Thread: Anyone into racing Tether cars??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone into racing Tether cars??

Tether car racing has brought me over to slot car racing. Maybe it's a rail thing. Lol
    Well it was more of the scratch building side of the sport that has me interested in slot cars.

So.. Anyone else racing or collecting tether cars?

My ex girlfriends uncle used to race them.........

Modern tether car racing is a lot different than the 1950's. My dad was active in the local U-control model airplane club and one of their winter activities was tether cars at a local car dealer. They had enough floor space to set up a ring that consisted of an ancient flywheel with a ball bearing pivot for the steel cable. Not sure of the distance, but everyone spectated around the ring and timed laps with a stop watch.

Later in the decade, several model kits were made with electric motors to go with the plastic cars -Strom-Becker. Cox made a gas prop job as well.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

My hubby's fond of them!

I was just trying to explain these to Bill from HiSpeed Bodies today.They are pretty big in Bulgaria as they have made a real comeback recently.Most towns have a place for them along with the boats in the town park although many of them have been turned into permanent fountains and such.

I would have to really dig because i dont have Cyrilic on this computer for a Bulgarian one but this Russian pool is very close to the ones in BG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYyM790Jic8 and here is from the one world championship they had in Bulgaria.Just about every decent size town has or had one of these parks for this so I guess that is why its pretty popular there still.It took me a while to realize what they were and it was only when I saw kids doing it that I realized what it was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hICm_1L6H8 Lastly the planes are even more popular but partly is because after the collapse of communism all the places fell into disrepair and the planes dont need as smooth of a surface to take of from.

I don't race tethers but I do have an old one from childhood, it's a Rodzy Standard. See the 3rd Eye website for pic's
    Howard Smith
    3rd Eye Technology
    780 Carlita Cir.
    Rohnert Park
    Ca. 94928
    707) 664-1722
    email: I3rdeyeguy@aol.com
    www.thirdeyetechnology.net
    --------------------------------
    That'll Learn Yah

I saw that car on your site but didnt realize it was a tether car,it's very nice and I like the paintwork/decals for the company.It's amazing how fast these are,the world record is close if not a little over 200 mph :O

Current tether car WR is 214.347 MPH set in 2009 in Australia.

Seen one to go just 130 -140 mph - still impressive, that acceleration when getting onto the pipe resonance...
    zipper