Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rulebook

Rulebook

I wanna start off by saying Shontel Howard​ & Dallas Slot Cars​ have put on a great show so far hosting the 2016 Nats, Can't wait till get there on Tuesday

Anyhow, its very clear that the USRA in the last year have been enforcing rules to the fullest, which i support 1000%, Rules are Rules, if its in the book, we all need to follow it. This is my issue right now. The most important rule in the book has been overlooked as far as i can remember, that is hosting a national event. As far as i read in the past you must have successful races/events in order to bid for the Nationals. This Rule is most important because you're dealing with everyones money that is attending the event. My Understanding is Frank Sarkela​ of Rohnert Park Raceway and Michael Iles​ of Speezone NJ are the only 2 Raceways that Should be eligible to host the 2016 Div 1 Nats. We looked over this rule back in 2006 Chicago Nats and it was quite the disaster, Both Mike and Roger have fully redeemed themselves by hosting incredible events past that, I mean no disrespect to either of them but facts are facts. Now im not saying this will Happen if the Event goes to Atlanta, But The Rules are the Rules and we should not gamble with Members of the USRA. There should be no question that the only raceways up for the bid Should Be Speedzone NJ & Ronhert Park, Both these raceways have held National and Big Events Successful, its not fair to these two owners who put tons of time into their events to make them what they have become, Both Mike and Frank are well known in the Community as well and one of them Deserves it. Rules are Rules, If we follow one, we must follow all.

Thanks
    Chubby

IMO, all three bidding raceways have held well attended events in the past and all three have a reputation for organizing and directing well run races.

All three have hosted Scale, Wing and Retro events. Speedzone PTC has been more than happy to host wing races at their raceway with a monthly program and while wing racing has been pretty dead in the south, it's making a comeback at Speedzone PTC as the wing car racers of yesterday are coming back to racing in the south ( and a few attending the 2015 Nats ) and the Speedzone PTC facility and track is making this happen.

While Speedzone PTC may be the "new kid on the block" the owner has spent much money and time in building this new raceway from the ground up as Rich bought the land and built the building that Speedzone PTC resides in today.

Speedzone PTC hosted the RETRO Cozine Classic race in Jan of 2015. Every single concern we had prior to that event was addressed by the PTC staff and owner. He had a well attended event with racers from several states attending the event and we will be hosting the 2nd annual Cozine Classic at PTC in Jan of 2016.

This past weekend PTC hosted the Outlaw Southern Series and drew over 100 entries and again traveling in from several states to make this race a very well attended and organized event.

In regard to "investment" of time put into events at Speedzone PTC, Rich and staff has put as much as they possibly can in the past. Along with the building investment Rich has made, Gary Gerding was recently at Speedzone PTC and completely rebuilt the track along with updating the power to the tune of several thousand of dollars. Rich did not have to do this, but Rich did spend this money prior to knowing if PTC would be awarded the 2016 Wing Nats. Rich invested more money not knowing if PTC will get the 2016 Nats or not.

The reports is the track is faster than ever was and raced real good at this past weekend's Outlaw Series race. PTC Wing Car racers are reporting the track is in great shape.

Kerry Champion, Tommy Flythe and Joe Redmond are also well know Wing car racers and they race at PTC and have been working with Rich on improving the track, raceway and his bid for the Wing Nats. Joe Redmond is a past USRA Nats host and Rich has a full understanding of what it takes to host such an event and Joe will be working with Rich in the future and also if PTC is awarded the 2016 Wing Car Nats.

I believe the USRA is following their rules on sites for the 2016 USRA Wing Car Nats when it comes to raceway selection. All three have hosted well attended events. The rulebook does not specify the type of well attended events nor the number of past well attended events. If that was the case, the Rohnert Park could be the only selection due to the greater number of well attended events in the past. It's not a "seniority list".

I know that if any of the three raceways are awarded the 2016 Wing Nats, racers can rest assured that any of the three will put on a good show, run a well organized event and have a good time at any of the three locations. I have raced at two of these raceways and those two meet the bill. I have not raced at Speedzone NJ, but am well aware of their reputation for putting on good races in the past.

USRA Members at the Nats will be voting for where the 2016 Wing Car Nats will be held next year. It will be each racers decision as to where they feel they want to go next year.
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

The last post was an excellent pitch for Speedzone PTC. For equal air time, I will simply say that Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, California, is the only bidder to have hosted MONTHLY USRA racing and THREE Scale Nationals.

First, the monthly Norcal USRA Series. Held every third Saturday for two consecutive years now. Doors open at 10:00am, racing starts at Noon. Racing order is Box 12, GTP, G27 Lite and 1/24 Eurosport. Our next race is this Saturday. Believe it or not, I have been racing G27L for a year now and it's really growing on me! We have a great group of regulars every month.

The next point is in regards to Frank's three Scale Nationals. These were in 2006, 2008 and 2012. I can remember only very positive comments on these races, and for the venue being located in Northern California near many other attractions.

The other two Speedzones bidding for the 2016 Nats are undoubtedly great raceways, however I don't think either can put monthly USRA Box 12 and G27L on their resumes. Something to think about.

Chubby, really good idea to start this thread, you made an excellent point by doing so. Good luck at the races this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fxgeorge View Post
    The last post was an excellent pitch for Speedzone PTC. For equal air time, I will simply say that Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, California, is the only bidder to have hosted MONTHLY USRA racing and THREE Scale Nationals.

