Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Home Mini King/Cobra "Style" build

Thank you sir. In all my searching around I did not find the two links you provided. I think most of the results from Gooogle anymore just call back up where you have already been. Pointless to me.......
    The way everything is made today, even the units from Tyco/Bosch will probably have some bad ones. I will definitely be getting a hand full of extras and at those prices of a couple bucks it does not hurt too bad.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Hi Raymond!

Will either of these work?

They might cost a bit more then the ones on on your links, but I added them to the OWH Slot Car Shop, as a matter of convenience... and just in case these turn out to be a good deal, then it could also make a couple dollars for OWH, and save other track builders some time from searching in the future.

Do you also need the sockets?
    Parts Express 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket
    http://oldweirdherald.com/shop/slotc...-relay-socket/

I found this 5 pack with sockets... wondering if that will work:
    AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS)
    http://oldweirdherald.com/shop/slotc...le-40amp-hrns/

Here's relays that look like the ones in your first link:
    Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A
    http://oldweirdherald.com/shop/slotc...ay-spdt-3040a/
    It displays $1.99 - but that is from other linked sources. The listed price from Amazon is $3.53.

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-18-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

We made some saw dust this past weekend. All the walls are attached and mostly cut down to height from track surface and side dimensions. I have three areas where I will be dropping the wall height down for better line of sight as planned. Something to note, we used 1/4" MDF in two layers both inside and out where possible. Outside was not a problem but the inside walls, with the exception of the banked turn of 29"R, had to be built using 1/4" plywood. The MDF even with a pre-bending fixture just could not hold the shape and would break.

Here are a couple shots of the wall build up. As you can see, you will need a lot of clamps. I bought 3" and 4" c-clamps from Harbor Freight. I also bought the $3 squeeze clamps half of which were junk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3083..jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	13283

Name:	DSCN3079..jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	13284

Here is how I made template for the banked turn walls both outside and inside. This worked pretty good.

Name:	DSCN3076.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	13282

Another thing to consider is making your walls plenty wide to allow easy trimming. I mean plenty wide. I cut the outside walls at 12" and the straights at 8". In some cases these were not enough after glueing. I would go 14" on the outside turns and 10" on the straights. You will have more scrap but the repairs should be minimal. I was planning on 2" walls height on the straights and 3" on the outside of the faster turns. For good line of sight some walls heights will be cut down to 1-1/4 to 1-3/8". I am doing this after the sides were cut to dim of 7" on the straights and 8" on the outside turns.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

So here are a couple of shots of the walls after buildup.

Name:	DSCN3085..jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	13285

Name:	DSCN3088..jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	13286

To cut them down I found that the tighter radii I have on three of the turns, as opposed to what Hillbilly has on his beautiful Green Hornet, the small circular saw did not have enough cut depth to cut through those walls completely. So I went back to the trusty router. As you can see a very simple block fixture was made to set the cut height. It worked great. The cutter / router bit is a 1/4" diameter Down Cut style. This type pushed the kerf material away from the router. We used a shop-vac to collect the kerf and it too worked fantastic. No dust in the air. Very little of anything on the track surface. The only issue was my trim router was getting real hot. We had to let it cool off and even help it some by blowing air through it. I believe in my enthusiasm to complete the job the router was over worked. Probably need to turn the comm and clean the brushes to bring it back to life.

Name:	DSCN3089..jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	13287

Name:	DSCN3091..jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	13288
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Awesome work. But 1 silly question. How are you posting your pix?
    I have been following your posts

To post the pics in the post - hit "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments".
    Select and upload pics, then click on "Insert Inline" if you want them IN the post (other option is as attachment - will appear below post)

Paul K @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Well I am back. Been hitting it real hard and hoping to have some help this weekend to finish the final sanding and get the drivers panel on. Running low on energy but have to keep pushing.

Here it is so far. Both cars are 1/24 to give some impression of scale. Of course this was shot at 12mm so it is VERY wide angle and a bit distorted.

Name:	_AAA7584_4_web..jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	13368
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

WOW---that's a LOT of home track!! Really nice---keep going--you're going to love it--eventually!!

Wow, awesome work !!! What is the foot print/ lap length

Foot print 19x27. Down the center it is 108 feet long. Front straight is 19feet to give you some idea of scale. The doughnut is 7ft in diameter. Bank is at 28degrees, turn two 4-6 degrees, turn three flat (kind of-it is up hill but no banking), the doughnut has 10 degree max bank and the lead-on is 2 degrees. Should be pretty fast and challenging at the same time.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

FANTASTIC MARK!! The size is surprising. You'll never get out of your basement!
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

My wife would tell you I do not leave the basement now except to go to work or the building supply store. As far as the size, it does eat up about 80% of that area. Good thing the other side of the basement, the finished party area, will be used for pit space when required.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Almost ready for paint. Some would argue that I am knit-picking some the the stuff I still want to work on but it is a lot easier to do it now than after the paint is on. Mike Z from Gateway Slot Racing came down and is a highly skill autobody guy. He found and corrected three areas on the track that needed to be smoothed out. Very shallow dips / bumps. I knew of two of them. So it should be real nice and smooth.

Another couple friends built the drivers station panel. All that is left is about two hours of sanding / filling in a couple places with bondo to smooth out exterior corners. One thing I have used is Durham's Rock Hard water putty. This stuff is very easy to use to fill in holes but do not use it on thin areas. Bondo for that.

Here is the shot with the drivers station panel.

Name:	_AAA7589..jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	13397
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    All that is left is about two hours of sanding / filling in a couple places with bondo to smooth out exterior corners. One thing I have used is Durham's Rock Hard water putty. This stuff is very easy to use to fill in holes but do not use it on thin areas. Bondo for that.

Here is the shot with the drivers station panel.

Name:	_AAA7589..jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	13397

Durhams is good stuff use it all the time....far easier to work with than bondo with minimal shinkage.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Hi Raymond!

Will either of these work?

PK
    Yes they all will work.

RB

On the Rock Hard, it does become what it says, rock hard. Sand it flush after about 45 minutes. I left some the hole fills sticking up and sanded the following day. The surrounding MDF will sand away much faster than the Rock Hard. I had to grind those hand full of wall fills down then come back with second coat of Rock Hard. Looks good now. Another technique I have been told is to let it setup for about 20 minutes and use a very sharp putty knife to cut the filler flush.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark