Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Everything

I actually have an in with the local FOX news outlet and can probably get some coverage on opening day through them.
    When you are in town, and since you like building....I have a couple of repairs I'll save for you.
    Eventually I'm going to want a drag strip to go along side the track as well. Just for your future calendar plans!

The human interest angle can work. Try reaching reporters, rather than the newspaper intake person. We had a full page feature in a Sunday paper.

http://www.vnews.com/news/townbytown...in-charlestown

Braids are glued down with the exception of one critical joint that took some damage during a moving mishap. That little damage is giving me a rough time to be honest. So here is my invitation, translated as a plea for help. If anyone is able to come to Inman and has the iron for putting down braids smoothly, any working knowledge of correcting for damaged joints, and maybe has a generator for power....I will buy you a Hardee's burger and owe you somewhere down the line if you would come out Saturday and help me out.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Michael, not sure what "iron" are you talking about, typically braid these days is held down with contact cement. If you'll explain further what issue you are having with the braid or better still, send a picture or 2 I'm sure I could help you with your problem. If posting pics here is difficult for you, send to roman_1@comcast.net
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

I've got lots of knowledge about fixing joints but I don't know what the problems are. Could you post some pictures and a description of the issues? Maybe I can talk you through it. A generator? Do you mean power supply? Iron for braids?
    Chris Dadds, Master Carpenter
    Building beautiful, smooth slot car tracks for your home, club or raceway since 1987!

(I only build things so I can support my tool collecting habit.)

Yes, a power supply to iron the braids. i haven't gotten the power turned on yet. Waiting to the last minute just as a way to try and control costs early on.

What happened to the joint is this. The joint falls right across the main distribution and data panal with wires connecting along both sides of the joint. I agreed with the previous owner than taking that apart might result in a significant issue with rewiring everything so we left it connected and rented a longer truck. Loading went well but when unloading, an older gentlemen stepped off the back of the truck and tried to catch himself on the track, twisting that joing. The track held but it did some damage to the wood and the racing surface isn't perfect. You don't really notice it till you start trying to get the joint smooth. And of course, that joint is at the part of the track where I can't even get my head underneath. It's the lowest point to the floor. I will be able to send pictures tomorrow. I'm at Ft. Bragg today and drive home tonight. My regular email is michael.cannonjr@gmail.com I will try to email from there.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Mike, it's been many years since anyone has used an Iron and heat sensitive glue to install braid on a track. Typically today braid is held on with contact cement then smoothed out with a braid roller. A roller makes things a bit easier but is not essential as any flat device can be used to push the braid against the contact cement to smooth it and help it adhere. That said, after braiding many tracks, I would make it a point to get a braid roller. I believe Eagle, and perhaps some of the other distributors, stock them.

As far as the damage to the joint, as Chris indicated, would be really nice to see some pics and he certainly would be the guy to help you figure out how to fix it.

Consider this good training cause if you're getting into the raceway business it will behoove you to know how to do all the necessary repair work required, get to know your electrical and lap counter system and surely you'll be replacing braid at some point as well.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Aha! Then you DID mean a generator. :-) I think you're going to have to take that joint apart to get it fixed right. If the track still has the original wiring harness (it looks like it does) you can take the mounting screws out of those three drivers connection plates on the left side of the joint and drop them down through the hole, clip a few wire ties, then separate the sections.

I'm assuming that the racing surface is no longer smooth across the joint. It might look easier to just run a screw or three down through the surface into the joint but it's not. Screws will be about ten times as much work as what I think you'll need to do to get it repaired. But I'm still not sure just how it's broken so get the sections separated and let me know what happened. Just in case you or a buddy are tempted, don't cut, sand, poke or pick at anything you find at the point where it failed. That'll most likely make it harder to fix. When you get it apart you can text or call me at 812-219-6771 to let me know you e-mailed or posted.
    Chris Dadds, Master Carpenter
    Building beautiful, smooth slot car tracks for your home, club or raceway since 1987!

(I only build things so I can support my tool collecting habit.)

OK here is the update. Turns out the raised portion of the track is the result of how low the track is. I had to just remove the bracing, it left a bow but I've put weight on the track affected and hopefully over this week of hot weather, it will return to the shape it has held for all these years.
    I'll let you know after this weekend.
    I'm also moving so getting to a computer to be present here will be more difficult. Much easier to check the forum when I'm supposed to be working.
    My number is 803-341-1982
    email to my iphone is michael.cannonjr@gmail.com

web page for Upstate Speedway

I welcome your feedback and suggestions for improvements.

http://upstatespeedway.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smithspeedway View Post
    One pitfall to avoid is trying to get slot car racers to come in. If they are already slot car racers, they'll probably find you. Focus on getting people in, people who know nothing about slot cars. This is the group where you are most likely to find someone excited about this "new" thing they've discovered. Run an ad like "Come to the Races! Model car racing, spectators always free, free hot dogs Saturday!".
    Here I am about a year later and still alive. It's been interesting and your advise has proven true. The business flourishes quickly as slot car racers came in and new racers assimilated in the group. Then, of course when something is successful others want to try it for themselves. A drag track planned to open and organized trips to local drag strips on weekends for my customers. Then the track opened and holds races during my race time. Some cars are given away by drag guys and one left a bad rating on my Facebook page even though he doesn't come to the shop.
    However, while the old class of a lot racers are experimenting with the track a mile down the road, lots of new racers and renters have arrived. RTR sales are high, rentals are high, other bookings are beginning to emerge. I still feel the loss to my weekday racing schedule but an entirely different sort of atmosphere is developing. To that end, I'm able to gain enough capital to expand from two tracks to four soon.
    So my fears over a catastrophic decline from having a track open less than a mile away, in a facility with no overhead and recruiting from my shop for racers are fading. I would love to have my guys back because we had such a tremendous time learning to race the track together but in the meantime, the business side of the track is doing well enough to keep growing.

My only real problem is I can't get my SRT system straightened out. I sent the card for repair but it still gives way laps on my purple lane randomly. I can't seem to figure out the issue. I bought a new cable and will try a replacement card this weekend.

Otherwise, I'm having more fun with this every day. Oh and super trucks will hit the track This weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just coordinated for an Upstate Speedway car show the last Friday in May. $10 entry fee. I supply a trophy and 1st gets 30%, 2nd gets 20%, 3rd gets 10%. One free race for paid participants and one at half off. From 6-9pm. If you're in the area come out and visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123