Thread: Anyone Used to "Conk" the Track?

Anyone Used to "Conk" the Track?

Huh?

"Conk"?

Yeah, that's what we used to do in Houston back-in-the-day(1970-ish).... conk = glue. Just wondering if the use of that term was just a Houston thing, a Texas thing, or was even more broadly used elsewhere?
    Let me know if you want to know my real name... it's not "Tex". LOL

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Must be a local thing, I've been involved with "glue" racing since it started early 70's maybe? ( even some in Texas 75 - 77) and never heard the term.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Never heard the term used before today.

How did the word "conk" come about as a term for gluing the track? I have some terms I use for glue on the track,none of which can be used here.

I never heard of the term "conk" mentioned either. Here in New England, the name "konk" refers to Seekonk Speedway, a 1/3 mi. paved oval in Seekonk, MA. My memories of unlimited slot car glue is that by the end of a race meet, the atmosphere of the raceway was as if it was filled with fog. And if you wore eyeglasses, you'd be cleaning them every 15 min. with lighter fluid so you could still see.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Conk is an old term for the condition of hair. I think it came from the name of a hair product.. Google it

John Andersen

Hey"
    John is right, i didn't really know how to bring it up though!
    Thanks, Ron

I have never heard the term "Conk" used in slot car racing before (or anywhere else) either.

But I took John's advise and Googled it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=conk

Kinda makes me wonder if they used hair gel to gloo the tack in Texas... or worse yet, slot car gloo for hair gel! LOL

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Maybe there's a connection in there somewhere... answer is lost in time/space no doubt. All I know is, that was the term being used when I began competitive slot racing around 1969 or so. For what it's worth, we pretty much used Joe Sullivan's DART for glue back then. It was red, not really thick, and I guess would be considered "light" glue. I also remember that we used to glue lanes on the OUTSIDE of the turn until some of the more adventuresome Texas racers attended one of the larger non-Texas races and were soundly admonished/ridiculed for doing so. After that, we glued the lanes on the INSIDE of the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Kinda makes me wonder if they used hair gel to gloo the tack in Texas... or worse yet, slot car gloo for hair gel! LOL

PK @ OWH
    "Is it a desert topping or a floor wax?.....It's BOTH!"

I made my own back in the day with STP and a little Marvel Mystery Oil. Still put a little MMO in everything. Smells like slot cars should.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam pan View Post
    "Is it a desert topping or a floor wax?.....It's BOTH!"

I made my own back in the day with STP and a little Marvel Mystery Oil. Still put a little MMO in everything. Smells like slot cars should.
    Same recipe I used to mix up. Love the smell of Marvel Mystery Oil in the morning.

Here in the Philippines you can buy little bottles of Efficascent Liniment oil for massage that is pretty much oil of wintergreen. Every time I smell it, it brings back fond memories of the "old days" of slot car racing...

Once I started racing scale non-gloo or spray-gloo cars, after experimenting with all sorts of lotions & potions, I established an infamous reputation for using Mary Kay Hand Cream.

"A Little Dab 'L Do Ya"

Full circle... back to the hair gel references once again...

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Back when?......I was 13 in 1966 and the 2 sheet particle board track I had, I remember using STP as track glue....

Guys:
    You have to be old to even know what Marvel Mystery Oil is, we use it all the time in our Vintage Muscle Car Restoration business.
    Thanks, Ron

Never heard the term in Dallas, but it is probably the sound the car made when it hit the glue!!

Some of the Houston racers at the time, that possibly would remember the term, are Joe Calabretta, Ty Fawley, Ken Evans, Tippy Cherico, Cliff Horn, Bobby Taylor, Larry Willman, Carey Drewes(RIP) and Jim Brown(RIP).