Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyres coning

Tyres coning

Flexi Chassis:
    So tyres always wear to a cone-shape due to the cornering pressures....
    My fastest laps always seem to be just before I run out of rubber, so they must still be working efficiently , maybe more so, when coned and suiting the car handling.

Why not start with the tyres this shape then?
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

Back in the dinosaur days (70's/80's), when orange rubber was the only way to go, my team and I always ground a small taper (smaller towards the outside) on our tires. We used a Unimat lathe with a Dremel mounted as a toolpost grinder, and offset the headstock to form the angle. The main reason was that the tires needed virtually no break-in.

Now that was different rubber, heavier cars (compared to today's high-end chassis) - but for a Flexi I'd bet the principle still holds.

I'll have a try with fresh coned rubber and see if they take less time to break in and they should last longer then too!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this a great question that needs to be tested I hope more people can respond I will definitely be testing this theory on my next trip to the track an get back. Hopefully someone else can enlighten the us

Tyres coning

Quote Originally Posted by swodem View Post
    and they should last longer then too!?
    I doubt tapered tires would last any longer, since you're actually removing a tiny bit of material. But the quick break-in saved wear & tear on our slot cars, and allowed us to change to unrun tires in the middle of a race without significant penalty.

You want your tires flat with slightly rounded tires.

LEE GILBERT's SPEEDSHOP TIRES

Has been playing w/this idea for the last couple years now !

I'd had the same thought about starting out with coned tires. I talked myself out of trying it for 2 reasons: (1) The smallest end of the tire would have to meet them minimum tire diameter rules, thus having to start with tires commensurately over-sized on the large end of the tire, and (2) I believe the tires would continue to cone even more during the race... I "think" they would reach a point where the handling would suffer as a result.
    Let me know if you want to know my real name... it's not "Tex". LOL

1. We don't have minimum diameter rules, just minimum chassis clearance.
    2. Yes may be but I considered that the front of the chassis arms would limit tipping and stabilise the coning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dear newbie,youll find the rules state rather clearly min tire diameter is 12.5 mm on any car that run to NZSCA rulings go check--glad your back
    1. its all been tried before
    2. if it worked ,it would be common practice.
    3. we know how to suck eggs

Pluckybroinso show me where this is in our rules? page and section.

NZSCA 2015 not out yet

My tyres run out at 14.5mm anyway

Dear swollen,
    your club website rules -- you are in Auckland are you not -page 15-----section 16 E- ii are you short on experience--perhars you should reconfigure your speel to I prefer to learn the hardway

Dearest Luckyfukka
    I think what you are trying to say, without saying it, is that you have tried it and it didn't work, which would have been the answer to the question I asked at the start. Then you would have saved me from turning down a set of tyres to try out....who do i sue for the $16.50 I may have wasted now.

You're right for 2014, but 2015 rules not out yet

Actually... he didn't actually say that HE had ever tried it... only that it had been tried (in his opinion?) before.

Since he apparently knows all about your rules, and has all the answers... I would have thought you two might know each other.
    But since he seems bent on anonymously baiting you while boasting of his superior knowledge... then one can only question the validity of his advice.

I think Gandalf might have missed a troll after that latest Hobbit movie.

So Luckydude... lets cut the insults & boasting, and try to stick to some positive and helpful & factual input here, okie dokie?

This is a hobby as well as a social activity, and we all need to play nice in the sandbox...
    or go find your own sandbox where you can play with yourself.

PK @ OWH
    Lord of the Sandbox
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear friend (s)
    Tappering the tires certainly helped cars through the turns on the old inline cars More so on the smaller scale .Runnig the tapper halfway accross the tire prevented them from spinning up on the tight curves.Allowing more drive on the outer tire .Things have changed-Tires were krap motors were heavy- tracks were dry as opposed to todays tracks.If tappering had an advantage in todays environment our ice bound european counterparts would surely be doiing it. They have 9 months of the year to test .I now know how Albert & Issac felt. 1st you have to learn the rules of the game-then you have to play it better than anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast