Thread: AMP Draw on Group 27 Armatures?

AMP Draw on Group 27 Armatures?

What is a min and max AMP Draw for a Group 27 Arm? what determines a dud? and what determines that it is a fast arm? I have them from 4.0 to 6.5 amp range , what is the high limit as the arm might be shorted? or is that a way to tell? any info would be great , they all run but why are the amp level so different? thanks.

These are all Koford current armatures .490 / .495 / .500 diameters

All were measured at 3V

Feels about right; with higher timing higher draw.
    zipper

Amp draw don't determine a good from a bad arm unless it's pulling 13+ amps at 4v. Metering them helps in some ways but the only tried and true test to determine a good and bad 27 arm is to put it on the track. Brushes and spring tension can have a major play in amp draw also
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Sounds about right, I have always found that my faster combinations tend to draw higher then average amps. Interestingly my 15's draw in the same range, go figure ?! To check for a short set your power supply at 3 volts put one clip on the shaft and with the other clip touch the little tip the wire is brazed to on the comm (not on the comm face though). Do it to all three, if you get amps when you touch it you have a short. A simple continuity test. If you have one with a short, before you chuck it, turn the volts up to about 6 connect the short, sometimes if its a minor short, it will smoke briefly then stop. Sometimes you get lucky and the short stops (kind of like cauterizing a cut), and the arm is still usable. I usually check the resistance on that stack before I try it again. It doesn't always works but no harm in trying, since it's not usable otherwise and if you save one out of ten arms you are ahead of the game.
    Last edited by hesketh; 02-14-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

You can have a short on one pole and not effect the arm, it's when two have a short, that is a problem......
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Thanks for the info , will check them.

Koford Controller Runs Wide Open when hooked up to Track

I have been using my Koford controller model M659 Electronic linear MOSFET controller with no problem , tonight after it was hooked up it worked fine for a bit then it ran the car wide open , the trigger was returned all the way but still ran wide open , I switched to my DiFalco and tried the Koford controller out later , same thing it ran the car wide open , any idea's??? thanks.

Sorry I thought I was starting a new thread.