Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LapMaster software available for download.

New LapMaster software available for download.

For those of you that might be using the LapMaster system for race management, there is a new version available for download from the website http://www.lapmaster.dk

This version includes the much requested function to do individual statistics for each heat.
    The option for 2 driver sitout in round robin.
    Option for chosing any font on the scoreboard for better readability using projectors.
    Restart options in case of power or computer failure.
    Much better integration with Microsoft Office or freeware OpenOffice.
    And a lot of small details to make the program even more user frindly.
    Best regards,
    Carsten Groennemann.

Good news for many who use this software, no doubt.

What I have seen as a definite need amongst clubs/raceways where there are low numbers of racers is the ability to run a round robin with 6 racers, for example, using only 4 lanes at a time, usually the red to orange set first, followed by the blue to black set. This was a much-used option in SRT, but seems to be missing in Lapmaster (unless the people running our races just don't know how it is done).

Thanks
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

We just installed LapMaster at The garden State Isra Club and are running into the exact problem dennis posted about there are times when we need to run a round robin with six or seven racers and use top 4 bottom 4 so we can have marshals and i have tried and can't get it to work. Carsten any help for this problem
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

There is a trick to using "dummies" (no - not the dummies that are racing... fake dummies) so that you always have 4 racing and the others marshaling.

It should not really matter which lap counter system you are using, because it is simply a matter of spacing the drivers between the "dummy" names so that they rotate with 4 real drivers on the track each heat.

They did this at a race I was in at Foster's Raceway in Santa Maria CA many years ago, where I was at a race with the late Larry Shephard.

They used the double-out rotation - sit-out after white and back on red... and sit-out after purple and back on black.... but I can not seem to remember how the dummies are spaced.

I do not have Lanemaster or SRT installed on this PC - or I would set up a fake race with 10 second heats to test it. Kinda tricky to work it out on paper.

I have set up a few races this way before.... but I think I got it wrong the first couple times and had all marshals and no drivers one heat (DOH!).

I think the trick is to have twelve names, including the dummies... and input the names on lanes so that you wind up with 4 "real" drivers on the track... your 2 or 3 other "real" drivers sitting out and marshaling, and the dummy names filling in the gaps. The hard part is that you need a "matrix" or template that tells you which lanes or sit-outs to put the "real" drivers and which ones get the "dummy" names.

Maybe Mark (Mid-Cal Racer) who races there might know - or can ask Steve Foster for the secret recipe...

I tried it on a scrap of paper and my head is spinning now...

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

No matter which systems..I've just put in a fake name for the fake racers. I use something wierd so not to confuse anyone. Pepe1, Pepe2, Pepe3...etc.
    Pepe is my Tshirt guy, never races.

BUT..I am almost sure under track set up you can change the lane rotation and set up which lanes etc. But I have never done that. I just use the fake names and get it rolling.

I let everyone choose their lane and then the fake racers get to choose LOL even works with a sitouts.

OH...make sure you change the number of racers to how ever many entries fake and real.

Call me next time if you need help. Glad to help. 214-704-5755
    Shontel

Dallas Slot Cars
    dallasslotcars.com

I agree Shontel, but there must still be an optimal spacing of the dummies. This would be independent of any software system. Anybody know it?

Greg

Put the empties, blanks or dummies on red, orange, blue and black lanes and in the second sit out of a 10 stint race. Racers sit out for two stints after white lane. This will ensure at least one racer to run the track call button during the race if you have at least 5 entries. If more racers show up just swap the empties for racers. The best is 12 racers with 4 sitting out to marshal but how many tracks have 12 racers for weekly events?
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

Quote Originally Posted by nswanberg View Post
    .......... but how many tracks have 12 racers for weekly events?
    We do frequently.

But we only have a 6 lane track so it works out fine
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Some of you people are missing the point here . Its about running top 4 lanes and bottom 4 lanes in a 6 man round robin without the need for dummies . full race's are no problem pretty straight forward
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Yes, there might be a case for another race setup option.

I thought it could be done as a combination of "Half-track" and "Two rounds".
    However you still need to fill in dummy driver (#1, #2 #3 #4, d1, d2, d3, d4, #5 d5, #6, d6) to make it Work. And then manually move then to another set of lanes at the round's intermission to make it work. Admittedly not a straight forward procedure.

As of now, there is no better way. Ofcause I would have selected to run two heats of 3 persons each. If you don't want the long delay in between driving, choose "Big-rotation" and noboddy sits out for more than one stint.
    Best regards,
    Carsten Groennemann.

Mic,

I didn't miss the point, it was a different point: that if you didn't have the 4/4 option, how would you set up the dummies optimally, and Nelson answered that well, and I thank him. Carsten will have to put in the 4/4 stuff in the next upgrade, and it sounds like he's considering that.

Greg

OK
    After many different combos and a few hours of trying this is what i came up with .with help from nelson red orange blue and black are setup as dummy 4 racers go in other lanes then 9 is a racer 10 is a dummy 11 is a racer 12 is a dummy. this keeps 4 racers on track at all times and 2 off for marshals .the only problem is the racers don't race next to each other like they would in bottom 4 top four but for know it will work . it has to i'm not changing back to srt . i have the software installed on my computer at home makes it easier to learn . going to try and juggle racers and dummy to see if i can get them to race closer together.will post if i get it figured out . would love to see an upgrade for the top 4 bottom four round robin type format.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Great!

I do not have LapMaster or SRT installed on this PC - so unable to run a test race... but if you already tested it, then it should work!

I'm calling it the "2/4/6/8 Lane Rotation" (for lack of anything better)
    - because it accommodates 2 marshals, 4 drivers, 6 racers, and 8 lanes.

I made a quick cheat sheet in Excel that can be printed & cut to fit in your wallet or stick on the PC.
    I'll post it here... but the formatting & colors will not work so good here - so I'll have to upload the excel sheet and post a link to download it also:

2/4/6/8 Lane Rotation
    2 marshals
    4 drivers
    6 racers 8 lanes
    STARTING LANES:
    RED Dummy 1
    WHITE Racer 1
    GREEN Racer 2
    ORANGE Dummy 2
    BLUE Dummy 3
    YELLOW Racer 3
    PURPLE Racer 4
    BLACK Dummy 4
    #9 SIT Racer 5
    #10 SIT Dummy 5
    #11 SIT Racer 6
    #12 SIT Dummy 6

Here's the link to download the spreadsheet - with better formatting & in living color:
    2-4-6-8 Lane Rotation (excel spreadsheet download)

Thanks Mic & Nelson - for posting this rotation!

PK @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 11-22-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

OK... I guess because I'm a bit OCD... I wanted to check the actual race rotation out.

I get confused between the #9 - #12 as to which one comes in first and which starts last... so I worked it out both ways.
    I always get mixed up on this when I set up round robin races, and drivers are picking lanes (and they are often also confused when picking lanes).

It winds up that it doesn't matter in this case - since there are always 2 racers and 2 dummies sitting out - it does not effect the number of drivers and marshals.

For anyone else who might be a bit OCD, or just want to see the full rotation - here's the link:
    2-4-6-8 Lane Full Race Rotation
    (excel spreadsheet download)

Corrected version (see post #16 below)
    2/4/6/8 Lane Rotation Chart & Lane Pick Cheat Sheet (Excel spreadsheet download)

Nelson & Mic - please check my charts out and see if I did anything wrong or backwards...

PK @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 11-23-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

9 comes in first
    Shontel

Dallas Slot Cars
    dallasslotcars.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast