Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TruSpeed PWM II

This weekend just gone saw the Clash at the Cave, a 3-day, 7 class flat track fiesta in SoCal.

A great time to put my PWM 2 through some extended testing across a lot of different cars. Here are some of the things I learned:

In the GT12 class, I have always struggled with my motors having too much braking for this track, even when the controller's brakes are turned down as far as they will go.THe PWM2 had the same issue until I tried to use the Brake Hold feature as well as the brake reducer. The Hold dial sets how long the brakes apply before releasing. I found that it I set the brake reducer to minimum then dialed down the Hold button almost to its minimum, I could get exactly the braking I wanted. This is something I have not been able to do on other controllers, althoguh to be fair there are others (like the JayGee linear 200) that do have the same release feature. I just never thought of using it this way before.

I tried the PWM2 for 1/32 Eurosport practice, but could not choke the motor enough to make it drivable, so went with a Ruddock Chokemaster instead, with 17 feet of choke dialed in.

When it came time fo r1/24 Eurosport., I started practice with the Ruddock, then decided totry the PWM2 with a Bugenis choke hooked up as well. Starting on 18 feet, the car was immediately faster and on 24 feet even faster, as it smoother to drive. So I raced with that setup, did not do too well, but the car drove real nice. What I noticed that surprised me was that the PWM2 control box does not get even warm. I am used to the heatsinks on my other controllers being warm or hot after a 4 minute heat with a Euro motor., but this thing barely felt different to room temperature. According to the manufacturer, it's the PWM design that does this, I don't understand enough of the electonic theory to disagree, I just know it works.

I have run my retro cars a lot with this controller already, so no surpises there, I had the settings all ready to go, and everything worked well enough to win both F1 and CanAm.

I am going to think about making up a wire choke that can be mounted to the side of the PWM control box for easy handling and fast changes of choke settings. I will post pictures when I'm done.

But right now, I'm a happy camper, this is a very fine product.
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

Keep us all informed.

I've been enjoying mine since I got it back from you. Since our season ended in Oct I have only been able to use it on my track just playing around and still trying to figure out all the settings. Should have it dialed in by March! I've noticed the same thing, it barely gets above room temperature. I'll have to try the settings you use for GT12 to see how that works for mine, I too have way too much brakes for my track.

It has been a while since I posted updates here as I have learned more and more about the PWM II.

The new lessons learned are that in most cases an external choke is simply not needed. I found this out at the Nats warm-up at NJ Speedzone and at a race at the Garden State ISRA club earlier in the year.

In both cases even with a full-on 1/24 Eurosport, I could run without an external choke merely by setting a combination of the "Top Speed" setting (which acts like a voltage choke) and the "Accelerate" setting (which acts like a wire choke). I ran everything from Hawk-powered Flexis through to Euro F1 and 1/24 Eurosport all on this one controller.

Through all of it, the controller never even got warm. There is no discernable heat build up in any part, not the control box, the wires, anything.

I have also replaced the original phosphor bronze wiper arm with the newer stainless steel version. This was a good upgrade, as the controller action is now even smoother and it seems to be more resistant to problems from any dirt build up. In 3 months since I put in the new wiper, I have had to open and clean the wiper and the element board only once.

One last item. Since I like a longer trigger stroke for flat tracks than for swoopy tracks, I have reverted to using my PWM I for retro racing on the Gerding King at Buena Park Raceway. The PWM I was buit in a Parma handle so has a shorter trigger stroke like a Turbo had, but I stil have most of the features of the PWM II. What I noticed very quickly was how good the brakes are. I seldom have to dial out brakes with the gearing we use on that track, but with this controller on the middle lanes I could definitely reduce them, which lead to faster times and smoother laps. I guess I could set the stroke on the PWM II to match the PWM I, but I would rather leave that setting alone as I run a lot more on flat tracks.

That's it for now, I hope this is helpful/useful info.
    Last edited by gascarnut; 03-30-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12