+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A discussion, Spray Glue vs Glue racing

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track

A discussion, Spray Glue vs Glue racing

So with the Nats coming up real soon and surely there will be some proposals for migrating to spray glue racing in some of the classes. I'm curious what folks thoughts are.

Our experience at "THE TRACK", in Gaithersburg, Md. has been very positive since we switched to all Spray Glue format. Lap totals have increased, crashing is reduced, popping is all but elliminated, and races are overall cleaner.

It took a while to figure out exactly how to spray the track and what formula to use but now that we have it figured out, many of our racers indicate they really are not interested in racing glue in the future.

Your thoughts?
    I'm from Missouri, you have to show me

For what it's worth I think getting rid of glue would actually increase interest in Wing Car Racing. It would eliminate the need to have a "crew" to help you in between heats. You could actually do the race by yourself. Not possible now in the Glue Classes. I would keep glue for G7 and go spray glue for everything else. Before the flaming starts, I am not a wing car expert by any means and do not play one on TV!! LOL

Bernie Schatz

Spray glue for all group classes, G27 and down, is completely workable for Gerdings which is what the Nats are always on now. Easier on equipment and people and just as fast, probably faster. I would keep glue for all the open classes, OMO, Geezer, Semi Pro and Pro at the Nats. We race OMO in spray in NEUSRA, but the quality of Open racing in glue I believe is much better. I hate to think what Semi Pro at the Nats would look like in spray, we would probably be knee deep in dead bodies and busted equipment.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

I don't believe you need any proposals or a vote, the type of glue is specified only in SPEC 12 and 27 Light. All other classes are silent on the topic. There is a reference to discussing glue rules in the driver meeting before a class but the type of glue isn't mentioned. Also the Track Conditions section defines both types of glue conditions but doesn't designate a type to be used. Probably the BOD could just make a choice and that would be it. Not sure how that would go over but it seems it would be easier to change the glue rules then pretty much anything else in the rule book, since there isn't a rule. LOL.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Eliminate glue altogether and run silicones. Not happening with Wing Cars. Scale cars maybe. Retro maybe. 1/32 (no euros) very practical.

We have been racing spray glue in Australia since the start of last year for all wing car classes.

Changing to G27 Lite for our monthly races has dramatically increased attendances, and brought back several "retired" racers. I think it's fair to say that it's been responsible for an overall increase in interest in wing car racing at our track. As others have noted, the lap totals have actually increased, and this is on a "non-Gerding" track. Indeed, we don't have any real super-speedways here in Australia. The advantages we have seen are:

* Far fewer motor failures
    * Lower cost
    * You can practice and develop your cars anytime, not just when the track is glued up
    * No popping in glue, so track calls don't tend to beget more track calls
    * Higher lap totals (except Opens - see below)
    * More race entries
    * Fewer track calls
    * Massively multi-magnet open motors are not required (again reducing cost) - we generally need only one motor for the entire race.
    * Tyre choice is much simpler. Almost everyone uses Alpha Medium Wonder Rubber except at Rockhampton, where Kofords are definitely the go.
    * We can have a wing car race on the weekend, and the track can still be used for other racing and for rentals without being cleaned immediately.

It really has worked very well. Of course, no change is without its down side and Opens are a bit of a handful. That's not so much because they are too fast but rather because "bad air" is now much more of an influence. Previously, the cars were less susceptible to coming off due to bad air because they had this nice layer of adhesive sticking them to the track, but now it's a really important consideration. Coping with bad air is definitely quite a skill!

Overall, it's been very positive and there appear to be few complaints. Your mileage may vary.

I think there was a similar thread recently where someone linked to Paul Pfeiffer's article on F2000 (http://www.alphaslotracing.com/form2000art.pdf). Much of what he said seems to have been shown to be correct.
    Acme Slot Cars - Vorsprung durch slotnik

acmeslotcars.com

Tim,

Great recap. Your findings support all that we have also discovered at The Track (Gaithersburg, MD) since we have shifted to spray glue.

