Big ONE

Big storm headed for the Islands Take Care MOM!:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...id=msnhp&pos=4
    Cheeto Racing

Stay safe......
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

"One of the biggest storms ever" Take cover, brother! Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours!
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Stay safe. If it's not too late, check to make sure your cell phones are charged and you know where the flashlights are.

Take care Mom

Super Typhoon Yolanda (International name Haiyan) has hit the Philippines hard - but has missed Mindanao and we are fine here in the Davao region. In fact no storm here in Panabo at all. Initial predictions had us in the bottom of the path - but it stayed up north of Mindanao.

We live in the Davao Gulf area - right at the top of the gulf at the bottom of the southern island of Mindanao - just below the path of Yolanda.

We had a brief brown-out this AM, and the internet was down for a while... so I took a nap. When I got up and rebooted the modem, I was back online... with several messages from family & friends asking if I am OK.

Amor's brother is working in the middle east - and his family (that visited us this past summer) lives in Leyte - right in the middle of the path - so trying to keep in touch with them. Have now heard that the whole region there has no power - but family in Leyte is safe. Also Amor's other brother's family lives in Cebu... hoping they are ok too.

The island of Bohol is still recovering from the big 7.1mag quake just a month ago - now getting hit hard by Typhoon Yolanda...

It's hard to even fathom how powerful 300 mph winds are...

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/re...makes-landfall

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/11...ds-us-military

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 11-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Great to hear that you are all OK, Paul.

Tonight's TV news here did not paint a very pretty picture
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

We have a sister-in-law, 3 nieces and a nephew living in southern Leyte - exactly where that first purple dot is on the map in my post above.

Their father - (Amor's brother Jojo) is working in Qatar in the middle east. It's hard to imagine how hard this must be for him - and how helpless he must feel right now.

Last night he was leaving Facebook open on his laptop, and loaded up his cell phone to keep in touch with his family... but now since their power is off, and possibly their cell phone service may also be down... I would think he must be crazy worrying about them.

I have read many moronic posts on American news sites showing that there are still idiots who think that everyone in the Philippines still lives in bamboo huts. Many don't realize that Cebu is a very large modern city that looks a lot like Los Angeles. The rural areas in the provinces do still have a lot of homes that are built from whatever materials they have - but these are real people with real families, just like all of us.

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Hello paul are you okay??!!!

Hey, I'm concerned about Paul. Thoughts and prayers ! That big storm hit the Central Visayas region in the Philippines where Paul is staying. All communications are down except for short wave radio. I'm sure Paul would be posting here if he were able. -m
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Typhoon10..jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	13443  

Paul has already advised us that he is/was to the south of the storm and was unaffected

News of the devastation as well as climbing death toll has been ongoing...

Thankfully, the typhoon hit up north of us - I have been told that down here in the Davao Gulf has never had problems with typhoons, since it is protected by the Gulf of Davao.

We have family up in Leyte - right in the middle of it. Amor's brother is working in Qatar, and his wife & kids are in Leyte... so I can't imagine how worried he must have been. The family and their house are fine, but our niece Cindy texted that they may not get power restored for at least a month. We sent her a cell phone load to help keep in touch - but I have no idea how they can keep their cell phone recharged.

Here's the other thread:

http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...?37469-Big-ONE

I will probably merge the threads and move them to the "Out of the Slot" forum soon...

Thanks for all the concern and well wishes!

Paul K @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald