Thread: Kathleen Watson

Kathleen Watson

I'm sad to have to post this news, but Kathleen Watson passed away today. She was a great person, fun to race with and always nice to be around. She is a great loss to P.A. and the whole slot racing community. Co-owner with husband P.A. Watson of Pasadena Slot Car Raceway, Slot Cars of Katy and now Slot Car Raceway LLC and Jet tires, they celebrated her 80th birthday and 35 years in the business this passed October.

That is sad news... and my heart goes out to P.A. and all the family and many friends.

I have met Kathleen several times at the Nats over the years, and she was always a pleasure to talk to. At the 2003 Nats in Pasadena TX she was a charming host and made me feel welcome all week I was there. She obviously loved the slot car scene and the many friends she has made in the hobby, and I'm sure was a very important part of slot racing in Texas, and especially to all of the racers who raced at their raceways over the years.

Kathleen paid me two of the highest complements, that I always cherished and always tried to live up to.

At the 1983 Nats in Centerville, Ohio, I was turn marshaling the very tight fitting 90, and at one point I simultaneously marshaled cars under the bridge and on top of the overpass. Kathleen was walking by and in her Texas drawl said: "Ya'll have got to be the fastest turn marshal I have ever seen!".

At the 2004 Nats in Tulsa I took several stints as Race Director. Once again, so many years later, it was Kathleen who walked up to me and told me that she thought I did the best job of race directing at the Nats.

Coming from her, I considered these very high compliments (and I didn't care how many others she might have said the same thing to!), and I always strove hard to live up to and deserve the honor of her kind words.

If those two small memories have stuck with me over the years... I can only imagine the impact and memories she has left with those who have had the privilege of knowing her much more closely over the many years in slot car racing, and in her 80 years on the planet.

She will be remembered and missed.

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Very sorry to hear this news, my condolances to PA and his family
    9x National Champion

Very sad news! My condolences to PA and his family!

My condolences to PA and his family.

R.I.P., Kathleen.

My condolences to P.A. Watson and family. Kathleen will always be remembered as a sweet caring person who was also so supportive to P.A. and slot car racing. God bless her soul.

David Lara

Godspeed and condolences to P.A. and the family.
    Mack Johnson
    '86 Mustang footbraker
    6.435 @104
    http://www.facebook.com/NCslottracks

Kathleen was as positive an influence as one can imagine, and will be sorely missed. Please be sure to provide your support, prayers, and/or thoughts to PA. He's not just one of the best slot racers ever, but a fine and patient man who is always eager to help out newbie racers as well as guys like me who have been around the block a few times without learning much.

For those interested, there are lots of comments on the Texas board...http://excoboard.com/TexasSlotCars/78019/1977995
    Last edited by aquavelvis; 02-23-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clean up
    Scott Taylor
    ...somewhere in North Bexar County

I'm so sorry to hear this and my condolences to PA and the family

P.A. posted this photo today.

Sorry for your loss PA! Kathleen will be missed by all of us! Godspeed.

Kathleen Watson was one of the finest People that I have ever met , she was selfless and Kind to everyone , I can honestly say the I have never met a better Person . She took me into her Home when I had no other place to go , She taught me to apply myself in every situation , she was my Guardian Angel and her Prayers kept me out of trouble and on the right Path . Kathleen is responsible for a lot of my success in Life , I remember her patience and caring guidance when no one else could reach me , she always had time for me and never turned me away in a time of need . I never got a chance to thank her for all that she did for me . Kathleen Watson was truly one of a kind . There are not enough Words in my Vocabulary to articulate the gratitude that I have for this Woman . It brings me great Peace knowing that you are comfortably looking down from your rightful place in Heaven . Rest in Peace my Friend , I will always remember your beautiful Smile and Caring disposition .
    For now , I'll just say , So long my friend , I'll see you in Heaven .