However, there is one issue that hasn't been mentioned. Spray glue saves wear and tear on the track and the braid. Since there is less cleaning between heavy glue races, there are less solvents placed on the track so that the braid adhesive is not impacted as much. Also braid cleaning between heats is also minimized, there again lessening the impact on the braid adhesive.

Raceway owners should see this as adding significantly to their bottom line because they don't have to repair braid as much. Other than for what has already been mentioned, racers should like this more because there are less track calls for braid being up...

Spray glue also levels the playing field between racers. As such it takes glue out of the equation during the race. Racers must now be able to tune their cars and adjust their driving style rather than lay down more glue. Racers following behind heavy gluers don't have to clean up after them and then lay down their own glue to be able to race. Hot and cold temperatures in the raceway will less of an impact on glue conditions when using spray glue instead of heavy glue. Racers coming from scale classes don't have to worry about having to learning how to glue to enjoy wing racing.

I think spray glue makes for much better racing across all the classes, for the racers themselves and the track owners.
    Last edited by wjdougherty; 06-19-2013 at 07:56 AM.

About time. I'm just surprised it took so long to have a meaningful discussion on this subject. I have raced many times in glue races and only a few times in spray glue races. It's spray glue for me. Mainly because I'm old and can't get around like I use to. Those 3 min breaks between heats allow me to sit down and relax my sore knees instead of struggling to glue my lane.

One more benefit to spray glue racing, no more giant hub tires at $20+ each. I sold all I had a few months back. Will be racing with .500 hub tires from now on.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Here in Rockhampton Australia we have been running every class in spray for the last 18 months including the 2013 Nats
    The totals are better here in every Class including opens we have also done away with the BYE for Qualifying and no more 16 volts
    Tim's comments reflect exactly what has happened here this form of racing can only encourage people to give wing car racing ago
    there is no way this raceway will return to glue racing
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

I did my first omo race at the 2012 wade 500. I had to race with beuf, bob everett, chris Everett. needless to say it wasn't fun. I didn't glue anything, I just followed beuf. that said, I had to race next to him, the not fun part, he was great and always said don't worry, but I was so lost with the whole glue thing. I raced in 27l without any issues. Again racing with the same group of guys. I qualified only .051 slower that the track record(beuf) and loved the race. My point is 27l was a blast, spray glue. omo was fun, kinda, but was a glue race. new for this year all racing will be spray glue.. YEA, I think I'm going to love racing opens more now. just one mid skill level racers thoughts
    IDAHO SCC
    dub motors
    herminator tires
    PMP chassis
    Redfox
    BBB

HI Roman
    just wondering what blend you use to spray and do you respray after Boxstock/INT 15 racing for 27 & opens
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

Spray Glue

We use a bottle of Koford Medium and a bottle of Koford or Camen heavy to 20 fl oz of coleman fuel. If you do it the night before and clean the braid in the morning, the track rips. I use up the entire 20 fl oz. As the rubber goes down the track just gets better.
    Thats right! The King of the "Roving Glue Thugs" thinks we should race in spray glue (except Opens).

Did I just agree with Roman??? Never mind!
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

Thats right! The King of the "Roving Glue Thugs" thinks we should race in spray glue (except Opens).

I never thought I would ever live to see the day that statement would be posted from Bent.
    From some one that has been racing the spray glue at Gaithersburg, I find the racing to be most enjoyable. As stated before the racing is cleaner not only in the driving but just the overall mess. As some one that wears glasses I find I do not have the residue from glue all over me or my glasses. Not to mention the fact that we are not breathing in the glue mist.

Now the only thing left to do is we as the USRA put forth a proposal to go to spray glue. I know this was put forth last year but for some reason it never made it out of the proposal meeting to be voted on by the membership. Not sure why. I am hoping that this will be the year that we will see it brought to a vote.

Lem

SPRAY GLUE..... Cause I think it promotes better driving and building for handling rather than using the glue to slow for corners and keeping the guide in the slot

OLPHRT
    PHIL I.

Like I said earlier there is no rule in the rule book that says the Nats must be run as glue. It's assumed but not required.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast