Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Test Controller @ Home?

Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    I dont want to hijack the thread, but bonzi mentioned a voltage meter. What type of volt meter are people using on their controllers. Every meter that I try to use on my controllers usually burn up after 30 minutes of use. Any suggestions would be welcome.

John Andersen
    DR Racing Products
    I have the same question...

This is how it's done. The only requirement is that you have a 12V power supply that can give current enough to make a car spin its wheels.

1) Connect the controller to the power supply: Red wire to 0V (ZERO), White wire to +12V.
    2) Connect the car/motor/tire-truer to the Red wire (0V on the power supply) and the Black wire from the controller.
    3) Press the trigger. The car/motor/tire-truer should start to run, speed depending on how far you press the trigger.

Brake function is testet this way:

4) Repeat 1) and 2)
    5) Turn brake knob to minimum
    6) Connect a car between White wire (+12V on the power supply) and the Black wire from the controller.
    7) The car/motor/tire-truer should now start to run. The speed will depend on the position of the Brake-know. With the knob at "Max" the the car/motor will get full power.

This simple test will not say very much about the absolute performance of the controller. It's a basic test that is showing if the basic functions work as intended.

Good luck.

Steen

From a old post. Might help.

Merry Christmas....Bob K.

http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...ht=#post267390

A Great contraption!.

I anybody would like to make measurements instead of visual impressions the motor could be exchanged by a resistor pulling something like 1A. This could be a 10ohm resistor,, that would pulle 1,2A at 12V.
    A cheap voltmeter could measure the voltage difference between white and black when testing the power, and between red and black when testing the brakes.
    A voltage of 0,12V would indicate a resistance of 0,1ohm, is OK for brakes, but 10 time too much when measuring power. At least in my book.

Steen

I just measure the amperage going thru the controller connected to my power supply, adjusting the voltage so my supply can handle it - about 10 A max. By looking at the current and how it rises I can see if the curve is reasonable. Naturally I have used a resistor, too and a test motor.
    zipper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12