Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: PS4002FK experiences

The glue I use for the end bell bushing is the new Gorilla Super Glue. They say it has rubber in the formula to withstand impacts and vibration, Ive had good luck so far with it.

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    I would like to ask would this FK motor be a good choice for us down in SC racing retro rides?

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Right now the PS 4002FK is the best low cost, sealed motor.

The Ohio Retro guys are going to it next season and it`s the handout motor at USRA Nats in LMP this year.

I`m sure you guys in SoCal would be happy running them.

I have no debate that the PSFK is a great value. But like any other motor, the more you buy or get to pick thru the better your chances to be on the good end of the 2 tenths. Some things are just a constant in slot car motors......
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

This motor is going pretty well reliability-wise and seems if you don't get one with an obvious fault like loose magnet(s) or tight brushes they run pretty similar. Not a revver but very torquey...taming the torque in low downforce bodies seems to be the only downside.
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

At Speedzone ive seen 5 motors so far that knocked magnets loose.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    5 motors out of approximately how many run?

Ask the guys at MMW running Group F cars with the PS4002FK motors. I haven't heard of a lot of problems from them.

How many laps have I put on the one in my Group F car I've been testing Roman?

I think it's pretty reliable. YMMV.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    I agree Mike thus my curiosity about issues that gotboostedvr6 was seeing.

Maybe they are geared to high and the glue is getting soft. I would just add some extra super glue to a new motor problem solved.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

The Group F cars are geared 14/38 with .775" tires, which is geared pretty much to the moon. I think 13/38, 64P or 14/42 72P is the norm for flexis.

You cant expect a motor to live when you are pushing it to the moon. That is what happens in racing racers will push a motor to the moon and the one with good luck is the winner.

Only way to solve that problem is have a spec gearing so racers cant push the motors that hard. Good thing is that way motors last and you dont have to buy a new one each week.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Well, the results don't agree with your assessment. These motors seem to last and stay fast for a long time even geared like that. Might be a combination of a mild arm in a strong magnetic field with a lot of air gap. The motors get warm, but not hot. We see a little fall off in a 2 minute heat in Group F. The amp draw on these things is about 1.6A at 5V, but I suspect a lot of that has to do with the comms being small, about .175", so standard horizontal brushes are probably shorting out the comm. Narrowed brushes would likely fix this; however, if it's not faster ...

I really haven't seen the mags coming loose.

But they do seem possessed by the devil.

The latest one I have in my hardbody ran a record time and lap total on the flat track last Saturday, but the start of every heat was an adventure on whether the motor would start.

I tried it earlier this week to find the spot in the rotation where it would stall.

I did and marked the stack on the bottom so I could avoid that spot at the start of the heat in the future.

But,subsequently, even purposely leaving it there wouldn't stall it consistently.

I moved it to the King and it was running great except one time the motor completely lost power for a split second.

And then a little later, it stalled when I stopped it on the straight.

Trying to take off, it let off a pretty decent puff of smoke.

I was hoping it was dead, but it still runs, noticeably slower, but only about .05 on the timer.

Weird stuff.

Luckily, it's a great value, and for $13.95, my guys don't get too emotionally attached to them. Lol

They just toss 'em and buy a new one(s).
    Last edited by swiss; 04-09-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Do ya think the restart problem might be due to the full width brushes shorting out the comm? Would narrowing the brushes help? Reliable restarts are pretty important.