Thread: Hardbody class with FCR chassis question?

Hardbody class with FCR chassis question?

What model car maker makes the widest body? Or what type do you use? Revell,Monogram and AMT or other. The chassis is FCR. Thanks for any help.

No help! Thanks

Patience Tech-7. The 1/24 scale kits by Revell & Monogram will be wider than the 1/25 scale kits by AMT. Look for some of the older Revell & Monogram NASCAR kits. I don't believe these kits are made anymore, but some may still be left on store shelves. AMT's narrower 1/25 kits can be widened somewhat by heating the body sides with a hairdryer, but I don't know if they can be widened enough to fit an FCR. The local hard body club has a late model class using H&R & FCR chassis. Body width isn't an issue with the H&R like it is with the FCRs because of its width adjustability. It also has an adjustable wheelbase.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Thanks Bill from NH. Sorry! Thank you for that info.

Not sure who makes them but I bought a couple ASA style bodies off epay that are real wide with nice short overhangs. Look at the model section of Toys and Hobbies more specifically the Parts section. There's always just new bodies in there without interiors, etc for under 10 bucks shipped.

Do you intend to have the tires inside the fenders? or hog out the wheelwells dirt track style? With our mid-america hardbody classes, we do the latter and use a max tire width for all - and make the chassis fit the body and wheelbase - even if it makes a shorter chassis. We also stretch womps to fit 1/24 bodies. Sometimes you need to cut the sides off of the FCR and bring the velcro mounts inboard to fit the narrow bodies - like on my '53 Studebaker coupe.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

What glue do you use on hoods and bumpers and such?

It is a FCR chassis and we can add mounts. I just hog out fenders it's legal. Thanks for all the help.

I just use the same Testors stuff in a tube that's been around forever. I know the new CA glues are excellent too. The only thing with those is the parts need to be very close together, with the Testors stuff you can fill gaps which will be good after a couple races...

What is the new CA glues? CA the product name? And thanks for that info.

It's a thin instant glue found at most any hobby shop.. here's a link for plenty of info http://www.caglue.com/

You can reinforce most glued joints by adding either thin strips of styrene or pieces of ladies' pantyhose across the inside of underside of the joint.

For glue, I like Devcon Plastic Welder.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Tack the parts together with Super glue or styrene cement. Reinforce and fill with Ace Hardware 'plastic epoxy' (lighter than regular epoxy) . Add reinforcing strips where needed or at the door sills to make the velcro mounts vertical to fit the angles of the frame. I usually puddle the bumpers on so they STAY ON. The whole car ends up in the 180 - 200 gram range......Hawk 7/Proslot FK motors and 1"+ Protrack wheels.......

We run separate classes for Trans/Am , Muscle cars(GTO/chevelle/442), Late model and early model nascar1950-1970. Thinking of trying some corvette and cobras/early sports racers maybe with retro sprung frames.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 06-05-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center