Thread: adjustable voltage?

adjustable voltage?

How would i go about doing this? I have a king with two d8 batts,two bulldogs,and 3 caps. How can I add an adjustable voltage option to it?

One option is a device called a Tilt N Tech. They do not make them anymore but can be purchased used.

I'll start looking

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Speedfreak, can you be a bit more specific about what you want to do? You have a substantial amount of power available on your track and I don't believe the Tilt & Tech, even though it's a pretty cool device, would fare well if/when you run higher amp drawing cars through it.

If you are looking to have a party setting or lower voltage setting on the track, it can be done with wire (choke) for very little $$ but is not really "adjustable"

Also, your Bulldogs should have 2 power (voltage) options available on them, looks like a RJ11 phone jack, plugged is is setting one, unplugged is setting two, I think I recall like 13.8 and maybe 14.2? not sure, I'm not a Bulldog guy
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

End use voltage IS really the question. Wing car qualifying is a few volts higher than race voltage. Usually the higher plug voltage is enough, but I prefer to do everthing on race voltage, Your batteries and the bulldogs should be very happy with 13.8 Vdc.

I would set up a way to switch in/out your power sources so that the batteries can be isolated. With rentals, you really have no need for massive amperage and reducing the voltage is not that hard. I have added a fourth controller post to several tracks with resistors and (even better) diodes.

Four radio shucks 3 amp diodes in series(end to end) will give a nice 3 volt(+/-) drop that makes rentals for the under 8 crowd much calmer. Saves on repairs as well. The fourth post (GRAY) is connected to the white post by the diode chain. Controllers then use the gray post instead of the white for hook-up...good for time-out issues as well. This works with batteries or bulldogs.

Newer power supplies with the plug also have a small tuning pot that internally adjust that high/low voltage. The modified drag units that are 16 volts have this pot cranked up. The pot can also be removed and made into an external (behind the counter) control as well.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

thats more of what I was looking for! was thinking along adjusting the whole track,but the diode idea works! got a project for next week now.