Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the 4.5 body rules

Question about the 4.5 body rules

I like 4.5s and will be racing one at the Nats. I was trying to make sense of the body cut lines and the rules in the 2015 USRA rule book. I think that we need a clarification:

On page 54 it says:

"Front Bumper --- Minimum 1/8 inch (6.35 mm) ..."

"Rear Bumper --- Minimum 1/4 inch (3.18 mm) ..."

This looks fine except 6.35 mm = 1/4 inch and 3.18 mm = 1/8 inch. I think that the metric measurements are accurate (and the inch measurements reversed) based on the cut lines on my body AND my measurements of the rules further down regarding rear body valence.

Could one of the USRA officials please clarify this?

Thanks!

Greg

I just checked the 2014 USRA pdf. There it says:

"Front Bumper --- Minimum 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) ..."

"Rear Bumper --- Minimum 1/8 inch (3.18 mm) ..."

So I think that the 2015 rulebook is likely in error, though it's not at all clear to me how this error crept in, as I would have thought that the rules simply got copied over from 2014, since we didn't race 4.5s in 2014.

Greg

Greg, I went by the 2014 rule book the rule has always been 1/4 front bumper, and 1/8 rear bumper. The powers to be May have changed the rule will have to wait and see.
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

Greg,
    I'll have an answer for everyone running 4.5 stock by the end of today.
    Jon Madtes
    Penn/Jesery NASCAR Series
    Motors by Mic B
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Fast Tracks Raceway
    USRA D-2 Supporter

I just read 2015 rules and they look right to me front bumper 1/4 and rear bumper 1/8 same as 2014.but in the paper back book sent with membership card it is wrong . I first read on line version of 2015 and 2014 then printed version and the printed version is wrong.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

OK guys here it is. Since I may just try to run this class I thought I'd look into it. The 2015 printed rule book has the dimensions written in two different areas on page 60 under C "Dimensions and rules applying to 4 1/2" Stock Cars only.

2a) Front bumper---Minimum 1/8 inch (6.35mm) measured from the top of the bumper down.
    2b) Rear bumper---Minimum 1/4 inch (3.18mm) measured from the top of the bumper down.

4. Cars must have front and rear bumpers. Front bumper must be at least 1/4 inch (6.35mm) tall, measuring from top of bumper down. Rear bumper must be at least 1/8 inch (3.18mm) tall, measuring from top of bumper down.

These measurements are under the same category, on the same page, and are directly opposite. So which are correct??? Thank you.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Jon,

Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure that this is just a typo.

See you soon!

Greg

Hey that's great that it's only a typo but which one is the typo??? They are both in the most up to date printed addition of the 2015 rules. I would think that lines 2a and 2b would be more correct than line 4. Line 4 seems like a leftover from past rule books. There was a time when we had to run 1/4 bumpers front and rear. We need to know which is correct.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Freddie,

Of course. I just meant that this should be easy to resolve. I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to be 1/4" in the front, 1/8" in the back, like Steve Forsyth said in the first reply, but you are very correct that we'll need an official opinion.

Greg

I just got off the phone with Matt. We have decided to just stick to what is printed that way everyone is on the same page and we will be going thou the rule book and revisit the 4.5 stock car wording for 2016.

1/8 inch in the front and 1/8 inch the rear. Since there are conflicting measurements in the book. This should be easier for everyone.
    Jon Madtes
    Penn/Jesery NASCAR Series
    Motors by Mic B
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Fast Tracks Raceway
    USRA D-2 Supporter

Fine! This will protect racers who have already cut their front bumpers to 1/8", so I support this.

Thanks so much!

Greg

Wrong decision the rule should go back to 2014 and beyond. Now we will be racing slammed 4 1/2 Nascar. This has never been voted on why the sudden change.
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

Quote Originally Posted by madtes6i View Post
    I just got off the phone with Matt. We have decided to just stick to what is printed that way everyone is on the same page and we will be going thou the rule book and revisit the 4.5 stock car wording for 2016.

1/8 inch in the front and 1/8 inch the rear. Since there are conflicting measurements in the book. This should be easier for everyone.
    Jon you and Matt, should revisit this. With an 1/8 inch front bumper we will be cutting into the fender and hood. According to the rule book this is illegal.
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Forsyth Racing View Post
    Jon you and Matt, should revisit this. With an 1/8 inch front bumper we will be cutting into the fender and hood. According to the rule book this is illegal.
    1/8" minimum, so my guess is that it will still need to be closer to 1/4". You're right.....even with small fronts, there's not much room.
    that's a wrap!

Greg, Maybe a dumb question, but where is the cut line on the body you are looking at? My guess is that if there is a cut line its likely near the 1/4" mark on the front...

Just a thought...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast