Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: PS4002FK experiences

Sorry Larry I don't believe in sealed motors and I never have. I believe a sealed motor promotes a false sense of fairness and equality. The IRRA figured that out 5 years too late and they have all but abandoned the sealed motor idea over the throwaway HRFK motor. I only run sealed motors if they are the only motor legal for the class I intend to participate in and I only do it for that reason, so I can race in a specific class. Normally I carry on with the tradition of what slot car racing was truly like before the advent of sealed motors. I only have 2 PS4002FK motors and hopefully they will work as well in the car as they sound on the box. I believe the JK Hawk and Hawk 6 should also be considered in this group of Mini motors. They run great and have excellent air flow with the wide open can, but too bad for the sealed motor racers they don't have seals. How great is that?
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Sorry Fred ... I race nothing but sealed motor classes.

Over my nearly 66 years on this earth I have leaned one thing...

Opinions are like *** holes... everyone has one.
    Last edited by larrymatt; 11-23-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Some enjoy the art and science of building competitive motors....including myself. But to pay homage to those who dont, this model PS appears as one of the best offerings do date. It clearly presents itself as reasonable means for a driver to compete against other drivers without having to compete against their motors.

Amen Guy...

The PS-FK motor has the potential to change the face of slot car racing!

I'm not seeing large numbers in 'built' motor classes...

You may start seeing a lot more in "built" motor classes when the seals come off all those motors leaving the retro racing scene since the HRFK has now become the new darling motor in retro racing. There is also no class for mini motors in either ISRA or USRA that allows a "built" mini motor. If that ever happens you'll see more. I believe they'll become the next motor in retro to compete with the HRFK if they ever get approved.

The old saying is "opinions are like aholes, everyone has one and they all stink." I would add "they all deserve consideration." How else can we forge ahead? We either refute or accept the opinions of others based on FACTS.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

I suspect that we're coming up another inflection point in the evolution of slot car motors. As the C-Can replaced the D-Can and other larger motors for the fastest ceramic magnet racing, I think it's inevitable that it will it be replaced by mini-can built motors. It'll take time...look how long D-cans have hung on...but it will happen.

I've a box full D-can motors that I'll probably never race again and before investing $$$ on additional C-can stuff, I'd rather buy fresh GP-12 and Super Wasp arms for my worn out sealed mini-motors.

I'd encourage the USRA BOD to take the lead and propose one built mini-motor class each for DIV 1 and Div 2 at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps run a "demo" race at the 2015 nats just to test the waters and give folks an opportunity to see what works and doesn't.

- Jeff
    JayGee Racing Controllers - 24 Bands of Bliss
    www.jaygeeracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    You may start seeing a lot more in "built" motor classes when the seals come off all those motors leaving the retro racing scene since the HRFK has now become the new darling motor in retro racing. There is also no class for mini motors in either ISRA or USRA that allows a "built" mini motor. If that ever happens you'll see more. I believe they'll become the next motor in retro to compete with the HRFK if they ever get approved.

The old saying is "opinions are like aholes, everyone has one and they all stink." I would add "they all deserve consideration." How else can we forge ahead? We either refute or accept the opinions of others based on FACTS.
    Lot of IFS there Fred... LOL

The PS-FK will be the 'next' motor in retro and other low end forms of racing...

What 'facts'? I haven't seen any from your end...

Many have found that opinions are best accompanied by latitude.

Otherwise,

“Some men would rather break their donkeys back, than give them the carrot they both require to progress.”
    ― R.P. Falconer

"Lot of IFS there Fred". I see one IF. How about you. C'mon man I know you can read. Please when you quote me be accurate. I said "I believe they'll become the next motor in retro to compete with the HRFK". It would be a logical step since they are the same in all respects except the 4002FK has changeable brushes and springs. The cost of each is about the same.

'You MAY start seeing a lot more' ...

'IF that ever happens' ...

One MAY... One IF...

Semantics... LOL

I see how you could be confused. MAY and IF look so much alike. Remember this is the English language not something you make up.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
    Shontel

Dallas Slot Cars
    dallasslotcars.com

I am using my unsealed (X-PD) cans for eurosport classes. Why use a choke when a reasonable arm will work just as well - like a 1/32 grp 12?
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    I see how you could be confused. MAY and IF look so much alike. Remember this is the English language not something you make up.
    IF ... In the event that

MAY ... Might, likely to

Semantics...

I hear some of these motors have drilled balancing and some have very rough grinding balancing...I'm interested to know who has what .... have at look at your arms and post
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent