Thread: Track cleaning for the checkpoint....a question for the scrra board

"Grape Land"....... No..... Not Napa, Ca.

Track cleaning for the checkpoint....a question for the scrra board

I have a question to ask the SCRRA Board members about track cleaning for the up and coming Checkpoint Race......

I know things have improved from the days of Paul and the track is now cleaned in Naphtha and the glue is thinned also with Naphtha. In the past the track has been cleaned right before the Can-Am race. I mean that Saturday morning. It seemed to make the track right for certain racers that had the special tires and only a few had them. This is the truth most everyone down at BP knows this is how it was.

The last time I was there for a Checkpoint race, I was told that the track would be cleaned Friday after the Retro Pro race. And it was and the track was ran on for the rest of the night and came in.... Perfect for the Can-Am race. You were able to tune your car and get it dialed in as it should be. This is great for the out of town racers to get their cars up to speed to race with the locals at BP. The next morning the track was cleaned again! The track was perfect....This thru out all of the tuning that was done on Friday night.

In all my years of racing I never have seen this done like this! I know why it's done and it is very unfair for a lot of racers, especially the out of town racers. Has this practice stopped? I sure hope so! Because it makes for a unfair advantage for certain racers. I know this because I've been told by many racers in the past and have witness this first hand also. I have been told that TJ Albu does a awesome job on cleaning/gluing the track the night before. I have also been told that there are a lot of BP racers that like it done this way and are happy. That's just how it should be done!

I thank the SCRRA Board of members for their response,

Dave
    Last edited by The Vitter; 12-27-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    THE VITTER.....UNTIL NEXT TIME.....THAT'S ALL FOLKS

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Well Dave, I know that Cukras will see this and he will give a response one way or other.
    Have to say that Dave has a valid point about cleaning the track the same day as the race is happening is the wrong way, they just wasted ex amount of $$ to get ready for the next race.
    The reason is this out of town guys don't live in the neighborhood to set up their rides, so they come a day early to set up their rides and it will cost them some $$$ for hotels ect.
    I think when the Brain truest of S.C.R.R.A looks into this they will see the logic in this matter, all I can say is that Cukras and Warmack is going to be fair.
    I can't say what will happen but I know that Tumble Weed connection from Arz don't like it as well, glue it the night before and get it done with.

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

It looks like the guys don't have a opinion at this point it will take days before they get one!
    I'm sure there will be one eventually!

Nesta

Unlike you and I, Nesta, not all slot racers live in front of their PCs

Give them a day or 3 to reply.

In my opinion, the track conditions set the day/night before, should be those used the following day
    Last edited by Zippity; 12-28-2014 at 09:26 PM.

You are so right atbout this just waiting for the chips to fall?

Nesta

Nesta,

Your explanation in post #2 makes sense to me.

It sounds to me like the reason they decided to clean the track the morning of the race was to be fair to the those coming from out of town... especially those coming the day of the race.

Unfortunately, this also tends to minimize any advantage gained by those who spent the extra time and $ to come a day early and tune their cars the night before, on the broken-in track conditions.

Sounds to me like they fully intended to make it as even a playing field as possible... and it was not their intention to do anything unfair.

In hindsight, however, it might be better to simply have stayed with the normal procedure of preparing the track the night before, even if this gives a possible advantage to those who come early and dial in their cars the night before.

I have no dog in this race - just an observation based on what you posted, and knowing the integrity of those in charge.
    Rather then to assume there is a conspiracy... it is much better to remember that these are fellow racers who are running the show, with every intention to make the events as fair and fun as possible.

I also assume that most people did not post... because like me, they were probably waiting to see if Cukras or Warmack would post a reply or explanation first.

Patience Grasshoppers... I'm sure all will become clear in good time...

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Question for The Vitter - does your question mean that you are planning to attend the CPC this year? That would be good, we have not seen your smiling face in the place for a while!

Are you going to bring Crash Codger and other NorCal'ers with you?
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

"Grape Land"....... No..... Not Napa, Ca.
    Hi Dennis,

Yes, you will be seeing my smiling face down at BP in a few days. I haven't seen you guys for awhile so I figured I would do a drive by. The Crash Codger is coming down to hang out, about others ....I'm not knowing? Mom...I agree with you on some of your points and strongly disagree with you on others. It's cool though, that's just how it is.

Dave
    THE VITTER.....UNTIL NEXT TIME.....THAT'S ALL FOLKS

Cukras don't like to post but if he needs to do so I think he will! I might be wrong but I know that Warmack will do so.

Nesta