Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slotcar building and Music!

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes

Slotcar building and Music!

Well I'm into this stuff that has always been close to me, #1 MUSIC.
    This week all I have done is to trying to resurrecting vintage home electronics, the reason is that my Sony 300 changer took a dump and I started looking at my old pride and joy the stuff that plays music while I solder away with my second hobby Slotcars.
    Not happy that the changer took a dump but I will fix it for sure, first step was going on the internet to find out what happened to this particular model Sony CDP-CX 350?
    This is what I have currently:
    The original Sony 100 cd changer.

Here is the single Sony player that is a ES series. No wonder that I'm poor?

Love this one the one in a casset with 10 cd's, got one in the Caddy as well.

Have to say I build my system around CD's and not a radio, because I hate advertisement.
    Yeap I got out and got a new one but it has a cheesy remote and its half price of my original one, the old one had a LCD display in the remote and the new one, no LSD it's sure is cheap.

Original Remote.

Where my cd's live now!

Spending time on restoration projects on YouTube to find tips and trixs?
    Well this is the stuff I need to fix up before I get to build any new slot car chassis, I need some good leads from ya and all the help I can get.

Tower of neglect.

The unit that went bad.

The new Sony CDP-CX 355, I guess the last five tells you that you got a cheap remote?

I guess I will posting about this projects so I can get back to build some chassis?
    I want to turn up my Disco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kP59BbZSGw

Nesta
    Last edited by 68Deville; 05-12-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Just be careful not to get any overspray on your CD stack!
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

i do not see one slotcar

Thanks Guy for you info. I did take out the CD's as you said I don't want to mess up the media that I love.
    I will post pics this weekend of my neglect old stuff.
    Guilt is a big part of my life.

Nesta
    Last edited by 68Deville; 05-09-2013 at 07:21 PM.

You might find this interesting?

More to come why I surf the internet.

Nesta
    Last edited by 68Deville; 05-10-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Well I pick a wrong day to tear this stuff down, 80 degrees today in my neighborhood.
    Dust and sweet and this would have been easier 20 years ago, but as you know time clicks on and ...I got a bit tired.
    This HiFi gear sure sucks up a lot of dust?
    Taking the stuff apart from the bookshelf.

Cleaned up and ready.

Dusty.

Last thing to get out and take apart to clean.
    Love this Onkyo amp.

More later.

Nesta

Don't Stop the Disco!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnEWHI2oFI

from an extended slot family member.

PM back

Nesta, your one heck of a inspiration.

After looking at this thread I went over and fired up my old Kenwood rack system for the first time in more then 20 years and plopped down a Moody Blues album, then went over to that other site and found that 'classic retro' discussion a.k.a RETRO-GATE.

Good tunes and a good laugh...don't get any better then that.

Thanks bro. Bob K.

Thanks guys for you feedback on this project. I got all of the bits clean and some of them got cleaned inside as well. This one is the Heart of the system Onkyo Integra M-504 Stereo Power Amplifier.
    I bought it back in 86 brand new.
    Needed to open it up for the first time to see how time has collected in the unit?
    Before and after pics after I cleaned it and was looking for leaky caps.

Sure looked hell of lot better then me after 29 years!

Specifications

Power output: 165 watts per channel into 8 ohms (stereo)

Frequency response: 1Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.003%

Damping factor: 140

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 120dB

Dimensions: 465 x 185 x 422mm

Weight: 22.5kg

Of course I was done yet because I always wanted a linear record player as well.
    So I found this one on Ebay,
    ONKYO PL-25F LINEAR TRACKING TURNTABLE

I payed 75 bucks plus shipping.
    Description from seller:
    “ORIGINAL OWNER, NON SMOKER, IN NEAR MINT CONDITION OWNER SERVICED: CLEANED AND LUBED INTERNAL MECHANISM. INCLUDES A AUDIO TECHNICA ATU12E2 CARTRIDGE AND LOW USAGE STYLUS.”
    The table was bought new with two other Onkyo products when I worked for a Mid-western Stereo and Appliance dealer (Fretter's: you can see this in the last picture if you look close) as an employee accommodation purchase. I used it for on and off periods of time over the years, but I must admit most of the time the table was packed away in storage in my homes extra bedrooms closet and taken out every few years to check on its working condition. I moved on to collecting CD's like most people did and the table was mostly retired from the systems I had owned over the years.
    That sounded good to me so I bid for it.

All function buttons are up front, so all controls are accessible with the cover closed. Fully Automatic Play and Return of Linear Tracking Tone Arm: just press play and the arm cue's up to either 12" or 7" records, you select size and speed with separate buttons then the table begins to play the record. There are functions for: Cueing arm up/down button, reject/play, buttons for arm to track left or right. I have some hi-resolution pictures that shows the table at all angles.

I have the table all boxed in the factory box. I will ship the table at buyers added cost DOUBLE BOXED for the added protection, and buyers preferred method of shipping.

Next is to fix the two Sony's and reinstall the system in the wall unit.
    I'm tired, it sure was easier back in the sixty's.
    Next week its time to build retro rides for the next S.C.R.R.A.

Nesta

Keeeerap. That Onkyo needed some cleaning!!
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Yeap' but the good news is, I found what was wrong with my 300 changer? Not the electronics just a simple thing like a 1$ belt that got stretched and fell of the pulley.
    Oh well, I still need to get the belts replaced and if they try to pull of some bs with me I will let them know what I think about them.
    I will buy one set for spare just in case!
    The unit was built in 1999.

Nesta

I turned in my 300 changer and my single cd player Sony CDP705ES player to get fixed.
    The shop I took it to is Encinitas TV repair and they are supported by Sony.
    Last thing for me is to wait for my new Onkyo record player coming through the mail?
    Then its time to hook it up and turn on a LP.
    I got three chassis to build for the June gig on the King track at BPR.

Nesta

Well this is where I'm at this point, retro HiFi stuff that was brought on by negligent from my side.
    I got my new old E-bay purchase the Onkyo linear player today and at the same time I decide to take out my old Pioneer turntable "PL 51A " to compare with what I bought, the old Pioneer has a SME arm and a very good cartridge made Ortofone MC 20 that is top notch even today.

The problem is that the Pioneer is hooked up for 220v transformer, its a European model and I brought it over from Sweden and I need to change it to 110v , not that hard to do. Next step for me was to buy a new cartridge for the Onkyo and I did today.
    The sad news was that my old seventy's player (Pioneer is better) then what I bought from Ebay, I was told that the old unit is much better machine all over?
    A good source if you need is Needle Doctor on the web they have high end stuff that I can't afford but so what else is new?
    Waiting for my stuff to get repair before I can hook the system up.
    That's Retro stuff for me.
    Next is hook up the system and see if it was worth it?

Nesta
    Last edited by 68Deville; 05-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Needle Doc has a lot of good stuff. I have an old Connoisseur table with a Mayware Arm and an Adcom cartridge. Also a spare Denon and Grado cartridge. Im in dis array because I have just emptied my house and am prepping it for sale. My stuff is in boxes two garages and two rooms here at my Fiancé's place.
    Guy Middleton

Thanks Guy for that info, matter of fact I found Needle Doc yesterday and I bough a new cartridge for the Onkyo, Ortofone.
    Hope that you get set up soon with your gig and I love to see your stuff in the future.
    Heck Retro slots and Retro players go hand in hand.

Nesta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast