Thread: Pi

Pi

Hi Paul

I hope all is well with you and your family in Philippines?

Happy Holidays
    Mark
    Prime Racing

All's fine down here in the far south Davao Gulf region. It didn't even rain here - sunny and warm all weekend. The storm hit a few hundred miles north of us up in the Central Visayas.

We are shielded by the Davao Gulf, much like Seattle is inland on Puget Sound, and they say that this area has never been hit by a typhoon (knocking on wood). We feel incredibly fortunate, and our hearts go out to all those suffering casualties and loss of homes up north of us.

Although I have heard that there are some casualties reported now, it was nowhere near the devastation of last year's Super Typhoon Haiyan, where over 6,000 lives were lost and they are still recovering from the destruction.

This one, Super Typhoon Hagupit, wound up hitting landfall at Tacloban, the same city that was devastated last year... and swept across the northern Philippines.

Amor's brother's family lives up that way, but in the southern tip of the island of Leyte. The storm hit more on the north end of the island.
    They were evacuated to a shelter for a day or two, but are safely back home now - but without power.

One thing I can say from the reports I have seen... they were REALLY prepared this time and did an EXCELLENT job of organizing all the evacuation and emergency services and relief efforts. They were stocked up on emergency food, water, & supplies days ahead of time, and evacuated targeted areas well in advance.

The preparations and organized emergency efforts probably contributed to saving many potential casualties.

Here's a link to BBC News report with pics:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30366091

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-09-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Hi Paul
    I a very glad to hear you and family are safe!!!!
    Best Regards
    Mark
    Prime Racing

That country has had a few hard years.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Pacific Coast Hobbies
    PCH Parts Express
    www.e-slotcar.com
    800 258-7441 (inside the USA)
    805 988-8044 (outside the USA)
    We take most credit cards, debits cards, gift cards and PayPal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PCHPartsExpress View Post
    That country has had a few hard years.
    So has the good old USA.... or so I've heard!

But in spite of having more then a fair share of natural disasters, political, economic, and terrorist threats....
    The many positive aspects, at least in my opinion, greatly outweigh the potential dangers and inconveniences.

I have to admit, I still get a little choked up every time I see the promo ad video "It's More Fun in the Philippines"... because it really IS.
    (and I think this video gives a pretty good feel of how laid back & friendly the people and the lifestyle is here!)

and if that doesn't do it... then check out this "Thank You" video, that was made last year to thank the world for all the help and support after the destruction by Typhoon Haiyan.

Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-09-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com