Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little change in the format

A little change in the format

So......What if we went to a ladder style of race format instead of the old deal of being seeded into each main by how you qualified? Even numbered qualifiers on one side, and odd numbered ones on the other. As you work your way up the ladder, it would be the same as what we do now until you get up to the B or semi- final. Everyone races to get to this point and then there would be 4 move-ups from each semi to be in the A or the main event. No more one-shot hot lappers in the A! You would have to race to get onto the A race. Other than it adds one more race to the day, I think it shakes things up a little in a good way! So.......what do you think?

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    I guess they don't think?

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Well then, what do you think?

All I can say is they do what they want to do and there is nothing you can do about it!

Nesta

I think it a better test of a slotcar racer's ability to race on a track with other racers of all different skill levels rather than to just burn laps with the best in the group but no one else seems to think so.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

Test and tune and qualify well. If you come with your B game you will always end up in the B main. Check race results and you will see the top guys don't just qualify well, they race well also. If you think your format would make a good race try it out on a weekly race night. I would try it out just for the fun of it. Sounds like a great night of racing.

Agreed, the cream usually rises to the top. This format is intended for big races of 35,40, or more. Problem I'm aiming at is this; go to a major race and then take a b or c level racer and give him a really good , dialed in racecar, and he goes out and qualifies with one lucky hot lap right into the A main. The potential for him to then go out and turn your major race A main into a crash fest is certainly there. Seen it happen. Not to mention you get to race more!

Who is giving the B or C guy the dialed in A main car? If its an A main guy,then his bad. One way to smooth out the field is use total laps and sections in qualifying.

I have no problem running in the C,D,E, or F main. I am a mid field runner at best. I don't blame rules or formats for my results. I see the effort put in and talent of the A and B main guys. You get out what you put in.

Jerry,

You may get more constructive comments on the other forum.

Your suggestion sounds good to me, and I'm sure a lot of others may agree.
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

I think Jerry thinks this forum is good enough and he don't need to migrate to Deadblog?

Nesta

While it may happen from time to time, I would think a slower driver putting in a good time is going to be rare. Perhaps your experience is different. What I have seen is a slower guy goes faster when racing with faster guys. A fast guy grouped with slower guys ends up trying not to get collected rather than racing.
    I personally like the fastest lap qualifying. Show me what you got.......

I am not saying your idea is bad, give it a try and let us know how the majority of the races feel about.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Quote Originally Posted by Sam pan View Post
    Who is giving the B or C guy the dialed in A main car? If its an A main guy,then his bad. One way to smooth out the field is use total laps and sections in qualifying.

I have no problem running in the C,D,E, or F main. I am a mid field runner at best. I don't blame rules or formats for my results. I see the effort put in and talent of the A and B main guys. You get out what you put in.
    The B or C guy usually just buys a Hotrod from an A level friend. (I've done myself!)

I don't mind starting in a lower main either. Hopefully you just get to race more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    While it may happen from time to time, I would think a slower driver putting in a good time is going to be rare. Perhaps your experience is different. What I have seen is a slower guy goes faster when racing with faster guys. A fast guy grouped with slower guys ends up trying not to get collected rather than racing.
    I personally like the fastest lap qualifying. Show me what you got.......

I am not saying your idea is bad, give it a try and let us know how the majority of the races feel about.
    Probably would be rare, but when a B guy try's to run with the big dogs he usually becomes a torpedo. But I guess the bigger point is that I think it would make big races just a little better.

Jerry

You know how this will work out 4 Bullets and 4 Blanks and as soon as 1 of the Bullets feels that a Blank has stop his progress to the next Main so will this Trial run.

Jason
    P.S. and the track will sell a lot more motors or duds and more people will be less pleased

Not sure I follow you. What I think would happen is you end up with the eight best in the main event for that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast