Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert ho controller to euro

Convert ho controller to euro

I have a JG a Mullen and DeFalco ho controllers. All very nice products. I want to try my hand at Eurosport. I would love to have one of my ho controllers converted to use with the euro cars. I understand that I might need up to18 feet of choke. I really don't want to spend another $400.00 or so. Any suggestions?

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Perhaps the first person you should contact is Jim Difalco and seek his opinion. www.difalcoonline.com

I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this dilemma. You may be right.....talk to the person who builds them.

Power and heat

Since a typical Eurosport pull something like 100-times more current that the average H0-car your main problem will not be the choke, which can be any length of wire you want.
    The real problem will be the power that will be demanded from the controller, both in term of current and in terms of heat that will have to be dissipated.
    I think that you should ask Jim, who is very capable. He might have a solution for converting you controller.

Steen

I'm moving this thread from the classified ads to the Tech Tips Controller Talk forum...
    since it doesn't sound like you are looking to sell or buy a controller - you are looking for info on how to convert.

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This idea may not be the best idea. But since you are wanting a choke added to a controller that needs modification it may be more cost effective to get a used eurosport ready controller with a built-in choke.

Used 3rd Eye FET2
    Used DR Chokemaster
    Used Carsteen CS2
    Used Speedshop (these most likely will be very old)

Or get a Difalco upgrade module (30 band) and then add one or two Koford (or other brand) external chokes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Pacific Coast Hobbies
    PCH Parts Express
    www.e-slotcar.com
    800 258-7441 (inside the USA)
    805 988-8044 (outside the USA)
    We take most credit cards, debits cards, gift cards and PayPal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for the responses. My original thought was to see if anyone had actually played around with their e controller. I'm going to try and get away with an old Defalco with about a mile of choke. Tech question: I have one of the old Koford round chokes with the rotary dial. If I need say 6 more feet of choke, do I just add 6 feet of 16 gauge wire

I would sell your controllers and buy a 3rd Eye or Carsteen

Change the controller wire (if not thick enough) and install a 30 band board.

Why?

I must admit that I don't understand the suggestion in post 9. The OP is asking if he might need 18 or more feet of choke - a lot of resistance.
    And then post #9 are suggesting to change the controller wire to something thicker.
    If THAT is a problem it will be one of the smallest. Making sure that the transistor will survive should be on the top of the list.

Steen

The OP was that he wanted to change his current controller from HO use to Eurosport. I am assuming the PCBs on the Difalcos are not the same between HO and what could handle an Eurosport motor, number of bands, resistance, brake pot, sensitivity pot etc. Then the addition of a choke.

Knowing WHAT you have IS a good place to start. As I recall, the Mullen is very HO orientated and changing the Difalco makes more sense. JG made two versions. Both are a bit light duty for cobalt Euro motors. The newer JG 200 is surface mount soldered tech and much harder to modify than the older JG 100. Both are good for ceramic motor cars.
    THEN: ?? which Difalco:
    10 or 15 band or newer/older ? Usually the Difalco HO brake pot is a higher value than wanted for the euro. The transistor may be the same (20 -40 amp for Euro; much less required for HO), but the resistor network for HO is much higher resistence total than works for euro (200+ instead of 150-) Chokes can be an add on unit - it is what I use (3 - 27 ft). It is 18 ga magnet wire with 3 toroid coils. Many HO controllers have an extra circuit ( not needed for scale racing) - 'coast'.....while Euro uses the 'choke' to tame track and motor power.
    The ten band is a lot like the newer 30 band unit in that the resistor 'network strips' are 'plug and play' . The 15 band are soldered in, but also very changable. Call Jim at Difalco for a quote.

Chokes are in the white (power input) side and coast is in the red (brake side) of a controller.

I am not intimate with the Koford choke, But it is likely intended for wingcars. It should be good to start, but is it labeled in (feet of choke) or reference #'s. My first choke has leadwire wadded up in a project box...and it has gotten distorted from heat.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 06-04-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

I have an older Defalco (10 band I think). That might be the logical controller to modify. The reason I asked about converting an ho controller is because I just happen to have 3. Is 1 foot of choke equivalent to 1 foot of 16 gauge wire? Is it 18 gauge?

My chokes use both 18 and 16 gauge wire depending on the type of car being run.

John Andersen

Save yourself a bunch of hassle and buy this.

http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...nis-wire-choke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast