Thread: How `bout a whole THREAD dedicated to helping each other with COMPUTER issues???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How `bout a whole THREAD dedicated to helping each other with COMPUTER issues???

you know, MaYbE it's "off topic" but if ya wanna get on OWH, your `puter's gotta work, RIGHT??? so in effect, your clack-box IS a "required tool" for setting up your slot-cars properly... RIGHT???? Now, onto MY particular latest dilemma.... I usually use IE as a browser, & Yahoo as a homepage, (mainly so I can sit here & shoot my yap off at all the yawhat articles...)

BUT, NOWWwwwwWWWWw, I got this mess where the homepage of yawhat loads ok enough, but any kind of "secondary" paged article takes FOREVER, & my cursor RAPIDLY blinks from arrow to "pointy-finger" whenever it should be a solid pointy-finger.. not to mention that it WON'T pop up the page that I'm pointing to... Also, the comments sections won't pop up, won't pop up the "more" section of the comments, or let ME post any comments, all the while, with the pointy-finger blinking back-n-forth to being an arrow VERY rapidly ... BUT!!!! IF I use my AOL homepage to GET TO Yahoo, it all seems to work ok, so the whole problem is with Internet explorer???? I also get a lot of instances on OWH where I'll edit a post, push submit, & it DOES post, but then the whole page freezes, & I have to log off, & re-open the page.... I'm @ a loss on this one, Any ideas anybody? I really don't like using AOL as a home-page, `cuz their toolbars take up so much of the page...

Well..... the simple solution is.... don't use Internet Exploder.

I quit using Internet Exploder many years ago, mainly because it is evil, and secondly because it sucks. LOL

I use Firefox for most stuff. It has a ton of nice features, and I have used it for years.

I have been using Google Chrome lately - but mostly because it has some plugins/add-ons that I use for some of my web site work... but also because it has the "Hola" add-on that unblocks me from watching USA shows on sites like Hulu or any of the major networks (which really ticks me off how they block you if you are out of the USA btw).

But I still use Firefox most of the time because I am used to it.

Another couple things I would really recommend:

CCleaner - the FREE version is all you need. Run it to clean your browser cashe, cookies, and other crap (the first "C" in CCleaner originally stood for "crap"), whenever you are done browsing the Whirled Wide Web. Just avoid hitting the big orange (or green?) button that wants you to pay $24.99 for the upgrade and hit the grey button for the free version... unless you really want the upgrade.

Avast antivirus - again the FREE version is all you need. It works great, easy to use, and doesn't nag about upgrading nearly as much as most of the others, and is not as impossible to uninstall as McAfee.

Sounds like your blinking curser problems should probably stop when you change browsers...

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IE as a web browser - Yahoo your Home Page?

SPAM and bugs - you deserve each other

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Firefox.......works great. Haven't used IE in years
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

theres a reason ?

Some people call it INTERNET EXPLODER !

Actually, the problem could also be linked to your browser settings in IE. Specifically, if your browser is set to refuse to allow certain things like "pop-up" windows or accept cookies, some sites will have a very hard time loading on your screen.

I, too, am a Firefox guy, myself. But as with all browsers, settings must be correct in order to allow for desired performance.
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

IE, Chrome, Mozilla - all of them do work but IE might need some tweaking in the settings. The biggest problems I do have when using IE with some forum software and Facebook when replying/editing/attaching files.
    zipper

Hey zipper, that's exactly the problems I'm having with it, So, I've started using google chrome, & now that I've figured it out, it works with NONE of the "IE" problems... I even tried to update IE, & all I got was unwanted programs, & viruses that had to all be deleted, & fished out....