Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tools and Tape #'s needed for wing bodies

Quote Originally Posted by hesketh View Post
    Paul you need to add 3M ATG 969, much higher adhesive effect then 924. Works much better on the sides and nose. In 3/4" and 1/2" widths.
    Thanks!

I just added a few choices of the 969 Tape you recommended:

http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/3m-scotch-969-high-tack-acrylic-atg-adhesive-transfer-tape-length-x-14-width-clear/

http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/scotch-atg-adhesive-transfer-tape-969-clear/

http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/scotch-atg-adhesive-transfer-tape-924-969-34-x-36-yds-atg-tape/

http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/scotch-atg-adhesive-transfer-tape-969-clear-0-50-in-x-36-yd-5-0-mil/

http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/3m-scotch-969-clear-transfer-tape-0-75-in-width-x-5-mil-thick-densified-kraft-paper-liner-05672/

I'm really trying to take all the recommendations from the How-To articles as well as here on the forums, and get them together in a single source here to save people having to scour the internet searching for sources on their own. Since Amazon has practically everything... a lot of the supplies are available from them... but they have so MUCH stuff that it can be very confusing if you don't know the specific item number or description to search for. That is where these recommendations can really help.

I make about 4-6 % commission as an Amazon.com affiliate. Not so much, but I do not need to carry inventory, bill, ship, etc... Even so, a little bit adds up and can help support the site.

Buying the slot car brands through your local raceway, however, provides a much bigger standard retail markup for your raceway, as well as benefiting the supplier & distributors that source these items and make them available to your local raceway - so buying from a raceway helps MUCH more in so many ways...

I'm just trying to make those items you normally can NOT find at raceways available from a single spot as a convenience.

So far... the OWH Slot Car Shop has helped slot racers buy items such as: salt & pepper shakers, a neck pillow, a surf board cover, a couple wall pictures & auto racing books & DVD's... and actually 2 or 3 obscure slot car tool & supply items... so in spite of anyone who is fearing that I am "competing" with local raceways... it is not my intention nor a reality. LOL

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-02-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: fixed link
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Another very useful item for making bodies, Alvin Professional Cutting Mats Green/Black Size - 12L x 8.5W inches. Amazon carries it as well. Plus an ordinary box cutter and a short steel ruler and you can trim wing kits to your hearts content.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hesketh View Post
    Another very useful item for making bodies, Alvin Professional Cutting Mats Green/Black Size - 12L x 8.5W inches. Amazon carries it as well. Plus an ordinary box cutter and a short steel ruler and you can trim wing kits to your hearts content.
    Thanks!

I added the cutting mat:
    http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/alvin-professional-cutting-mats-greenblack-size-12l-x-8-5w-inches/

box cutter: (old school Stanley)
    http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/bodymounting/stanley-10-099-6-inch-classic-99-retractable-utility-knife/

box cutter: (a little sexier option by Olfa)
    http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/bodyshop/olfa-1075449-xa-1-9mm-fiberglass-rubber-grip-utility-knife/

Already had a short steel rule here:
    http://slot-car-shop.com/slotcars/slotcartools/handtools/general-tools-3001-6-inch-flex-precision-stainless-steel-rule/

I have a semi-automated special theme & plugins that make adding products from Amazon a snap.

Although slot cars is my labor of love... I am also using this store theme for other web sites I have been working on.
    Sold 2 sets of pajamas in the first week on another site, more then has sold on the OWH Slot Car Shop in months...
    Need any pajamas? LOL
    http://pajama-zone.com/

PK @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-02-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Paul,

Happy belated birthday, BTW. This may be goofy, but how about packaging some of those things together as a kit w/basic tape, mat, blades, etc. Maybe an advanced kit with more... Maybe some wing kits as well. Then you can do bodies...

Just an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by wjdougherty View Post
    Paul,

Happy belated birthday, BTW. This may be goofy, but how about packaging some of those things together as a kit w/basic tape, mat, blades, etc. Maybe an advanced kit with more... Maybe some wing kits as well. Then you can do bodies...

Just an idea...
    That's a great idea - but much better if a slot car supplier or raceway did that and made them available at raceways.

Perhaps someone who is buying these tapes and supplies in bulk rolls might want to do that!
    (or some of the current slot car parts suppliers)

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I never even see the products, nor do I package or ship them. I am simply finding these items on Amazon and putting them all in one online shop as a convenience.

What I would like to do... that might help accomplish what you suggested, is to put them together on a page... perhaps as another How-To or a resource page to go along with one the other How-To's, where you could see all of the items you need to wing bodies all on one page. I've been meaning to do that on several different items, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The hard part is in pinning down a list of specific items, rather then lists of several options for each item. There are always so many options and choices...

I tried plugging some 3M chassis cleaning gizmo's to put on your Dremel - and posted on here and on Facebook. That page has had hundreds of views, but not a single sale...
    same for the body mounting tapes & supplies I posted links to here.... oh well...

Are you sure you don't need any pajamas? LOL

Thanks for the birthday greetings!

Paul K @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Quote Originally Posted by wjdougherty View Post
    Paul,

Just an idea...
    That sounds like a terrific idea!

Anybody know why the painting 101 link isn't working? Nothing is there

DOH!

OWH site was put on a "diet" while moving to the new server...

File is now back online:

Painting 101 - by Craig "flyracing" Rieland & Paul "OWH" Kassens

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Thanks!

I just added a few choices of the 969 Tape you recommended:
    Paul K @ OWH
    Isn't the 2 mil 3M transfer tape that is recommended by Larry Blanton number 976. The 969 appears to be 5 mil adhesive. Not sure it makes any difference but the number of choices is confusing.
    I didn't even know there was a transfer tape of only adhesive until this thread. I have been using 3/4" Scotch 3M Double Sided permanent tape until now. Does the transfer tape hold better than the double sided tape?
    Mark

Koford has 1.5" 2 mil transfer tape and Wright Way has 1" wide 2 mil transfer tape. One roll will last a long time unless you build 20 bodies a week.

The transfer tape is much stronger then double sided tape, and lighter as well. I prefer the 5 mil to the 2mil due to increased strength but that is a personal preference issue.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

And that's why your bodies are heavy (Just kidding.) The Slick 7 1/2" wide transfer tape is 5 mil, but it IS heavier. I've had no problem with the 2 mil Koford tape.

Lol. I'm sure you are right every little bit helps, although the way I drive I need the extra strength.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Another very good thread on Winged Body Building...

Bump to top - since this topic was being discussed in another thread.

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123