Thread: All star race draws top drivers...

All star race draws top drivers...

ALL STAR & INVITATIONAL EVENT DRAWS TOP RACERS

Rt. 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd.
    Akron, OH 44314
    (330) 861-5000

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE …

AKRON, OH … Slot car racers from 14 states will be converging on Route 93 Raceway on March 1-2 for the running of the First All Star & Invitational Retro event, which is shaping up to be one the most unique and exciting events of the year.

The event, which is similar in scope to the NASCAR Nextel Cup All Star race held at the Charlotte Motor Speedway every May, will feature drivers who have won a championship in a regional retro series, or a major retro race during their career going head to head against one another in Formula One/Indy and Can-Am competition on Sunday, March 2. Racers who have never captured a series title, or major race win will be eligible to compete in the Invitational race slated for Saturday, March 1.

Individual awards, prizes, and giveaways will be presented to drivers competing on both days. As an added bonus the top-eight drivers in their respective classes from the Saturday Invitational races will be afforded the opportunity to compete in the Sunday All Star portion of the program IE: The top-eight finishers in the Invitational F1/Indy race may participate in the F1/Indy All star race. The top-eight finishers in the Invitational Can-Am race are eligible to participate in the All Star Can-Am contest. Invitational racers who elect to race on Sun. will not be charged an entry fee for participating.

The race will follow all IRRA LLC car specifications, procedures, guidelines and bylaws. These may be found at: retroslotracing.com.

Among the All Star drivers already announcing they will be in attendance are: JAY KISLING (Retro East champion, and winner of major races at the Sano, R4 and Demon Does Dallas), TOM LAUTERBACH (multi-time Penn-Ohio champion, and winner of races at the R4 and Demon 500), RON HERSHMAN (the winningest driver in retro racing, with multiple ORS championships and victories in the Sano, R4, Southern Shootout, Music City Shootout and Retro Summit events), DAVE FEIDLER (IRRL champion and a victor at the Race of Champions, R4 and the Sano), WILLY CUSTER (American Raceways Series champion and a race winner at the Race of Champions), GARY ‘HIP’ CULY (race winner at the Fall Brawl), TERRY WATSON ( Sano race winner), DAVE SIMERKA (Retro Summit winner), JEFF LAUTERBACH (Penn-Ohio champion), JAMES MERRIMAN (Retro South champion and Music City Shoot Out winner), DAVE GEEHRING ( Race of Champions winner), RALPH THORNE (Retro South champion and winner at the Sano and Race of Champions) and GARY CLINTON (Winner at the the Retropalooza).

Route 93 track owner Debbie Baldwin-Evalsky has assured that everyone will be a ‘winner’ in the food department as her legendary trackside buffet will be catering to the racers appetites by serving breakfast, lunch and a hot dinner on both days.

Race entry fees will be $20.00 per class on both days, which includes practice and food privileges. The raceway will open at 8:00 AM on race days. Practice will be held from 8:00 – 9:30 AM. Tech will commence at 9:30 for both classes, followed by qualifying, which will be conducted using a ‘laps and sections’ format.

The raceway will be open for practice on Friday, March 28 from Noon until 10:00 PM. A $10.00 track pass will be charged.

For more information contact: Steve Reed (330) 861-5000) for track information and Ron Hershman (fast1ron@yahoo.com) for race information.

What is Friday, March 28th practice for?

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Larry any Cali racers?

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Friday practice is open to both Invitational and All Star drivers...

No California drivers as yet Nesta...

Maybe a February 28th

date for practice will draw some people into the raceway ?
    " A little less whining and a little more driving should cure the problem "
    Ronald R. Van Wagnen

LOL... Bad typo on my part!

Yes, practice is Feb. 28...

Thanks for the catch Ron...

Quote Originally Posted by 68Deville View Post
    Larry any Cali racers?

Nesta
    Yea Nesta, I also noticed their bias against Cali racers and premier retro event flat track winners on their poster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Yea Nesta, I also noticed their bias against Cali racers and premier retro event flat track winners on their poster as well.
    Bias? Are you sure they weren't invited? Or maybe they just haven't replied/confirmed(?). Maybe they aren't so inclined(?). I've seen very little Cali participation outside of Cali, not that there's a problem with that.

Dallas Slot Cars will be there. Should be a fantastic race weekend.
    Shontel

Dallas Slot Cars
    dallasslotcars.com

Lots of 'Cali' drivers are eligible for the All Star race...

Every slot racer in the state of California is eligible for the Invitational race...

Even Mr. Van Pelt may race in the Invitational. No 'bias' Kevin...

No problem Larry, I would love to come but......

Just giving ya a little crap for bruising my ego with my omission on the official race poster. As the only retro racer in 7 events, to beat Sano Dave on his home track in the CanAm Flat track race at Sano VI and a number of other All Stars that day, my head got a little bigger than it should have I guess.

Hope you guys have a great event!

Hey Kevin, you should feel good about that win! IMHO it is a bit harder to win on the Flat than the King especially when you have Sano Dave, Matt Bruce, Chuck Gambo and the like in the same race. Flat Track bad boys to be sure. Be loud and proud!! LOL

Bernie Schatz

I'm sure it was an oversight when Ron Hershman put the All Star list together...

We will add your name to the 'official' list Kevin...

I'm sure I'm on the list Larry! LOL

Just no respect in retro land for flat track racers was my point!

Bernie, don't forget yourself, Swiss, Ursaner, Davis and Jay Guard were All Stars in that race as well.