Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slotcar building and Music!

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    I posted this yesterday on AudioKarma.org.

The reason why I quit HiFi stuff.
    First of all I would like to say I have been a music lover from the start and in my younger day I use to go to shops that sold high end stuff that I could not afford.
    Now in my older days I noticed that it's the same business as before where the guys that are bidding in mid range stuff to fix and turn around to sell on Ebay. So they can be able to make money to buy stuff that they really wanted in first place in their later years.
    It's not really about the stuff its more about their needs that they could not fulfill when they where young.
    So its as ugly as it was back then when you did not have the money to buy the good stuff to listen to the music that you love.
    Fix them up and turn it around and buy what you want.
    Out of here.
    Don't like snobs and audiophile guys, they sure look like they want to go to heaven with a bang.
    I have been doing forums and I'm still active with Slotcar racing.
    Here is a link to what I do out side of audio, on this forum I go under 68 Deville.

TODAY this what happened?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=522387

This guys would not give me the time of the day before, could it be guilt?

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Hey Nesta, it’s story time! (And it’s all your fault!)

Good idea, I need to clean out the sound system one of these days…

I pretty much don’t function around the old homestead without some tunes playing. These days that means I’m studying, but it is especially true when I’m scratchbuilding. Even back in the sixties I’d be building away with a stack of LP’s on the old record player (and if that image doesn’t make you shudder…).

In the seventies I started going through audio equipment faster than girlfriends… I met some of those “annoying” audiophile-types along the way, but at the same time I made friends with a bunch of guys who were just having fun with the toys to play the music they loved… Kind of like slot cars when you think about it… Or life in general…

When it comes to audio-goodies I’m more of a working-stiff music playing guy as opposed to the more sophisticated aficionados of sound reproduction (analogy: old Toyota hi-lux pick-up versus Bugatti Veyron).

In the 80’s when CD’s came out I only bought “new” music and didn’t buy CD’s of music I already had on vinyl (though I did pick up some for records I used to own that mysteriously disappeared over the years…).

So I still have my Technics SL-1200 Mk2 turntable sitting here (running through my Integra DTR-6 surround-receiver). But I did snag an Onkyo DX-RD511 CD player/recorder when they were available some years back. Now I can put my vinyl music onto CD’s…

But let’s face it, digitally compressed music files are here to stay. So a computer with a good sound card hard-wired to the surround system (and I have a dedicated external hard drive for music file storage) is my usual listening mode these days. The vinyl becomes CD’s; the CD’s become music files. The sound quality loss is regrettable but tolerable when it’s just background, while the playlist and random features from the larger music catalog is a plus. And, avoiding the commercial internet music streams, one can find some pretty good tunes playing on the web these days (try 3WK.com, you might like it…).

Tunes cranked up and working on the slot cars… Makes me smile just thinking about it…

But if I really want to kick back and just listen, I still break out the CD’s and even the old vinyl…

Ri(x)ck

Lately, its been too quiet. I've been building in complete silence. So, I've been enjoying playing some movies. Blade Runner and then Battle of the Bulge. Soylent Green is on the agenda. -m

Well Rich every thing that goes wrong is my fault and I will take ownership of that!
    Have to say I been waiting for my new styles for my turntable and its late!!!!
    Good thing is that I get my old stuff fixed and I will pick it up next week, sweet.
    I can't do nothing with out my music playing and this time I will play vinyl for sure, just give me the stuff so I can hook it up to hear the analog sound that is not compressed like the stuff that play on the radio stations.
    Its all good for sure and I love the movie Soylent Green but I did not know we where so close to it today?

Nesta

Well I did pick up my gear from repair and I all works but I did cost me!
    What broke was cheap rubber belts of course.
    I spend two hours to put back 300 hundred cd's and I was going to spend this weekend to hook it up, but Flygirls grandmother passed away this Thursday so we are going up to LA tomorrow to say goodby.

Next there will be pics how this system got hooked together. Have to say I'm getting itchy to build a new F1 and a CanAm.

Nesta

I did not get my stuff hooked up yet? I payed to get stuff repaired and I went back to spend my time on slots?
    I need to get this done before July is over!
    Have two turntables and I spend money on needles and I have not mustered up time to finish it up!

Nesta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12