Thread: Question on mounting tire donuts???

Question on mounting tire donuts???

Question on mounting tire donuts???

OK I mount most of my own stuff, I have some bigger diameter wheels (.650 OD) and the ID of the donut is around .390. My question is should I open up the ID of the donut with a dremal or just cram it on the wheel as is. And what's the easiest method of opening up the ID? Thanks..

The blank hubs are .650" in diameter?

The largest hubs I have seen are about .500"

Depending on the make of donut, just cram them on, so to speak
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Ben Taxel, try some both ways, I think you'll find different results. stretching the rubber will make it harder and act differently than in a more natural state.

Not sure how you would make that center hole larger without making a mess of it.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Thanks for the replies. What I have tried so far to make the ID bigger is a drum sander in a Dremel tool. It works to a degree but doesn't always keep the center true to the OD, so if I need a bigger OD it may not grind completely round. Some of the hubs i'm using are .650-.700 for Drag Tires or H&R hubs and finished OD is around an inch. BT

I would suggest you buy some .500 hubs from Alpha Products or have your Track order them for you.
    Otherwise expect a lot of Blisters on your fingers.

I have 300 or more small hubs, the thing is I have projects that require big hubs. For example Protrack hubs are around .650 and H&R hubs bigger yet. I know in the past there have been huge hubs around such as Fastones Big Daddys, some Kelly hubs are .600 or more and I have those as well. BT

Take 1/2" - 5/8" copper pipe and sharpen one end, then use a softblow hammer and you will be able to punch the core fairly easy. A cutting mat underneath will keep the tool sharp. like mentioned earlier you can play with the different densities you will create with the different i.d. sizes if you want to get that detailed.
    Matt Sheldon

Using the above tool, but instead of the quick blow (remember you're going through an inch or so of depth and don't want it to distort on compression) try turning it slowly with medium downward pressure to slowly but accurately cut the core...maybe fit in a drill press on lowest speed to get super accurate alignment. Brass pipe will be stronger than copper. You'll need a hook or something to remove the core before doing the next from inside the tube. Let us know how it works out
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

Thanks for the tips, I actually found a leather punch set at a trade show. I took the size I needed, used a Dremel .009 thick cutoff wheel and cut about 10 short slices in the sharp end. It works like a saw blade and cores them great. I should Patent the damn thing...