Thread: Pop-up ads

Pop-up ads

What is the deal with some of the ads? Has anyone else got the nasty toe fungui ad? Come on Paul let's get rid of that!

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by nick_2125 View Post
    What is the deal with some of the ads? Has anyone else got the nasty toe fungui ad? Come on Paul let's get rid of that!

Todd
    I have never experienced any "pop up" ads. I may have pop up ads blocked on my browser - but I have no settings for ads that call for any pop up ads.

The ad content is controlled by YOUR recent viewing history, your location, and various other factors. We are seeing different ads based on what pages and keywords show up in your web viewing history, and some is simply random. I generally see ads for Asian versions of Craig's list, and Asian online dating sites... based on my IP location.

I can deselect some categories of ads to now allow, and I have blocked a few like online gambling... but I think a while back I unblocked the "health" category because I read that many of those ads pay more. The majority of "health" type ads I have seen are related to weight loss... I had not seen any toenail fungus ads.

The ads help pay the bills... a very necessary evil.

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Microsoft and other web browsers, in their wisdom, have the ability to track down all those wicked evil sites that you visit during the course of your private browsing sessions (wink, wink) and for reasons best known only to them, produce/encourage all those wonderful "pop up" ads to appear on your screen - normally when the missus, girlfriend, or the kids are standing next to you whilst you are viewing whatever in on your pc monitor

There are good programmes available (which everyone should have installed on their pc) which stop or block these daily intrusions.

Get yourself a good anti-virus and/or malware programme

Maybe pop-up is the wrong term it is the ads on the site. And no I have not looked at fungus stuff nor anything I need to hide, so that is not the issue. The ad is just nasty wait till you see it.

Todd,

My earlier reply was meant to be tongue-in-cheek

Where on the page do these ads appear?

I was a bit concerned when you said "pop up" - which normally refers to ads that literally "POP UP" by opening in a new small window. These can be extremely annoying and most people install pop-up blockers on their browsers to prevent them.

The ads on OWH / Slot Car Talk should not include any "pop up" ads that appear in a new window. So I guess what you meant was simply ads that appear on the page normally (but figuratively pop up in your face... not as a new window).

I doubt that the toe fungus ads are so specifically targeted at anyone who has searched for toe fungus cures... or they would tend to hit an extremely small target audience. Advertisers target their ads with somewhat broader keywords or categories.... such as "health care" or "medical advice" etc. in this case.... and in fact may simply be aimed at just a general audience.

I had blocked the health care category for a while when I got tired of seeing those ads showing the fat tummy on them... but unblocked when I read that the whole health care category generally pay more for ads.

With so many of us slot car racers being in our late 50's... I'm guessing that a lot of us are unfortunately in that "prime demographic" to be targeted with these sorts of health care type ads.

If they get too annoying, I can block them again... but unless I can somehow get enough sponsors & donations to pay the bills... since I am not doing this "on the side" from any "real" job... I have to do what I have to do to create enough ad revenue to cover the cost of keeping the site online.

Besides... I prefer to keep trying natural cures and remedies for toe fungus.

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Paul,

I don't know what "blockers" or settings I have adjusted on my home PC, but I get nothing in the way of ads appearing on your pages when I browse on my home PC.

I use Firefox as my web browser.

At work (where I posted my 2 earlier comments from), there were ads on 2 of the 3 postings on the page. Mind you, the browser at work is that terrible Microsoft programme.........
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Well.... if those toe fungus ads bring in any money from people clicking on them.... I guess we'll know it wasn't from you, Ron! LOL

Do you still see the slot car company ad banners up in the header??? Or does your ad blocker on your browser block those also???

Gee... thanks for doing your part to not support the sponsors who support the site! <---- I can't find a sarcasm smiley

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Oops....

Sorry Paul.

No ads - not even up in the header.

Guess my Avast Pro anti virus programme must be doing its job
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Oops....

Sorry Paul.

No ads - not even up in the header.

Guess my Avast Pro anti virus programme must be doing its job
    Well! I hope you get toe fungus!!!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

I get all kinds of ads but they are all over on the side and don't interfere with any posts. Some boards have ads that come between the posts. I find that very annoying.

I ignore the ads as most of them are geared towards men. LOL I never notice the toenail fungus till he said something and there it was flashing at me.
    Shontel

Dallas Slot Cars
    dallasslotcars.com

Flashing toenail fungus?

That sounds absolutely disgusting.

"The ads on this site are annoying ! "

Go down a few lines under this category and read the thread.
    " A little less whining and a little more driving should cure the problem "
    Ronald R. Van Wagnen