Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Everything

Still here. Since I am transitioning from Active duty to Reserve Army over the next month, it's been extremely busy but I do have the track set up in Inman, SC.
    Here is the Facebook page so you can take a peek.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008193605293

Planning to open full weeks after July 4th. Then in August I will most likely go to a Thursday-Saturday schedule until I find out what the traffic and interest will be.
    Still working on the asthetics of the store, do not have any retail supplies yet but I do have my Federal Tax ID, and I'm registered as an LLC.

Here is what I am learning.
    It's easy to race if you just want to run the cars and see who wins. The rules apply to races to keep some equity in the cars and competition. This serves several purposes but three jump out. It gives the race a sense of regulation and makes it more official. It keeps the races interesting by making it possible for people to work for different classes of races and be competitive. and the third is related, it also keeps racers from being so discouraged by never having a chance to win that they quit.

You may want to open for business and run the shop for a few days or a week before the grand opening. This will allow for you to test the systems and operation of the business. After the shake down period (soft opening) a grand opening could consist of:

Kids putting flyers on cars at a shopping center or big event. The flyer could have a coupon at the bottom.
    Have a Group-on offer.
    Renting spot light to run at night like a big movie premier would have.
    A grand opening banner.
    Hire a hotdog cart to give out free hot dogs and sodas.
    Run ads on the local country or oldies radio station. You could also do a live remote/ad combo with the station.
    Maybe telephone of fax the news to the local TV new station?
    Hire a portable sign/billboard trucks to drive around town with your billboard on their truck mounted signs.
    Hire a sign twirler to stand at a good spot at the roadside to drive people to the shop.
    Run ads on cable TV (maybe the best of the list)
    Ask the local beer dist. if the Bud/Coors girl or girls could be part of your grand opening.
    Ask a local racer to park their racecar in front of the raceway.
    Hang pennants outside of the raceway. Maybe from between the building and the lamp posts in the parking lot.
    Run ads on the local newspapers website.
    Runs ads in the local newspaper.
    Have kids hand door hangers on hundreds on local residential front doors.
    Run an ad in the Pennysaver.
    If you have a van or truck buy a wrap to promote the raceway.
    Or just open, be nice and hope for the best. You could always drop off flyers at the area schools and businesses.
    Last edited by PCHPartsExpress; 06-10-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Pacific Coast Hobbies
    PCH Parts Express
    www.e-slotcar.com
    800 258-7441 (inside the USA)
    805 988-8044 (outside the USA)
    We take most credit cards, debits cards, gift cards and PayPal.

We're glad to hear you're "still here" and we look forward to stopping by your raceway soon and finally meeting you. There are several raceways in that area of the state, so you might be able to develop a series in conjunction with one or two of them.

Best of luck on the opening, and welcome to The Palmetto State.
    jb
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.cannonj View Post
    Still here. Since I am transitioning from Active duty to Reserve Army over the next month, it's been extremely busy but I do have the track set up in Inman, SC.
    Here is the Facebook page so you can take a peek.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008193605293
    I went to your Facebook page - but it does not have any "Like", "Follow", or "Friend" link whatsoever.
    I am guessing that it was set up as a personal page, but is block from any friends or followers.

I would recommend that you set up a company FB page, which can accept "Likes" and existing slot car racers can help spread the word.

Edit: DOH! After posting this I saw your other post with link to your Upstate Speedway Facebook PAGE:
    https://www.facebook.com/upstatespeedway?ref=hl

I just checked, and I have your raceway info already listed in the OWH Slot Car Raceway Directory.
    Be sure to also post an announcement in the Raceway News forum (It's the new one up on top of the main page).

Be sure to keep us posted and ask any questions as they come up, here in the track owner's forum. I know there are plenty of experienced current & former track owners who are always willing to help out whenever then can.

Best of luck with your new venture!

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 06-10-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have an idea bouncing around in my head....considering my lack of qualification to undertake what I have decided to do, and my complete lack of any experience, perhaps I should outsource my first couple of races to a track owner (paid for the work of course) so that I can learn on my own track just how this is supposed to run smoothly. That's not a decision, just an idea and if any reading think you could be that guy (or gal if the shoe fits), then let me know. You could be the proxy proprietor of Upstate Speedway for a day and I would be the student in training.

Well....it's an idea. I just don't want to bumpy of a start. Would like to not discourage the early racers.

Michael.
    Good luck with the raceway.

There are tons of threads here and on SB on running the race software as well as how to run the raceway in general. Lots of good advise from veteran owners.

And speaking of Veterans....thank you for your service to our country.

Sam

I like your openness. You are already ahead of the curve. Be friendly and courteous and most people will overlook your inexperience. Most customers don't care what you know, they want to know that you care. If I lived a little closer I'd gladly make the trip. Good luck and like Sam said, thank you for serving.
    Alan Ingram

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Michael, think about this. Perhaps you should travel to a few raceways, local or otherwise, and observe how folks are doing their thing as Race Directors.You can then decide what attributes you like, which you don't, then develop your own style that suits you and your raceway. I think you'll find a number of variations of style particularly as it applies to Track calls and the such. After you see how other folks are doing it, I think it will help you decide what the best way for you might be.

When I first started RD'ing, I had been attending races for quite some time at different raceways around the country so was able to use what I saw to develop my own style of course within the rule set that we employ.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

One pitfall to avoid is trying to get slot car racers to come in. If they are already slot car racers, they'll probably find you. Focus on getting people in, people who know nothing about slot cars. This is the group where you are most likely to find someone excited about this "new" thing they've discovered. Run an ad like "Come to the Races! Model car racing, spectators always free, free hot dogs Saturday!".

Excellent thoughts and you are right. I am already having racers come by glad that they no longer have to drive 50 miles to a track. We are working to build some excitement, playing with some grand opening ideas and working with groups such as special olympics and the local police department to create some local "friends" tournaments. Going to have a meeting the last Saturday in June with a couple of other racetrack owners and habitual racers to look over my stuff, help me work out any kinks and play on the track for awhile to get to know one another. Anyone that wants to come is welcome. I would love to come out of the gate strong instead of stumbling around like a drunk driver!

You said "I would love to come out of the gate strong instead of stumbling around like a drunk driver!"

We have been told that TV is the king of advertising tools. Run a strong TV ad campaign. Then let us know how well it worked.
    Pacific Coast Hobbies
    PCH Parts Express
    www.e-slotcar.com
    800 258-7441 (inside the USA)
    805 988-8044 (outside the USA)
    We take most credit cards, debits cards, gift cards and PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by PCHPartsExpress View Post
    You said "I would love to come out of the gate strong instead of stumbling around like a drunk driver!"

We have been told that TV is the king of advertising tools. Run a strong TV ad campaign. Then let us know how well it worked.
    If the rate card from your local station seems a bit pricey, angle for a feature on the morning news human interest segment. I've seen a few segments like that posted in OWHs "slot cars in media" forum, has anyone checked in with the raceway owners to see what effect they had?
    Chris Dadds, Master Carpenter
    Building beautiful, smooth slot car tracks for your home, club or raceway since 1987!

(I only build things so I can support my tool collecting habit.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast