Thread: Mike D Goes Int-15 Racing

Mike D Goes Int-15 Racing

They say never tip your hand, but what's the fun in that? Thought I'd share my adventures of Int-15 racing for 2015.

Have been planning to get to Port Jeff for the next few months. I went last March and had a good time but for a multitude of reasons, it didn't pan out for 2014. Disappeared altogether for several months from August to November, got caught up in building guitar tube amps. Yay.

So here's where we're at:

I'm a novice so it's OM-15 for me. Been thinking of motor ideas so I picked up a few things here and there and have settled with this, almost completed setup, which will hopefully be finished up in the next week or so (talk about cutting things close...):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1017..jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	15147

Camen Int-15 Bare kit w/ aluminum endbell, adjusted hardware timing.

ProSlot PS-910 Mags, epoxied and baked in by my local raceway owner, Jerry Sr. He did some magic at a late hour two weekends ago and got the can bearing in. I got the endbell bearing in with some Harbor Freight red loctite knockoff glue and some luck. Probably not straight, but it's my first attempt. We are left with having to hone the magnets to size the arm. Koford 40-deg hand wound arm 500 dia, going for an air gap hole 522. Any advice on air gap?

I happened to pick up the 6-segment PS-911 mags for future use. I've been told the magnets make the motor....any thoughts?

Cahoza hardware and 5-coil spring cups complete the picture above. I was disappointed the spring cup is black and not blue! So i ordered a *(@#&$(-load of cups from Slick 7, we'll see what we end up with. Any thoughts on using 5-coil or 3-coil springs? What's your favorite?

For chassis I picked up a couple of PRI chassis kits and built one for the first attempt. Just did it by eye, not really versed on how to blue print one, the metal goes in the slot and the solder goes in there! lol. Also picked up an ARP chassis and I will put that together in the next week or so.

For OM15 gear restricted to 9/43 or 9/44...the PRI I built up I threw a new koford motor into and the mesh liked the 9/44....last march had some issue with 9/43 so will go with 9/44 this time around.

Last, body. I'll get a picture later but I built up a Banshee that I got early last summer that did great on a $100 wing car. I built the body 130/30 4x4x5. Would appreciate any thoughts on body/dimensions for the ARP car if anyone letting cats out of bags

Well that is enough for now, hopefully some good can come of this thread aside from laying my hand on the table before bets are placed ha! Plan to get to Port Jeff on the 17th..if you're headed there, hope to do a hihowaya!

Thanks,

Mike D

Body is a little short IMHO. I had good luck in OMB with a Red Fox Shadow cut 137x29 winged 4x4. A Fox Tail cur the same way would probably be good also.

The Banshee cut to Mikes dimensions 137-138/29 is right for PJ OM15. As is the Shadow and FoxTail. Usually the bodies are winged with .004 x.004 kits. In OM15 there is a Spec tire that is a little softer them what is usually used for regular 15's. So you can get away with a little less downforce or a slightly stiffer chassis. Airgap for 500 arms in 15's is usually .514 to .516. An airgap of .522 is too big. A 9/44 gear ratio will be fine. The standard spring for 15 is usually Camen regular 5 coils but any good quality spring of medium strength, Kofords, Cahoza's etc.,will work fine. OM15 is a great class, if you need help don't hesitate to ask around, everyone is helpful and very supportive of new racers especially in 15's which is probably the favorite class(s) of PJ/NEUSRA racers.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Thanks for the responses guys!

I think the banshee is actually closer to 139/30 give or take because of my shakey hands. When i built the body, thefinger put that size in my head for $100 wing car and it was built for that.

Not sure what to do about getting a smaller air gap. I have a .500 and smallest jerry has is .522. We'll see i guess.

Thank you again for the replies and looking forward to hearing more. Ill put up a pic of the body tonight.

Mike

see if you can borrow a hone from alan, he definitely has the correct sizes and that size Banshee will be fine, maybe a little stuck but ask Alan to free it up some at the track
    Last edited by hesketh; 01-07-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

This thread is exactly what I was looking for as I'm trying to get back into things.

Why the jump to .500 arms in I 15's? I've been looking for arms all over the net and finally realized they dont make em in 480's anymore.

How did the Camen setup work for you?I used to run only Joel's motors back in the day and it's hard to jump ship.

I'm also having trouble finding chassis's any info or pics of the PRI and ARP you ran?I'm not going to buy online but I'd like to at least have a look around beforehand.

I know this is a old post but I'd still like to hear how things went for you.

Thanks

Yes .500 has been standard for years, got popular when we were still running glue and the smaller diameter arms were blowing. Now that we run spray glue some people are starting to revisit smaller diameter arms. Camen setups are still popular. People still run old SMF, old Koford and new Koford, Camen and old GT1 setups. Magnets are predominately the Koford radial singles .500, .470 and .450 long. Lots of timing, 40* and up . Although 40* plus a few degrees in a cranked endbell is very popular. As for chassis the fastest and therefore most popular today is the Rosenberg 4 Rail or Competition Kinetics 4 Rail either with the aluminum motor brace. The ARP is still very fast but harder to find, PJ has a few. Other chassis are used also, like the Slick 7 and the various Kofords, but the 4 rails are the most popular. 72 pitch gears, 16* degree angle spur usually 10/44. Although in OM15 we restrict gearing to 9/43-44 or 8/38-39. Bodies predominately Redfox Foxtail, cut 135x30, with .004x.004 wing kit. Although some use the Viper, the Redfox Shadow and the Banshee. Premium on light weight, kitted bodies around 6.6 to 7 grams, 20 gauge leadwire, .solid axles though since they still haven't figured out how to make hollow ones strong enough.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Awesome stuff,all the info has really helped get me up to speed.
    The .480's hated glue but of all the people I knew I ran the least amount of it.
    I wish they had the one motor classes around before,when I was younger I could never afford enough set ups to hang in there.I had a few Tq's against some big names but always faded later on.

While I was digging around I notice Craig Landry passed away I dont know if it was him or if he just liked me but he always took the time to help me out in person or over the phone.

I see wing racing has taken a hit but the more I look it really seems like there is a healthy Int 15 group of guys running still.Hopefully some manufactures take note and bring out some new products for us

The 480's were always a little small for heavy glue but it got worse when blanks were redesigned to have a much narrower leg. This allowed for less wire while maintaining the legal number of turns. That lowered the resistance, but after reducing the leg width they had to go to bigger diameters to restore the mass to the stack and keep the arms from blowing. If you find your 15 setups post some pix and you can get some suggestions on how to or if you can modify them for racing today.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Thanks,that makes sense,I also didnt know they redesigned the stacks in such a way.