Thread: Racing surface paint questions

Racing surface paint questions

Question about paint

Ok, think Im ready. I have leveled the track, replaced some leggs. Ive cleaned the surface with acetone and naphtha. Im ready to take a slice with the router. I took a thin slice in the spring and I didn't like the way it looked. The braid gains looked like a dashed line. Deeper in some spots more than others. Just enough to remove the paint but, it still looked un-nerving to me ( first time track rebuild ). So now that Im all level and happy Im ready to cut. Im going to use an oil based primer sealer on the raw braid gains. But, now Im thinking I should just paint the whole track surface while Im at it. I want to have all the supplies purchased and ready as soon as the gains are cut, Long Island N.Y. Is a humid place.

So, here are the questions.
    What paint is recomended for the racing surface?
    Is there a tool to paint the lane striping? Hopefully something rides in the slot

Chris if your out there what paint would you recomend???

I am using Rustoleum 5300 water base Epoxy. The best price I have found is from Zoro Tools, free shipping too. Many colors to chose from or base for tinting.

Dick Blick striping tool. One Shot paint is highly recommended.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

The lowest cost pinstriper (if can still be found) is the "MASTER" brand pinstriper with the glass bottle for under $20. Last one I bought was from Blick (on closeout).... That design has been around since the model T. For our purposes, use clean track glue bottles for paint jars instead of the glass - squeeze the bottle for an even flow. I also use an old flag with a pocket cut in it to guide the striper for a smoother line.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Be sure to check out OWH's Slot Car Shop - an Amazon.com affiliate store.

I've gathered up a bunch of tools and supplies for track building, lane striping tools, and One Shot paints for track builders in the Track Building section!

Remember that purchases placed through OWH's Slot Car Shop help to support keeping OWH & Slot Car Talk forums online!

The Master Paint Striping Tool is actually available from Blick, as stated above... but is available via Amazon through the OWH Slot Car Shop.
    All the same stuff is available, and at the same prices, but the small % affiliate commission on orders placed through the OWH Shop will help support OWH Slot Car Talk!

The double line striper kit is around $23 on Blick, but the only one I found listed and available on Amazon was the single line kit - which comes with a bunch of tips, but runs $60.

I'm not sure OWH gets anything for clicks on the "external web site ads" listing for the double line version... but if that's the one you need, and if you can find one cheaper... then grab it. Make sure it includes the tip you need though - I believe the 1/8" is what you want (Larry, Mark H, or anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

I added the Rustoleum 5300 paints to the Track Building section... but I'm not sure which of the Greys or the Black or even the Dunes Tan (as used on "The Chief" at PSCR) is preferred, as I did not see any color samples, and it's really a personal choice anyway. You may be able to get the Rustoleum at your local paint store... depending on whether the cost of shipping out weighs the convenience of getting it online.

Track Building / Lane Striping Supplies

Paul K @ OWH
    (shameless plugmeister)
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-14-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I will go to amazon. I have another quick question. I bought the Rustolium professional garage floor paint with the specles in the bag. That is a 2 part epoxy mix. I have a whole unopened 2 gallon package.
    Can I use that paint rather than the 5300??
    I have a portion of my garage left to do that's why I already have that around. I will have enough to finish and do the track

Paul, I did not realize you have an affiliated store with Amazon. I will definitely get my One Shot from your store.
    Rock- Obviously leave out the paint chips on the track. I say this assuming they will not all lay flat. As far as it working as a track coating, I have read here that a lot of people have used it with good success.
    The color I am using is Silver Grey for the track surface. I was leaning towards Black but felt it would be easier to all the car colors on the Silver Grey.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

I agree on color. Black is really cool, but as far as visability goes I also think the silver grey would be better for me.
    And yes no chips. I have them on the floor, they are Far from flat. I'm ad this paint will work well. The boss (read) wife is seeing a lot of money going into this project. It's worth every penny, I can't get my 20 year old son to stop helping. It's awesome. Thank you all for taking time to help me along

Rock.......

The best paint for striping the track is latex. Once dry, no solvents will touch it. One Shot has good coverage but you will get color if you rub a little on cleaning the track and they fade over time. You can probably buy all 8 colors in small latex bottles for the price of one can of One Shot and I assure you, it will hold up better..................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

While track color is (a matter of personal taste).....

Black is only scale accurate to new/rain soaked asphalt. Dark cars are very difficult to see and race.
    Brown/tan replicates many clay or dirt tracks. I painted a small oval for sprint cars and womps.
    Dark gray (and black) tends to need/require more room lighting.
    Light gray is best to me...the only cars that are hard to see are silver.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 10-20-2013 at 07:26 PM.

60 year pin 1959-2019
    USRA 2019 member

Dang....Everybody's covered what I would have suggested so I keep quiet and let the conversation progress.....

Ahh Rustoleum Silver Grey kinda North West Seattle wet asphalt (fried in summer) type looking.....kinda like the skies we get on a warm winter morning, which is always a good day to go shopping on OWH Amazon....back to my morning bowl of oatmeal and online shopping.

Raymond

Help--- machinist with a piece of wood

Ok, i think im chasing my tail. Just how level is level. Im using a 6 ft straight edge and trying to get my straights as flat as possible. But, when i put the straight edge on the out side lane im flat. Then when i put the straight edge on the inside ive got space under the straight edge like 1/8 to 3/16. Im putting the straight edge on the side boards and i have a 4 lane track. In have one high spot with about 3/16 over 5 ft. Am i over doing it or should i be dead on before i keep going. This is my home track and i want to run wings to wamps
    Thanks guys........ Rock......

Ok i put that in the last on in the wrong place. Now my question for here. Should i get the oil based primer for the braid gains and then repaint the track with the epoxy. Or just use the epoxy paint and not worry about the primer???. This is an important one. In the morning im going to cut the gains with the router. Is the primer a time bandit? Should i go for it?

Ok, never mind. I just saw another post that says primer is a must.

YES primer is a must - an sand it smoother than the wood. Bins/zinser for a base, water base or oil for a second coat. The water based epoxy does not seem to care as long as the base coat is dry and dust free.

If you find irregular sags on the random areas of a track, it is easy to add linear ribs to the sag spots to shore them up - between lanes, not under the slot.

60 year pin 1959-2019
    USRA 2019 member