Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425

Thread: PS4002FK experiences

Quote Originally Posted by DirtReaper01 View Post
    They allow you to blueprint the motor glue epoxy and all that in tails. I have done that to a few. I had talked to the guys at speed zone and they gave me some good info on gearing. He may not be as fast at first but the motor does not smoke.
    Gearing plays a big part the trick is to figure what the motor wants not whats written on the packet, we only flat track down here so gearing will be different to you guys.

I run anything from 11/35 to 12/37 tyres around 16.8mm new to min 15.7 depending on axle height, body type versus race length also play a big part.

We run high down force euro sport bodies for short race 6x3, car runs great does tend to drop off if slightly over geared however if running a 6x5 you can feel some drop off.

Now this may sound mad but i also run coke, yep on a 4002 as it doesnt hurt power as much as it would on a open motor but it does however make life a tad easier for the 4002FK.

I dont tend to run my good gear or take racing to serious on a club night however with our nationals coming up i will run things much harder and tend to not worry about failures as its only a one off race of 6x3.

Ive also found a transistor based controller is much nice on the low powered motors than a FET controller, if you notice most of the worlds best run also sorts of weird looking controllers which are mainly transistor based, running too much brake hurts them as does trying to turn the controller into a light switch all may make it feel faster but doesnt convert into more laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    "can't"??
    sorted thank you

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    Yes, if you mean narrowed like the the diagram (below);

Attachment 15582

I call that shorter.

Narrow to me means East to West, not North to South.

(added image - PK)
    Question, I have been shorting brushes to .075 for a long time. East to west. I have done it to reduce drag on lower amperage draw motors in drag cars . Have you played with that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by skigolfmike View Post
    That would be a Dremel that vibrates because it's out of balance. The vibration on the shaft when cutting it off might loosen the bushing in the end bell.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

PS4002FK experiences

Reducing the brush surface area won't reduce drag, as the remaining surface area receives more pressure. Lighter springs would've required to achieve what you want I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

Quote Originally Posted by swodem View Post
    Reducing the brush surface area won't reduce drag, as the remaining surface area receives more pressure. Lighter springs would've required to achieve what you want I think

I suppose but a .075 height brush vs a 1.00 would equate to les suface contact then less drag. Spring tension remaining constant. The spring rate dosent change with brush width

No but think pressure per surface area. Take a brick and rest it in your hand. No issue. Now fix a needle into the brick and try resting in your hand. Yeow! Same pressure, different surface area

Still less resistance.

Perhaps more. Depends on how the two surfaces react to pressure. Obviously you don't understand how pressure works. How is it that a tyre is inflated to 30psi and that lifts a 1500kg car?

Surface contact. Sidewall construction plays a roll also

I believe in part of what your saying in that due to less su rface contact same spring tensiob the brush will wear quicker. So if a spring had 5 lbs per sq in then all of its applied to a smaller area. So now your point makes sense but my theory still makes a bit of sense to me

PS4002FK experiences

You are not taking into consideration the force from the spring is static. You are right if the pressure per sq inch remained the same, but it doesn't. Halve the surface area, double the force per square area, if the force remains the same
    So lighten the spring, leave the brush unmodified.
    Get an empty motor can (no magnets) an armature, brushes and springs all assembled and test it with a spin test.

I suppose the pressure at the tip or face of the brush may be different. But I was thinking along the lines of spring rate. At a given angle determined by by brush length. Idk man I see your point. Now if a fiddle stick was accurate it would be interesting tr2 o see a few things. Some how I don't think my Remac will be of value here. Lol but I do find use for it on real race motors