First, the monthly Norcal USRA Series. Held every third Saturday for two consecutive years now. Doors open at 10:00am, racing starts at Noon. Racing order is Box 12, GTP, G27 Lite and 1/24 Eurosport. Our next race is this Saturday. Believe it or not, I have been racing G27L for a year now and it's really growing on me! We have a great group of regulars every month.

The next point is in regards to Frank's three Scale Nationals. These were in 2006, 2008 and 2012. I can remember only very positive comments on these races, and for the venue being located in Northern California near many other attractions.

The other two Speedzones bidding for the 2016 Nats are undoubtedly great raceways, however I don't think either can put monthly USRA Box 12 and G27L on their resumes. Something to think about.

Chubby, really good idea to start this thread, you made an excellent point by doing so. Good luck at the races this year.

Thanks George

if that nats goes to frank or mike, im more than happy due to the experience and success both of them have had. There is some questions i might add, how long has the track in atlanta been open for? who is the owner? The power is still and issue and that is a fact. From what i understand, i spoke to someone last week saying that the batteries keep blowing up as well, they called PJ and asked what we do for our power to try to help their issue, and we were more than happy to tell them, but this is the biggest race of the year for us. Anyhow i hope this gets fixed before the nats this year is over

What a great problem to have! 3 first class facilities all bidding for their 1st D1 Nats. There is no question that Mike or Frank will do an excellent job as both have hosted very successful D2 Nats. The Atlanta facility is top notch and while relatively new they would probably do a good job.

Atlanta would be the closest to be able to visit, but if I had a vote, I'd probably vote for Frank. He does a great job and has a long time vested interest in D1 racing.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyG7 View Post
    Thanks George

There is some questions i might add, how long has the track in atlanta been open for? who is the owner? The power is still and issue and that is a fact. From what i understand, i spoke to someone last week saying that the batteries keep blowing up as well, they called PJ and asked what we do for our power to try to help their issue, and we were more than happy to tell them, but this is the biggest race of the year for us. Anyhow i hope this gets fixed before the nats this year is over
    PTC has been open for two years or so. Rich Van Hof is the owner.

It's funny, since the track was rewired two weeks ago, there has been no batteries under the track. Power supplies and Caps now power the track. Not sure how batteries can be blowing up since there have been none in the past two weeks.

PTC has been hosting monthly Wing car races since last September, average participation is 14 to 16 racers per monthly event.

Again, any of the three bidding raceways will do a fine job of hosting the 2016 Wing Nats.
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

I have been racing there for over a year now. As Ron stated,wing racing was pretty dead until we got it going again last August. We now have 12-16 box stocks,6-8 one motor boxstocks(just started them 2 months ago) and 12-16 27 lite cars every second saturday.We run 2mo if time permits and have 6-8 racers. The facility is second to none with plenty of AC,pit space,parking etc.... The track is in amazing condition to be G3 and it is fast. Gary just rebraided and rewired the whole track along with cross sanding the turns. No battery has ever blew uP there or nothing of a sort,not sure where thast came from...
    They have had 2 or 3 major scale events and they were all a big success. We are working on having a Hotlanta wing car event as soon as we can find a time to work it in with all the other events around the country without stepping on anybodys toes.Again, the track is fast and the power is good and I hope they get to host the 2016 wing nats. KC

Raced in Atlanta in July, ran 27L and box 12. Track was great - facility great, organisation was tight. There is a lot of experience in running Nats in Atlanta. I am very surprised at all the negative comments. Not once did I see smoke coming from the batteries. I think wing Nats in Atlanta would be great a promotion for wing racing in the U.S.A.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Has there even been a wing race on the NJ King track since making it to NJ?

I raced on that track before it went to NJ. If anyone wants to know what it was like, please PM me or ask any Mid-Atlantic racer. We raced on it perhaps every other month for a couple of years.

I've spoken with some of the folks that have run on the Atlanta track recently (since Gerding was there) and all I'm hearing is good things. Wings cars are racing on it on a regular basis.

Franks, of course, is a no brainier as it's established and well known.

One thing is for certain, no matter what track gets the Nats in 2016, it's going to be more of a "Drivers" Nats than we've had in a long time. That's a good thing in my opinion.

Good luck to all the raceways bidding.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

it was great having you here to visit and race with us Lindsay! glad you enjoyed here when you raced with us. its even better now then when you were here back in june,if you can imagine that….lol and Roman, thanks for all the wiring tips you conversed with Gary on and texting me and all the phone calls. look forward to seeing you down here at one of our monthly races soon!!! KC

All I have to Chubby is WOW! I really expected much more out of you than this. This is a very sad day in Slotcar racing.

The last scale race at SpeedZone PTC, the power was great. The facility is huge and the town is beautiful.
    KellyRacing

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would say that testimonials from scale racers on the adequacy of power isn't sufficient. Until you have had a Pro Open race with full fields and consis, semis and mains you really haven't tested your power. I have a feeling that all the tracks competing might find themselves a little behind the curve when it comes to power. Whoever wins do yourself a favor and have an early Warm Up race so you have time to correct inadequacies in your power setup.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Although a low power, hard to drive track might just be what the doctor ordered, as suggested by Roman. One of the best attended Nats in the modern era was the one at the Track that Roman and the MidAtlantic crew hosted in 2003. That was a driver track and not a speed bowl, and we haven't had as big a turnout since.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

If Speedzone NJ gets it there will be plenty of power on the track, and plenty of backup power if there's a problem you can be assured of that.

Mike doesn't play games when it comes to big races, he does it right every time no matter what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast