Thread: Shopping for power supply

Shopping for power supply

Hey, I'm wondering if there's pro's & con's to using an industrial 8D, or group 27 marine/RV battery & a good 100 amp charger vs a plug-in power supply that's made for slotcar tracks..... it's time to decide, & I could use some advice... Thanx, Steve

we use several 8D and 3 power supplies, the power supplies are a better choice I believe because the new ones wont over charge the batteries. they are a "smart" design now and will provide several years of little to no maintenance racing
    IDAHO SCC
    dub motors
    herminator tires
    PMP chassis
    Redfox
    BBB

After much research I bought one of these for my track. I only have four lanes and G12 will be the most powerful motors most likely run. I also have one of these capacitors to filter any ac out and act as a surge supply if needed. If I remember correctly you will be getting a 6 lane track so this should be plenty power for G12 cars.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Your best bang for the buck is always going to be batteries, initial cost is low and as long as you take care of them, will last for a long time. Couple that with at least one good clean output DC power supply, perhaps 60 amp output, and you would probably have ample power for anything up to and including GP-12 motors. The Batteries would give you all the reserve you need and the power supply would help keep them topped off and power output equal throughout the race.

The down side of a Industrial Batt charger is that they are very dirty, much ripple on the output, which is bad for slot car motors (batteries don't care). If you were to use one during racing you would need multiple batteries and have to configure them as a filter and even then it would not be ideal. You could go the capacitor route but would need quite a bit of capacitance to clean that nasty output up and even then, if you don't have an Oscilloscope available, you'll never really know if you're getting the job done.

The most ideal power solution IMO is a number of high end DC power supplies run through a number of capacitors tied to a buss bar feeding the track. Low maintenance, pretty darn durable BUT, very expensive unless your savvy and know what you are looking for on the surplus market. This system would be fine for 99% of the racing/raceways out there. No issues with batteries venting if that's an issue with your local fire or electrical inspectors.

Our track uses a combination of Batteries, Capacitors, and very high end DC power supplies for what I consider an ultimate Slot Car power system. Most of the really fast tracks in the country are using some combination of this type of system..
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Many communities now outlaw the use of automotive type batteries in commercial/retail stores for fear of hydrogen gas explosions and poor ventilation. While I have NEVER witnessed a slot car track battery explode, the use of the high output chargers that were common in the 1970's certainly could make problems combined with poor maintenance like letting the fluid levels get low. The advent of using the RV power chargers has cut down on battery maintainence problems. Usually a 75 amp Iota/bulldog is adequate for basic 8 lane store use and you can always wire more in parrallel for more power. I ended up with four on my flat track with switching to save energy rather than run them all at the same time.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Thank you guys for the input, I think I'll just use the group 29 marine battery I bought today in my boat, I needed to replace the #1 battery anyway. (good idea, huh?) & XTRA thanx to Mark H for the hit on the power supply, I'm ordering it...

NOW, about the capacitors, I'm assuming this will stabilize voltage out put, & keeps A/c pulsing out of the DC current output? While I'm on the subject, would this capacitor help with that $%^&&^%$ "VZZZZZZ" noise I'm getting bled through my stereo in the boat? (only when the engine is running, I've TRIED unhooking the "exiter wire" to the alternator's field windings with the engine running to see if eliminating alternator output would cure it.. nope... I have one power amp to run the 4 speakers in the cockpit, & another separate one on a completely separate circuit to run the 4 "out the back" speakers that I turn on when anchored in a cove to go swimming... With the engine running, EITHER amp buzzes @ about the same volume no matter the volume level. I have power switches to turn on or off either amp separately, or run them both @ once... the 2 front cabin speakers run directly off of the stereo with no added amp, NO buzz there.... Oh, & another question, What (if any) problems are there with running 4 speakers off of a 2-channel amp? unhooking 2 speakers from either amp changed nothing on the buzz-noise either... I'm STUMPED....
    Last edited by Muzbnuts; 12-24-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Do you have an inboard or outboard motor/s

Hi Gill, I'm Steve, the boat is a `96 chris craft `27ft concept cuddy, & it's a 454 (7.4L) fuel-injected inboard with a Volvo Duo-prop outdrive
    Last edited by Muzbnuts; 12-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Resistor spark plugs? or carbon or copper wires?
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

MSD Spiral-core carbon-core based 10mm wires averaging about 5000 ohms a foot, (Supposedly MADE for computer compatability) & autolite double platinum resistor plugs... Any opinion on adding aluminum foil shielding to wrap the primary wires on the MSD- multi-spark ignition system?

Looks like you are part way there with the RFI problem.
    Steve what make of motor is that you have.
    What coil are you using.

It's a mercruiser 7.4L with the "Mercruiser" sticker scribbled out, & "Volvo" scratched on it instead..stock coil, stock pretty much everything other than the plug wires, & they're advertised as RFI suppresent "Computer friendly"

Is the MSD unit you are talking about, the standard MCR ignition system or the MSD after market unit that is available?

Chucked the cheap-o Chinese amps, put in a couple of Rockford Fosgate 4-channel amps, & four 8" R.Fosgate speakers.. (WoWwww....) dilemma solved, time to go BOATIN....

We've actually started using wheelchair battery (12VDC 35AH). Safe for indoor use, plenty of power for 6 lanes of Falcons, $74.