Thread: S16C Arm resistance readings

S16C Arm resistance readings

How does the S16C compare to Grp12 and Grp15 arms as to the resistance across the poles?
    You can't polish a turd, but you can sprinkle some glitter on it!

a lot closer to a gp 20.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

I disagree it has about 50% more resistance then a group 12 and twice the resistance of a 20.

Its resistance is simular to a wasp or contender but the 16c is still hotter.

Stack length and weight are it's only drawback.

I have a 4 wire meter that measures down to .001

I figured it's performance would fall between a 15 and a 12.

It is close to a I15 but still slower than a i15.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

A S16C will be a step down from a X-12. A hair faster then a Super Wasp depending on what style track. Rule of thumb a Super Wasp would be preferred on a flat track and a S16C would be preferred on a banked track.
    KellyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z. View Post
    A S16C will be a step down from a X-12. A hair faster then a Super Wasp depending on what style track. Rule of thumb a Super Wasp would be preferred on a flat track and a S16C would be preferred on a banked track.
    Danny, just a question, as I have no first hand info, but isn't GTP typically won with s16c at D2 Nats?
    Alan Ingram

Not enough guys put effort onto swasps. Everyone seemed to focus on s16c.

By virtue of weight alone it would seem the edge goes to the S. Wasp not to mention it's quicker turn up. Do you really need all that weight bigger heavier arm in a heaver setup that needs full (.500) length magnets. I know some guys built S16C motors using .450 magnets and they did well. I built 2 S16C motors with SMQ magnets (to save weight) @ .556 for this years Nats. I tweaked my back Friday morning and didn't get to participate in the racing but I did get to try one motor out and I think it was slower than my Contenders. I plan on building 2 more setups using Mura or Koford .500 long magnets @ .560 but I still feel the excess weight is a disadvantage. What arms won GTP in this years Nats? You can't see the tags in the pictures.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

In my experience the S16C is faster then the SWasp. But I only tried them on banked tracks. Some of the flat track guys told me they liked the SWasp better on the flat track because it was smoother. Looks like flat track racers have been using the S16C with lots of sucees lately.

If I was to attend a nats and gtp is on a banked track I would only build S16Cs. Just my preference.
    KellyRacing

Thank You guys for all of your answers! The wind on a S16C looks like it should really make some power, but in practice it doesn't seem to be the case. The magnets lose alot of strength when you have to have a big hole in them for that arm.

S16c is more powerful
    swasp is just different

They are options. Try em both.

Don't forget to try big diameter and also try both .450 and .500 magnets