Thread: Difalco Pro Brake - Is it worth it?

Difalco Pro Brake - Is it worth it?

Hey all,

I have an older (2003 era) Difalco Pro Plus Module..

It has the economy rheostat.

I was considering the upgrade to the Pro Brake Rheostat, can anyone who has run both tell me if there is really a $60 difference? My main reason for wanting to upgrade is the "Off" position. I can shut the brakes off, right now I can turn them all the way down but seems like I still have a fair amount of brakes.. Disconnecting the Red Brake wire doesn't seem do make any difference..

I am also considering the 30-band upgrade PCB, Though I don't race so I don't know that I really need that... That's why I am thinking maybe the Pro Brake Rheostat would do more for me than the 30-band upgrade PCB?

Thanks!

-TheChad

Quote Originally Posted by TheChad View Post

I am also considering the 30-band upgrade PCB, Though I don't race so I don't know that I really need that...

-TheChad
    I think your answer lies right there in that sentence!

Spending money on more gadgets right now would be sorta like buying a Ferrari and letting it sit in your driveway!

I would recommend that first you spend your money on track time and ENTRY FEES and get some racing under your belt!

There's nothing like the experience of real racing competition, that will get you up to a level where faster cars and better controller will really make a real difference!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    I think your answer lies right there in that sentence!

Spending money on more gadgets right now would be sorta like buying a Ferrari and letting it sit in your driveway!

I would recommend that first you spend your money on track time and ENTRY FEES and get some racing under your belt!

There's nothing like the experience of real racing competition, that will get you up to a level where faster cars and better controller will really make any difference!

Paul K @ OWH

I've have and been into slot cars since the 90's.. I use to race when I lived in California, but for the last 10 years I've lived in Central Illinois, where there is only 1 slot car track that I'm aware of, in Bloomington IL.. Which is 45 minutes away from me... Anyway, I don't have time to race anymore. However I enjoy the hobby and love running my cars.. It's for fun, but I still like to have good equipment!

-TheChad
    Last edited by TheChad; 09-24-2014 at 10:43 PM.

45 minutes is pretty close!
    The nearest track to me is 1 1/2 hours, the place I usually race is over 2 hours.

Maybe someone at the track will let you try their controller so you can see if you like it before you spend the money.
    Have fun.

If disconnecting the red wire doesn't give you less braking, the pro rheostat would be a waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by paul5097 View Post
    If disconnecting the red wire doesn't give you less braking, the pro rheostat would be a waste of time and money.
    I just took the controller apart yesterday to install the Difalso Acu-Trigger and Bearing Kit, and noticed that the trigger was hanging up a bit and not making contact with the brake contact every time or possibly any time since I had to bump the trigger back to touch the brake pad.

Anyway, I am going to test it next time I go to the track. The problem is/was that it didn't seem to matter what I set the brake rheostat to, it didn't seem to make a difference.... Well this would explain why!

My I'm guessing that a C12 motor may just naturally have a breaking feeling due to it's high magnetic strength?

According to the instructions disconnecting the brake wire doesn't work on the transistor controllers..

Thanks,

-TheChad

IMO, if all you are going to do is play with wing cars, the 30 band upgrade is NOT for you. Personally I prefer the Pro Brake rheostat, since it gives me more adjustment to my brakes, & I change it from lane to lane. Also if I rotate it completely counter clockwise, it will go past full brake to no brake, so be aware of this.
    Ben Kernan
    Formerly of SARN

You can probably put a simple on/off toggle switch into the brake circuit if you simply want a no brake option, cheaper then a Pro brake rheostat. There are extra holes on a DiFalco PC board which would accomodate one. You can get one at RadioShack.
    MON THE BIFF !!!