Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not anglewinders

Quote Originally Posted by wjdougherty View Post
    Don, Sorry for the confusion. We were talking about current retro development and not from the 60s. I'm sure that from the 60s, slotcars developed equally on both coasts. However, when D3 and IRRA began the retro resurgance they developed along different tracks with differing intents. As a result, everything in IRRA went inline while SCRRA (split from D3) has more flexibility with mixed inline/anglewinder building allowed.
    THat's actually not accurate---many of the same rules were created at nearly the same time by some of the SAME people!! Originally most of the rules were actually creating the same class's. Where the IRRA differed significantly is in the use of Puppy Dog motors. D3 rejected them early on as they were NOT any better at equality than the FK motors. And the fact you can get inside them easily was not looked on as an advantage for D3 who wanted to try to ensure no "cheating" with regard to motors! It is more about the CHASSIS and BUILDING!! Not motors. That's why the FK became the motor of choice. It eliminates the motor as best as possible from being the focus of the cars!
    IRRA DOES have anglewinder class--as did D3 in the beginning. Both had MORE in-line class's as they were trying to ENCOURAGE building--and inlines are easier to build! SCRRA split from D3 because of a tyrant trying to control D3 and the racers finally rebelled! SCRRA was born!! And SCRRA has added NO class's---only focused on the most popular--Can Am and F-1
    Last edited by timneja; 06-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Tim,

They may have started out on the same sheet but that didn't last very long. There are greater differences that you failed to mention, i.e. the differing widths of the F1 car, different body choices, and most importantly the lack of a West Coast weight limit. Also, the West Coast allows for anglewinders in Coupe, Stock car, 1/32d Coupe and Retro Pro, 4 classes you all run quite a bit. The only anglewinder class in IRRA is Retro Pro, a heavily restricted class, which most IRRA groups (except Ohio) have never run. These differences are a good reason there has never been a real East/West shootout...

I understand and that's too bad!! We've gone to the F-1 width in SCRRA now-- I think that makes it easier to build--but we haven't found ANY performance advantage!!
    Yeah--i'd like to see you guys run the "Coupe" and Retro Pro class's more as we do have a good following there and it allows for more variable building and racing!! IF we ever come east--I know our guys have run the Puppy Dog motors--it's just not our preference because it DOES cost a lot more money to run those in general--and even though the little FK's are junk--their reasonably consistent -- as good as any puppy dogs-- so that's why we stay with them! If it isn't broken--why fix it?
    Enjoy your racing--- I just think it's great that retro has increased interest in slot racing again!!

I think it was wise of Paul Sterrett to allow for one class of Retro to be a motor builder class. Retro Pro wasn't very well attended in the beginning simply because the concept of sealed motors took off and the establishment of a more level playing field made sense. Inline CanAm and F-1 are pretty much permanent fixtures in all of Retro, East and West. RP has gained more participation recently. Variety of interest without diluting the other consistent Retro classes is a good thing. Boredom and same 'ol is a negative against slot racing. Racing the Anglewinders twice a year has brought in very good response and I expect it to continue.

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Weight issues is not a big concern at S.C.R.R.A, face it the cars will get so light that you can't keep them in the slot!
    Its always easier to add weight then reduce it?
    As builders keep on to try to find the perfect weight and speed ratio they will find guys like Duran go by with a 100g + ride and bet all the light chassis.
    Had some rides that was 85g'ss and sadly they where horrible in the donut!
    I have found out what kinda works for me at this point and its a bit more then 90g.

Nesta
    Last edited by 68Deville; 06-21-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Thinking of the issue is that I can hardly run a inline and why would a angle winder make be a better racer?
    I might become a better builder?

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

The minimum weight in IRRAtm is kind of an equalizer. It makes the cars easier to drive for the rest of us who are not cyber slot racers.That is the whole idea of the Retro program.A level playing field so all of us can have FUN even if we don't win.

The same could be said for the use of the inline chassis layout. Yeah it's not as fast as an anglewinder,but SPEED is not the goal here,it's FUN. And from the looks of things,it is working out fine.If anyone want's to run an A/W they have the choice on both coasts. Build it,promote it,get at least two guys with one and you have a race. 20 showed up at Speedzone so there are plenty of cars out there.It was not an IRRAtm class but if guys want to race 'em,they have a venue to do so.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with having a "weight" limit!! It helps level the playing field builders and drivers alike!! Don't need to keep pushing the envelope of exotic materials to keep getting lighter and lighter!! Not a bad idea to help control costs -- It's a thought!!

I'd say the question is answered: A/Ws would make it a speed competition and that's just not what it's about.

If I may box it in, I'd say Retro Racing is indeed about racing the cars of a certain period even more than it is about scratchbuilding. Witness the kits and the fact that not everyone builds their own chassis.

For the builders it's a quest for the holy grail. That, as yet undiscovered, trick that will make an inline handle. Hopefully no one will find it because as they say - speed pretty much kills.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12