Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Everything

New Everything

I have long planned to learn the world of Slot Car racing and open a commercial track in retirement. I'm stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC and still have a litte before retirement but wouldn't you know it, a man is selling his entire franchise because of health problems and it's a deal I can't let pass. So...I just bought my first slot Car as I am making plans to get a 30 ft trailer to go and transport the track from Michagan to SC.
    Obviously....I'm in trouble and need some advise, any advise at this point will be taken and greatly appreciated.
    Where to start, what businesses succeed and which ones fail? Get a spot at the mall or go out to a larger warehouse in the country?
    I'm planning on either Spartanburg, SC or Aiken, SC.
    Thanks in advance for your charitable advise.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    If you are truly interested in starting a "Business" start as any business would, with a business plan. I'm betting that the Transition Center on base could give some good advise on how to get started with this or at least point you in the right direction.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Couldn't agree more with Roman...

Just some suggestions:

1. Read and memorize everything in this section because it will come up again sometime during your tenure. Just kidding (a little bit). But there is a wealth of knowledge here.

2. Do you want to be a racer that owns a racetrack or do you want to be a trackowner? Different objectives...

3. Unless you're on a real tight schedule, plan your trip to/from Michigan driving past existing raceways. Stop in and meet the owners and see how they do business. Might give you some good ideas.

4. After you have done all your research, if you still have unanswered questions, come right back here and ask. You will always get some kind of answer, maybe too many...

If the choices are warehouse of mall...... Go for the mall. More people equals more rentals, birthday parties and sales. Also the mall gives you the added benefit of many mall neighbors advertising their businesses. They are spending thousands a month to bring customers to the mall.

I am planning to do some slot car visits in the coming couple of weeks. I am planning to be a track owner first, a racer second.

You could also survey Spartanburg and Aiken to see what the history around there has been for slotcar tracks. One area may support a track better than another.

Also be careful buying out other raceways. Make sure you don't get stuck with stuff other tracks couldn't sell. If it's not current, put it on ebay to see it you can get at least something for it.

Ask other raceway owners who they use as distributors. Not all distributors are created equal. Hold the distributors accountable to send you only what you order unless you specify otherwise. If you didn't order it or it isn't right, send it back...

Did you buy the corner climb?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]RICH
    THE GROOVE RACEWAY (check out my home page) and PSC race team
    PRECISION SLOT CARS CHASSIS FIXTURES, BUILD THEM TO WIN!

other area tracks

Michael,

Welcome to slot racing, and we sincerely wish you the best as a new track owner/operator. I live in the Lexington, SC area, about an hour east of Aiken and an hour and a half from Sp'burg. We look forward to having another track in the area -- and maybe we can see you involved in the regional racing circuits.

I agree that it's a good idea to take a look at what is happening at other tracks. It might be helpful.

There are a few tracks in SC with which I'm somewhat familiar. On Saturday, we'll be racing in Abbeville (near Greenwood). We'd love to have you stop in and say hello and talk a bit with the track operator and the other guys. You'll get a look at what is being done there. Also, there's another track in Anderson, just outside Greenville. This past Saturday, I had the fortune of visiting a track in the Rock Hill area, just outside Charlotte.

Some tracks focus on Retro; some focus on flexi racing. And I'm sure owners of the other tracks can offer some input on what is working for them. The track is a big selling point. Can you offer some info about the one your purchased?

Best of luck, and we hope to see your doors open soon.
    Jim
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

And btw, I know a group of racers who are already holding their collective breath, hoping you'll come to the Aiken area.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help get you started.
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

One point in favor of a warehouse location would be RENT!!! Mall operations require a lot of rent & a lot of foot traffic. There is a Mall location in Murrel's Cove SC, (North Myrtle Beach) Prehaps you should go there to check it out... Sounds like you may have a built in customer base in Aiken, might be worth checking out.
    Before you go paying for a GREAT location, remember you are going to have to pay rent & utilities on this place monthly, so don't stick yourself with a lot of extra overhead that will become a major migrane down the road. I have seen too many good raceways close because of not being to pay the rent... Also get a deal with your landlord that enables you to get 3 months free rent in turn for signing a lease... Your business is not going to be set up & running in a week. There are local building codes to concern yourself with, & many other things that will pop up at the last minute. Give yourself some breathing room... also don't go in with the idea that a slotcar track is going to be your sole means of support... Its a hobby, not a gold mine!!! There are many successful raceway owners on here who will tell you that running a raceway is hard work.
    Ben Kernan
    Formerly of SARN

I'm hoping we hear more on this one soon. There are a lot of guys in the Lexington/Aiken areas hoping the track locates in this area. Combined with Rock Hill, Anderson, and Abbeville, we could develop quite a circuit.

Any update to offer, Michael? BTW, congrats on the retirement. Anyone who reaches that capability deserves a tip of the hat.
    jb
    Jim Beasley

Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

Bump.

Anything new on this matter? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)
    Jim Beasley

Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

Maybe we scared him off... or into another line of work...

That would be just my luck. Such a shame since there's certainly an interested clientele.
    Jim Beasley

Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

Yes...It's now set up, braids and one more power connection have to be finished. It's in Inman, SC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast