Thread: Questions about scx digital, availability, potential replacemets

Questions about scx digital, availability, potential replacemets

Hey everyone, my name is Jay. I am new to the forum. I wanted to pose a question. I've had my scx digital track for about 5 years but it's packed for the last 2-3 years. I recently unpacked it, and began playing it again. I now find it difficult to find replacement pieces. The gen1 cars I cannot find guide pins at all. The gen2 cars I can find stuff online but the lhs have either a very small supply or no supply at all if scx digital. What did I miss? What changed in the last 2-3 year's with scx? Lastly, because of the lack of local availability, I am looking to change over to scalextric digital. With scalextric, I would be able to keep my current vehicles and re-chip them without issue. I decided against carrera because the track width is too big imo. Ninco is a possibility as well. What's the current opinion out there on scx, scalextric, and Ninco's digital offerings. I find that carrera and scalextric are the most plentiful in my area.

Did you ever get your question answered about Carrera digital? Feel free to PM or email me for quicker reaponse: carlosinseattle@hotmail.com.

But I'd say take a second look at Carrera, only because it gives you the most options. Meaning their digital chip is larger so you can chip just about any car for their system. And as far as the track is concerned, A Carrera R1 is the same size as a Scaley R2. Most guys don;t use R1's because they are sooo tight. And all Scalextric home sets come with R2 turns for this reason. And as long as you aren't running 1/24 scale cars you won't need the Carrera borders. So a Scalextric turn with a border is wider than a carrera turn of the same radii without borders. Adn carrera track connects much better than Scalextric track. Just my two cents.

Go ANALOG> None of these companies have compatable digital systems....
    SCX is in the middle of a distributor change and hopefully will be in better shape to supply parts in the USA soon. I recall a tech rep from Ohio or Pennsylvania.

SCX MAY have a booth at the Chicago I-Hobby show in the first weekend of October. I hope to go again and find some better info.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

If you like digital stick with digital. Analog is fine, but digital has some things that analog can't offer.

As far as SCX; you just need to wait a few weeks or months on that. They are releasing an entirely new system soon, but the timeline is unclear. Some say the new technology will not be compatible with the old, while others say it will. Nobody knows for sure. SCX has gone through some major changes since you were last into the hobby. They were up for sale, nobody bought them as a company so they went into receivership. New ownership came in and bought the distribution rights. But by doing this they are not on the hook for anything the old company did. There's more to that but it doesn't really matter.

As far as slot racing is concerned we just don't know what the new company is going to do for sure. SCX made some really nice stuff and they were the leaders in digital out of the gate, followed by Ninco. Now everything has totally flip flopped with Carrera leading the way from a manufacturers standpoint, Scalextric is second, with Ninco third and SCX last. They are last only because they have not released anything new, and I mean anything, in the last 36 months. So Carrera and Scalextric have released many new features, even ones that have computer control through a smartphone or tablet. You still need controllers, but the race and power settings can be managed with your tablet/ipad or smartphone. And Ninco has announced that Professor Motor will be their distributor and they are releasing a bunch of new accessories and new protocol for their digital system. Digital is where all the energy is in the slot car world right now!

Ramcatlarry knows a lot, and he's totally correct about SCX as a company, but he doesn't use/race digital. Here's a video of one of my tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lYYecpChjE

Lastly, I have both Carrera and Scalextric digital tracks set up. And I've chipped cars from practically every manufacturer for both systems. It takes about as much time as changing an axle out, so not hard at all. I can talk you through that with videos and pictures if needed.
    Last edited by carlosinseattle; 09-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.

I will NEVER buy into digital slots - for sure. I do and have raced analog since the first Scalextric set in 1958 and everything is compatible and will ALWAYS be that way. I race commercial cars and owned a hobbyshop/raceway for over 12 years. I also race with a 60 member Chicago area 1/32 club that is analog and nonmagnetic.

Analog is never obsolete or proprietory.

60 year pin 1959-2019
    USRA 2019 member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcatlarry View Post
    I will NEVER buy into digital slots - for sure. I do and have raced analog since the first Scalextric set in 1958 ........Analog is never obsolete or proprietory.
    I am a huge fan of analog racing, but LIKE digital more. Didn't mean to imply that analog was obsolete.

I like the sign that my dad found on a trip in the ozarks after WW2: "..livin' caint be simple no more, they is too many gadgets....'
    Making a simple activity more complex is NOT progress, it is fundamental capitalistic greed to steal your money.

Just found this: www.scx-usa.com Oakridge hobbies ?location?
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 09-13-2014 at 01:40 PM.

60 year pin 1959-2019
    USRA 2019 member

OK....

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA 4G lte Smartphone