Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: PS4002FK experiences

Nearly two tenths. I will be surprised If I get another podium out of it.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

Why persevere with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

I am putting more emphasis on the retro CaAm class and I just want to see how long it will last. I do plan on replacing the brushes soon, however, I have never been a big fan of just replacing brushes without re-truing the com. We will see how it does.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

So far I have 6. races on my 4002 fk in a Gp 12 Wing car geared 14/38 on Marks Model Worlds G 19, the stock brushes still look good. and it hasn't slowed down... Average 280.25 laps a race and TQed once and top 3, 5 times. 290 laps in its third race. 2 off the track record. 1681 race laps so far plus practice!

Mark, several have good runners. How many do you have and is this your best or just one you plugged in?.......
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Have you guys been running the stock springs?

I tried both stock springs and brushes, and also BF and Gold Dust with Champion Lite springs.

I think my best motors have been with the stock springs and brushes.

These are really good motors right out of the bag.
    Don`t make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Well, I have been told by those that I feel are knowledgeable, Some say change the springs and brushes , other say leave it stock. I think(IMO) the situation, is just like any other motor, they vary couple of tenths. That seems to be the one constant in slot motors. Appreciate the input......
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

The rules here in New Zealand prohibit the changing of springs and/or brushes in PS4002FK motors.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

ha-ha on enforcing that!
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

yeah its crazy. I can't understand why have a seal if you expect parts both in front as well as behind to be 'sealed'. Duh!?

Many groups permit the the brushes and springs to be changed... The seal, glued endbell and screws are a deterrent to getting 'inside' the motor easily, as is done with the Retro Hawk and other internal brush FK motors...

Rick, I have bought about 8 motors since we started our wing class in December. My best motor happened to be the second one I got I think you are right about motors in general being a couple tenths in difference. My guess is its just a better armature, I always figured if you gave me a choice between a really fast setup or a really fast arm, I would always pick armature. The application for this motor in a wing car is a little different than other classes because of the weight being around 62 grams and the fact that they are run at a constant high rpm without much braking. We have seen some failure in the stacks [throwing pieces off especially right next to where the balance holes have been drilled] Sometimes its hard to see because of the center strap of the can. And you only notice when you clean up your motor and see a piece of lamination stuck to the magnet. From my experience the stock parts work fine but the before you break it in,put clear nail polish on the seal glue in the end bell bushing, solder in can bushing ,check brush hoods for reasonable alignment. and hope its got a better than avg arm. With the wing cars your body can make the biggest difference of all. By the way my best motor is missing three pieces of lam on half of one stack but it doesn't seem to have much effect.. go figure.

Post a pic of that arm Mark Proppe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think I can because you can barely see it with a 10 power magnifier at just the right angle because its under the center strap.

If you are picking out motors try and stay away from the ones with huge dia. drill balance holes. it seems they drill to deep and wide into the stack and compromise the web a little bit.