Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to run Retro cars

Chicago,IL Just waiting to get back to the Beach!

Ready to run Retro cars

Do any of the distributors sell ready to run retro cars? Or is this strictly a build it yourself class?

You can buy chassis from chassis builders and assemble your own car. I know Dennis Samson will build a complete RTR car ---many other chassis builders out there as well. Not too many stocked at distributor level as far as I know.

Call any of the Raceways associated with the retro program and they will point you to their local builder as well. Contact Mike Swiss and I'm sure he can take care of you and he's local to the Chicago area...

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought. I don't get out much so I have not actually seen a Retro car. I was just reading a little about the Retro classes here on OWH. They sound like something I would like. I can't run wing cars anymore and if / when I open another track I want something "Retro" yet affordable. That's why I asked about distributor availability. What can I expect to pay for chassis? Do these Retro cars "need" to be run on the larger tracks such as kings, grandstands, hillclimbs and such? Or can they be fun on smaller say 4 lane routed basement or garage tracks?

Marlon, they run great at Wanker Valley, my 65 foot 4 lane Gerding basement track. Give me a call at 224-805-1138. JohnAustin
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

You can buy a chassis for as little as $40 or as much as $130, depending upon the builder's reputation and the success achieved with his/her chassis'. So, you can probably buy an RTR for about $100 - $200 for the same reason. There are a number of builders out there whose cars have winning pedigrees. Whether or not their schedule and/or demand for their product would result in you being able to buy one of their cars is another question. I won't mention any of them by name lest they not be in a position to build you an RTR at the moment; instead, let's let them come forward and speak for themselves if they feel so inclined.

Again, I suggest you can Mike Swiss at the number provided below. He knows retro cars, can provide recommendation, has all the parts available, and builds for customers.

Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave
    Westmont, IL 60559
    (708) 203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Thanks, I will talk with Mike.

again Jim Radford sells Tim Hanson built chassis, and may be able to get a complete car by tim, just ask. thats Pacific slot car raceway
    IDAHO SCC
    dub motors
    herminator tires
    PMP chassis
    Redfox
    BBB

They drive just like 4 1/2" Flexi`s with Truck bodies.

HAVE FUN

Actually, I drove a F1 car that wasn`t too bad.
    At least they are normal width and a little lower.

MCRACER don't listen to what Fleming says--a properly built and set up Retro car drives very similar to a good Flexi. Check out Slotblog.net for retro posts. You can also get ready to run cars from Hudson Valley Raceway in NY. Talk to Jimmy. 845 838 5333.

I have Tom Hanson and Bud Bartos cars that will be for sale as soon as I get them back from my friend.

They are so much fun to race that I lent them to him instead of "enjoying" running them myself.

If you like Womps and FCR`s, you will probably like retro.
    Personally, I like faster forms of racing.

'Faster forms of racing' that no one else is interested in...

Not true at all, there are many people racing faster slotcars around the US and Worldwide.

The retro fad is strong right now in Ohio but it won`t last.

You have been saying that for years now Mike, and it just keeps growing... LOL

How long does a 'fad' last?

All forms of racing eventually decline...

It sure happened to wing car, Flexi and ISRA racing in Ohio...

Sooo... what is the next 'fad' Mike?

FK wing car racing? no one interested. Ask Brian McPherson at REM

ISRA? DOA

FCR? Except for a few decent oval programs, the 'National Series' was an epic failure in Ohio

Flexi with sealed motors? Perhaps, but it is still unproven. Most retro guys have zero interest in them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast