Thread: 27l questions

27l questions

Hey guys starting to build my 27L gear up and have a few questions

Looking for a chassis 4.100 long recommendations please pro's and cons .....

And what mag and can setup .... Will be running on a king recently built here in Australia

Had a run on it the other night with my multi mag setup and was way impressed.....

Looking for all opinions so I can work out which way to go ......

I do like les wrights cans that I have seen but always looking

Thanks guys

Regards Makka

If it's Wayne's new Gerding King then I would suggest the RedFox chassis, choices for frames are basically the RedFox, Camen and Koford, they all have their fans. For a body, Red Fox FoxTail body cut 130/30 with 4x4 etched wings. For mags the popular choice are the radial mags made by Deltec and sold by WrightWay and Beuf and others. Cans include Camen, Koford and some are racing Cahoza cans. For tires for that track, assuming it's like every other Gerding, you should be sourcing some .650 hub tires in 1X and 2X hardness, either Koford, Jet, GoFast or Thunder Rubber.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Thanks hesketh

Pretty much what Cody has said ... I don't do body's .... I pay Cody to do mine

Ok so any other ideas ........

Thanks guys

Also one other variable I forgot to mention is armature size and timing, .490 to .500 but probably most common is .495 diameter. Timing started out in low 30's but it's been going up especially with the radials. Most common combo today is probably a .495 arm with radials, .510 airgap, 38+ timing and geared 11/44 (72 pitch) , Then run that with a choke on 1 to 4 feet, depending on everyone else.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

So been looking for red fox chassis but cannot find them anywhere who would stock them

Try contacting Les Wright. Pretty sure he can take care of you.

Bernie Schatz

No worries

Gezzus my head hurts been looking at all the stuff out there in the way of set ups. Koford caman and cahooza koford seams to be the cheapest.... Followed by Camen and the cahooza 20 bucks difference between them. So do I stick with koford or do I go to another brand..... Then the next issue is arms man I have been researching this stuff for the last 5 days ......... All because of a bloody rule change lol........

Welcome to the racing world - in any scale. Sometimes all you can do it pick the easiest one and hope for the best, or the next build..
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Makka - on motors - in the end it doesnt matter what brand you get. Just look for something that you can get a standard and a timed endbell for. Chassis is much the same - I have used Koford, Camen and B52 there - the body makes more difference than the chassis. Cody's bodys work there so that is fine. Not trying to disagree with Hesketh but I have always found 72 pitch gears to fragile and I stick to 64 Pitch. Cody's quickest motor is one that he borrowed of me, Koford Can, 4 deg endbell, 490 arm, Les Wright's radial mags.

Thanks for the info Lindsay looking at the Camen setup's at the moment tring to decide between the 400x400 or the 400x418 mag's or should I just get the straps and end bells then buy the wrightway mags.

Contact Al Chuck after he gets back from Reggie's race. He can set you up.

Bill
    HiSpeed

I run 64 pitch as well, was just pointing out what the typical fast setup was. The fast guys seem to prefer 72 pitch. Ignore the 400x400 and 400x418 mags. You should go with the plus 5% 27 Light mags. The rules allow for 5% variation, that would be .420 tall although the lengths tend to stick around .440 to .448. More mag is definitely better I also believe the rules specify 400x440 +/- 5% which would make the the 400x400 too short.
    Last edited by hesketh; 06-22-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Thanks for the info again...... Well I already emailed Joel and sounds like I will order a few strap cans and endbells and chassis