Thread: OWH Turns 18 Today!

OWH Turns 18 Today!

HAPPY 18TH ANNIVERSARY
    OF OWH ONLINE!!!

Hard to believe that it was 18 years ago today that The Old Weird Herald was launched online...

Let's see... that means if OWH was a kid, then it would be old enough to vote or enlist in the Army and go to war.... but still a few years away from being able to drink alcohol legally.

It was on April 1, 1997 - (18 years ago today!) that I re-launched the Old Weird Herald as an online 'zine.

Originally started up in 1970 or 1971 as a photo copied racing newsletter for the Seattle area USRA racing scene, OWH was soon handed over to me for the publishing duties. OWH was around for a few years, but was mailed out all over the world, establishing a bit of a "cult" following.

In 1984 I decided to revive OWH, and 4 glossy profesionally printed issues came out. These made their ways to 5 slot car distrubutors, where 5,000 copies per issue were distributed to raceways for free. I rented a PO box, and a week later it was stuffed full of mail, with a note saying their was another bag full that wouldn't fit!

Then... it was in 1997, after playing around with building web pages, while at George Russell's FasTrax Raceway for the USRA Div 2 Nats, I dusted off the mothballs and put Old Weird Herald online. I could not believe the response as I got emails from slot car racers all over the world!

April 1st just seemed like the perfect date to kick it off - and it's still kicking!

And it was the following year in 1998 at R-GEO Raceway in Bulter, PA, with the help of "Owl Chump" (aka Al Chuck), that the "Almost Live" coverage of the USRA Nat's accidentally got started on OWH... and has continued every year since then!

Thanks to all my fellow slot car racing friends for being part of the Old Weird Herald online community!

I'm looking forward to many more years of sharing this hobby online with old and new friends!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Congrats to you, Paul!

So I missed the first 5 years - what a bummer.

Happy Birthday, Mom and congratultions for producing such a fine online magazine
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Happy Birthday from VA...

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    So I missed the first 5 years - what a bummer.

Happy Birthday, Mom and congratultions for producing such a fine online magazine
    I don't think you missed the first 5 years Zippity - I thought you were around from the start.

Mine says I joined in 2002 also!

That's when I switched over to the vBulletin forum - it was on another forum system before!

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Congratulations Paul,
    Here and there over the years I put my slotcars on the shelf and did other things.... but I always checked in here to see what was going on.

Congratulations, Paul!

Greg

Time Flies , thanks for all your hard work , Congrats.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    The best slot car website hands down no doubt, Congrats Paul on a great job!!!

Chicago,IL Just waiting to get back to the Beach!
    Congrats Paul and Happy Birthday OWH!

Bring back the Grundy.

Nice work!
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

Happy Birthday OWH

Thumbs up Congrats MOM!!!!!!!!!

Paul, Thank you for devoting your precious time though these years in keeping the Slot car racing family together. You are truly my hero.

Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]