Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: New Home Mini King/Cobra "Style" build

Very neat wiring Mark. Love the panels ' very pro looking. Seems to be a lack of visitors to this great site. So much info here. Will be following your build ' it sure is going to be a dandy track. Your friends are very lucky. Thanks Indybob

It is ALIIIIIIVE.............. . I did a low amp power supply test. Each lane functioned as designed with reversing and scoring. I had to run a car around. It was so slippery the car barely hung on in the bank. Non the less, it works. All I need to do now is clean it up, put some glue down and test under full power.

Ya-Whoooooooooo.

One last thing to do as well. I need to hook up the tire cleaning / burnout stations. Just ran out of wire.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Some have asked to see a wiring diagram so here is the final wiring diagram I used to have a single switch to reverse the system. Please keep in mind while I believe this to be accurate, if you choose to follow it, you do so under your own responsibility. So please have it reviewed by an expert if you lack those skills. Just saying.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REV WIRING DIAGRAM-Common Relays.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13622

If you use a light bridge the scoring segment can be ignored.

The PDF is too large for up load. If you want that, it has a white background and black lines, please PM me.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

I added a pit box to one end of the drivers stand. One more will go on the other end. The braid is set at the same depth as the track so drivers can check the guide height without putting the car on the track. The button is to check the motor and or to spin up the axle to clean the tires of lighter fluid.

Name:	DSCN3137..jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	13635

Name:	DSCN3136..jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	13636

Name:	DSCN3135..jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	13637
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Cool!!
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

I was at a friends house last night putting tape down on the track he is rebuilding. His gains were a bit deep so he went with the .010" tape. It seemed to stick better to the track when pulling the backing off than the .005" stuff. Just an observation. I do believe however the .005" is enough for most as mine is held real tight.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Mark, thank you for everything you have been posting.
    I am in the process of rebuilding my track and all of your posts have been a big help to me
    I will post some pix of my progress, when I actually make some
    If you made a video I would be a top seller for sure. I know I would buy one
    Thanks..... Rock....

You have a great thought there. I should have taken video as well of key operations throughout the build. I can however create a slide show with captions, arrows and narration.
    Perhaps when I get some spare time. Of course it would only be from a non-expert as this is only my first rack build. Then again, it would not be in the best interest of the professional builders to do the same.
    I know I mentioned it in this thread somewhere, but I will say it again. The pro track builders are earning every penny. It is a very labor intensive thing to build a track. Plus when going with a pro, you are buying their vast knowledge base on your build that is priceless.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Here is the final image of the completed track. We hit it real hard this week with cleanup, touch up paint and setting up the track area. Seven of us ran it yesterday for 5-6 hours. Everything worked fine. The track is very fast and the corners are will challenge your trigger finger. We ran it in both directions. I think I like it better going from driver's right to left than left to right. It seems to have better flow. That said, no one could say they definitely like it one direction over the other so it must be pretty good both ways.
    Today a second group of racers are coming over to do some testing.

Name:	_AAA7620..jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	13716
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

I have compiled a list of things to note. Some of it is short hand so ignore spelling-grammer issues.

Track build: the good, the bad and the ugly

Things I would do again: (the Good)
    1) Planning the track layout until I find exactly what looks and feels good
    2) Build a large work table
    3) Router out the legs profiles (most likely job out to CNC)
    4) Pre-build the tongue and groove joints to mount the legs to
    5) Use urethane glue to hold everything together
    6) Router cut the turn sections from full sheet
    7) Glue the wall blocks to all track sections(no staples or screws)
    8) Set all the legs to the same height on initial install (easy routing)
    9) Use wax paper to separate the joints when gluing to track sections
    10)Clamp the joints with cross board in center to keep flat
    11)Route first slot with jig to make correct gutter dim in turns
    12)Route half way down tangent straight so elliptical jig will work
    13)Route the gains with trim router that is permanently set for whole track
    14)Pull bank over extended period of time with small ratchet tie downs
    15)Apply boards to straights to even out the flow between turns
    16) Set height of track from lead-on back to lead-on
    17)1/2” MDF walls on straights
    18) ” MDF walls on outside of turns
    19)1/4” BC plywood on inside of turns
    20)Trim top of walls down with down cut router to initial height
    21) Trim bottom of walls to 7” minimum width with drop fixture/router
    22)Trim tops of walls with router and ” cutter to good line of sight heights
    23)Sand tops / bottom of walls with medium grit sand paper to round corners
    24)Use bondo to fill holes or smooth transitions as needed
    25)Clean up / vacuum the track and work area often-more the better
    26)Use pin and straight edge to position router when connecting two straights
    27)Vacuum used when doing any routing to keep dust down
    28)Vacuum and clean whole work area before painting
    29)Zinnser sanding primer with ” woven nap
    30)Rustoleum 5300 Epoxy paint with ’ woven nap roller
    31)Paint gains with quality brush-keep smooth when epoxy goes on
    32)Use VHB tape-.005” seems ok--.010” may be a bit better
    33)Slot Car Corner braid
    34)1/4” holes for drops away from joints
    35)18ga staples to hold and overlap braid to bottom of track
    36)Latex enamel for out wall color
    37)Semi-gloss black for top and inside of walls
    38)Cove molding on inside of outside walls in turns
    39)2 sided tape to hold cove molding on
    40)Set up relay boards to race track in reverse
    41)Use 12ga stranded for main power(up to G12 motors)
    42)Drivers stand to include tire cleaning pit box
    43)Driver panels to be printed/laminated and fully labled
    44)Controller holders (Slot Car Corner)

The Bad: things I wish I had not done
    1) Multiple sections to make banked turn. 2 options: a-use one large sheet, b-use 4” lap boards at joints to allow for smooth bending
    2) Paint the legs with FLAT paint. Should have used semi-gloss. Flat sticks to itself when bolted together. Probably best to paint after assembly.
    3) Walls should have been much wider before installation. Too much pre fitting when installing
    4) Pull the bank from the outside of the turn. It broke. Repaired and pulled bank from ends of straight worked fine.
    5) Drilled a bunch of holes to secure the long transition boards on the straights. Should have come up through the slots-less repair work
    6) Top legs-only a handful needed to be as tall as designed.
    7) Flat turn two – it should have had a bank around 10deg
    8) Bolts holding the joints together were too far down the 2x4. I needed to add two more bolts close to the track surface.
    9) Should have loosened the bolts on the joints when pulling the bank. This would have allowed the bank to form more evenly not requiring repairs.

The Ugly: Repairs that could have been avoided
    1) Number 9 and 4 above. The main track surface broke at the joint on both the bank and the top of the doughnut. These were repaired but cost much extra time
    2) Number 5 above – too much time filling in those holes with bondo
    3) Durham’s Rock Hard should not have been used. On another track I know of the filled screw holes are popping up. All holes were drilled out and filled with bondo.
    4) The ” MDF used to laminate the outside walls was again cut too short for the turns. Repairs required new wedge type pieces cut and glued into plae then cut down to final height.
    5) When cutting the gains the first couple of times the guide pin of the cutter was not in the slot. This caused the bit to cut little divots into the normal track surface.
    6) Stapled the braid at the drops without the braid being fully flat to bottom of track. This allowed the staples to cut through part of the braid. Extra braid and or metal plugs were used to ensure electrical contact.

Edit: Added the following 2/20/2014
    7) I failed to lightly radius the top edge of the slots. This caused the guide to have excess drag and made the cars stick or flip out without warning. The MDF failed about a 1/16" down and lifted up. Repair was to take some 150 grit paper and lightly sand a radius on the top edges. I also found that adding Super Thin-Super Glue to the slot made the MDF 292% stronger. I did this to all the turn's slots inside and outside. The cars run real smooth and not more MDF breakage has happened...yet.
    See this thread.
    Last edited by Mark H; 02-20-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Mark, I am planning on building a track in the basement. On Post #36 is showing the "Quad and the Elliptical Routing Jig", where can I get the drawings or information on the tools you are using. You did a GREAT JOB in building your track.

Well Greener, I plotted out the geometry in Solidworks to create a 6" gutter in the turns from the gutter width down the straights. I went overboard as usual and positioned the rollers for the four different radii on my track. Maybe overkill if the radii are pretty close to one another.
    If you would like, send me the outside radii of your track surface, how much gutter you want and what the gutter is on the straights and can give you the distance between the rollers. If you want to go with the "Quad Roller" or the Dual Wheel Roller let me know that as well. I came up with the Quad Roller to help minimize any bumps or undulations when cutting the first (Most important) slot.

The elliptical fixture has the pins 6" apart and centered off the true cutter position which is 4.5" perpendicular to the pin's center line. A dim of less than 6" will reduce the amount of Offset Gain you will get in subsequent lane cuts and the "Elliptical" effect will be reduced. If the pins are wider you will see a more pronounced "Elliptical" effect and the slots will be further apart as you progress to the inside slots.

Planning is the most important part of the whole project. Be sure you know exactly what you are going to do before the saw dust fills the air.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Mark, I am using the same measurement you are using on your track. Yes, I am going with the "Quad Roller". My track lane width is 4 1/2", 6" outside gutters, 4" inside and have been looking at the elliptical routing. I am always looking for good information in building a track plus I enjoyed reading a book by John Ford, "How to: Build a Slot Car Track". If you need any more information in building my track please let me know. The information that I have read on this forum have been very helpful to me. I also get overboard when I work or plan a project. You are right, planning is the most important part of the whole project. Mark...you did a GREAT JOB building your track !!! Have a Safe and Great Day! rg

Gathering information from a bunch of sources and then picking the ideas that make the most sense to you is the best way to go. I will post dims on the "Quad Roller". Unfortunately It seems the model and drawings are missing. I will have to regenerate those unless they appear in the last place I look.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

Mark H...Could you e-mail me at revgreene77@hotmail.com Have a Safe and Bless Day!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789