Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check Point Cup!!

Well... I deleted posts about this already in another thread, mainly because it was totally off-topic in a thread about self-built chassis.

But the rest of the reason I mentioned in my post still applies here as well...

So I'll re-post it again here:

If you want to discuss race policies, start another thread... (or I guess you moved it to the right thread)

- but personal issues or race conduct should be discussed IN PERSON and/or AT THE TRACK.

NOT HERE, OR IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM.

This is a public forum intended to PROMOTE the hobby - not to air dirty laundry or handle race related issues.

It's a HOBBY and we do this for FUN, remember?

Okie Dokie?

Now having said that... I'll add my 2 cents (against my better judgement) anyway... but just to address the TOPIC in general.
    (NOT aimed at this particular incident or people)

Turn marshaling is a big pet peeve of mine - and mainly falls under that ol' "Golden Rule" type of policy. If you expect people to turn marshal for you - you need to return the favor and marshal for them.

There are always exceptions, as well as cases where someone might be unable to marshal for other reasons (helping race direct, tech, take pictures, etc) or physically unable to marshal. These exceptions just need to be handled as they come up. If you do have to leave early, it should be arranged with the race director ahead of time, unless it's an emergency.

But while having a bad day may be plenty of incentive to bail out, it is still not a legitimate excuse. I understand how breaking a car early, or having a bad racing incident can be very aggravating - and how competition can also bring out a lot of frustration at times...

But the best thing is to take a break and to cool off - go outside or head next door to Imperial Burger for a bit.

You do have to remind yourself that if the shoe was on the other foot, and you were having a good race - then chances are that someone else would be stuck marshaling for you that was taking their turn at having a bad day.

Everyone has good & bad days, and that's why everyone gets to take turns racing & marshaling.

But on the other hand... we are also adults and friends, and we are all at the races not only to compete, but also to have FUN.

These types of things should be handled at the track privately.

As a race director, if I saw someone having a bad race and packing up early, I always made an effort to go talk to them if at all possible and discuss what happened and why they are leaving. I hate to see anyone not having a good time - and hate to see anyone leaving on a bad note - especially my friends.

And after hearing their story about what happened... THEN I remind them about why they should stick around to turn marshal for the guys who just marshaled for them.

"Do unto others...", "What goes around comes around"... "As you sow, so shall you reap", etc. etc.

OK - I think we have now covered the topic of marshaling.

Anything else pertaining to this particular race should be handled at the track privately.

Crap... that was a lot more then 2 cents worth... (and I have no idea how many pesos worth)...

PK @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 01-13-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Check with Bryan--- This was his request!! I'm done-- I did what I was asked.

Sure does seem to me that someone could have walked over and talked to Nesta at the track.

I realize that the race organizers may have been busy racing, and the race director busy running a race... but in the time it takes to pack up the pits into a box, you would think that somebody would take the time to talk to him before he headed out.

I'm still trying to refer to this topic in general - because this comes up often at all sorts of races all over the country...

But I just don't remember the last time I saw someone ask someone else to post something online to discuss something that should have been dealt with at the race.

(and here I thought that was what Facebook was for... LOL)

OK... now I'm done.

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

I'll say one last thing about this---Nesta WAS asked to STAY and marshall---by several people and he chose to bail anyway by saying "I'm just putting my race box in the car"-- without asking someone to marshall for him! I posted about it at the request of the board member-- and I'm done! You can choose to delete everything about this if you'd like!! But that is what happened!! When Bob Crane got sick and had to go home--he asked John Hegedus to marshall for him--and he did!! That's all it took! You can see by Nesta's response--he felt he was "above" having to turn marshal! It's just best if we ALL pitch in and help our fellow racers! There's plenty of people helping Nesta work on his cars--from Jerry Johnson--to Bryan Warmack--to Wes from NJ!!
    And --how do you deal with it at the race--when the person bails out after he's been asked to turn marshall and simply leaves? Then what?? He's gone and we are left racing---Gary Donaho was very gracious to volunteer to help---but not at Nesta's request but at mine because I was race directing at the time. I guess another solution is to increase the cost of racing--and hire people to turn marshal. It's been asked before--but WHAT CAN YOU DO--when people refuse to help turn marshal??

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Tim I'm truly sorry that you are the way you are and nothing can change that, so please go play some where else.
    Take care and have fun.

Yours Truly.

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

A few pics from Checkpoint Cup 2014

A few random pics from the Checkpoint Cup 2014
    https://picasaweb.google.com/eshorer/CheckpointCup2014

Eddie Shorer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12