Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Test Controller @ Home?

How To Test Controller @ Home?

Hey all,

If one soo felt inclined to test a controller at home with out a track hookup, how would this be accomplished?

I have a bench power supply.

It seems I remember there use to be a test board that had a braid contact on one side and the 3 controller terminals on the other side.. that could be used for this purpose...

To be honest, all I want to do is power the controller up so I can use my volt meter to find where I need to tap power from to wire an LED to show me when track power is on..

I thought of just connecting the power supply to the controller, but was worried that might hurt it?

Thanks!

-TheChad

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Connect the Red controller wire to the Black (neg) Power supply wire, Connect the White Controller wire to the Red (pos) Power supply wire. Your controller is now powered up. If you wanted to test a motor or car, then connect the Black controller wire to the Pos motor connection (typically the front), and a second wire from the Red/Black connection to the Neg motor connection (typically the rear)
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

On this site, search how to to bench test a controller.
    Google how to test a slot car controller, you have a power supply and volt meter, is it a volt ohm meter, should be able to check any controller, motor, track voltage, also online basic electronics and electrical information.

Here's a simple wiring diagram I found on Greg Braun's web site, showing a one lane hookup...
    - this could be used to set up a "test block" using a few terminal posts to clip your controller to,
    and a couple contact strips on a wood test block to contact the braid when you set a car on it.

Here's a link to the article on Greg's HO Slot Car Racing web site:
    http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Power.html

While this article is mostly aimed at HO or 1/32 scale tracks - the wiring diagram above is basically the same for 1/24.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When I tavel I take along a controller tester. Basically Paul's diagram in a box with binding post on both ends. One end for the power supply (12 volts - red, white), the other end has the binding posts for the controller (red, white, black). Also has a volt meter to read what would be at the track, as well as lead wires I can hook up to a motor to test.

Same general diagram is on every Parma controller box sold. A 9 volt battery makes a nice race day bench test power supply.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

PK, the diagram you posted (post #4) is backwards according to how the majority of tracks in the US are wired. Positive Right, Negative Left.

The diagram is correct when the driving direction is down - not up. Black controller wire is the variable POSITIVE on right. Many HO and homeset tracks are wired backwards.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

Larry, of course you are correct, but if you use the arrows as an indication of travel direction (why else would they be there) the diagram would be incorrect, correct? ;-)

When I finish building a controller I use a rig similar to bozi. I made it out of an electrical wall box, There are two posts for the power suppy and three for the controller. I use a TSR motor and listen for the rise and fall of sensitivity and brake response. I do this before I take the controller to the track for a final test. I have the same set up for my racer chaser box that I take to a track when I service controllers.
    I was trained to use a power supply hooked up to a controller without any tpe of a setup, just clip the motor to the power supply and controller. My test rig allows for a quick check and the hook up is the same evey time. If you have the time and desire a test rig like mine can be put together for little money and litle time. I used the wiring diagram(s) that I found on this website.

John Andersen
    DR Racing Products

I dont want to hijack the thread, but bonzi mentioned a voltage meter. What type of volt meter are people using on their controllers. Every meter that I try to use on my controllers usually burn up after 30 minutes of use. Any suggestions would be welcome.

John Andersen
    DR Racing Products

Hi John,
    The voltmeter I installed in Michael Iga's custom carbon fiber box is made by Murata Power Solutions (not cheap) and have used the cheap ones from Ebay.

Thanks guys!

That's exactly the information I was looking for!

Does anyone have any pictures of their test rig/box?

Thanks!

-TheChad

The Chad, here is a picture of one of my test rigs. This is going into my racer chaser box for the track tomorrow. It looks a little busy but it works well. The two wires coming out of the electrical wall box are about 12 inches long so if I need to test something off the base i can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Controller tester

Top red and black binding posts are for the power supply.
    Aligator clips are to connect to a motor.
    Bottom red, black and white binding posts are for the controller.
    Volt meter reads the voltage to the motor (not the voltage from the power supply) so I don't need to test with a motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast