Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: motor breaking in???

Exclamation MUST BE A PARMA....

I have had a PARMA set of brushes wear OUT in 45 seconds in water. If you like the Parma. They will break in in as little as 10-15 seconds at a very low speed setting. The GOLD DUST brushes usually take 30-45 seconds. Dry and ALWAYS check for full contact.

PHIL I.

Dumb question time

To run-in a new motor, do you solder a couple of lengths of wire to the endbell, attach them to your power supply, then immerse the motor completely in water before turning the power supply on to 4 volts?

I can't quite get the "picture" in my head
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Thumbs up Hey Zipp

When I do it I just use the alligator clips & dunk them first cause they will throw water. At 3-4 V it won't hurt anything or short anything out. If you are doing PARMA brushes. Run it 10 seconds ONLY and check. If you don't get full contact, another 5 seconds. I used up my first sealed parma brushes in 45 seconds in water. Gold dust & big foot will take 45-90 seconds to get full contact. Always preradious the brushes in a lined up endbell first to center the brushes on the comm. Dry & clean the comm & slots with an electric motor cleaner, oil the bushings & GO....

OL'FRTS RACING TEAM
    PHIL I.
    Last edited by Phil I.; 09-19-2008 at 08:17 PM.

"Grape Land"....... No..... Not Napa, Ca.
    The BEST water/naptha break-in containers to date that I have found.

No more MESS forever!!! The best $4.79 I have ever spent. I bought two of them .......

They are the perfect size and when done, just screw the cap back on. I bought 'um at my neighbor hood LONGS drugstore which is now called CVC
    THE VITTER.....UNTIL NEXT TIME.....THAT'S ALL FOLKS

Hi Dave!!

Welcome back to OWH, its great to see you!

Oh, nice find by the way. I do get tired of taking the occasional dirty water shower. Before anyone asks, yes those are plastic, not glass.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Hi Monty,

Thank you for the welcome my friend! I will contribute anyway I can to OWH!

Those bottles you show are made of plastic and probably should not contain naptha. mayonaise jars or large picle bottles would be a better choice. Perhaps you can find different use forthose jugs. Gus
    Last edited by Monty@B.O.W.; 03-02-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: pruned to relavent content

Gus,

Naptha is a good degreaser, but is not harmful to most plastics. You can buy naptha, as lighter fluid, in plastic squeeze bottles. The nice thing about Dave's bottles is that its hard to splash the contents.

Thumbs up

Beats the heck out of holding your hand over a glass to keep the water from going everywhere

BEENTHEREDONETHAT.....
    PHIL I.

Thank you Monty & Phil

Yes, I was also tired of the hand over the Glass/Jar and give your workbench a bath! these little bottles are amde from THICK PETG, I have had one filled with naptha now for over a week now and there has been NO discoloration to the plastic, nor has it become THIN or SOFT. They work GREAT!!
    Last edited by Monty@B.O.W.; 03-02-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: ditto....

Hey guys,
    What voltage are you using to make such a mess? I did one the other night in a plastic cup @5volts and it didnt splash bad at all. However, it was a 16-D maybe that makes a difference?

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Hi Vic,
    I'm breaking in 12's and Contenders @ 4 volts and they kick up a little bit more of a water then a 16D, Hence the baths. Again Vic and others I'm very sorry about the past few posts.
    Last edited by Monty@B.O.W.; 03-02-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: just the nice stuff

1 - please stick to the topic.

2 - for the other private stuff, please take it to private message or private email.

3 - the PM system has an ignore feature, and a delete button.

4 - kinda hard for me to delete posts, when half the post is on topic, & the other half is sandbox squabbles.... but I have an edit button, and I'm not afraid to use it.

5 - perhaps I didn't delete them yet, because I read elsewhere that Gary G has been getting bored lately ( and also cuz it's Monty's forum...)

6 - hey, we're all a bunch of overgrown kids who still play with toy cars... in the words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

BTW - Nice jugs, vitter!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-02-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry Mom!! This is a bit embarrassing....

I actually dare to go to my shop and get some useful work done, and the children start messing up the playground. Hey, I gots buttons too!!

Gus, Vitter has a phone and its obvious you let something get out of hand that should have been settled some time ago, or at the very least NOT IN MY FORUM! You guys are so close to each other you probably COULD stretch a string between two cans.

Dave, I know you don't back off an arguement easily, but play by the rules here and you'll find the moderators are actually pretty even handed, anywhere in these forums. You don't need to escalate 'cuz blindsiding WILL be dealt with.

Take a deep breath, and again welcome back to the best Slotracing BB going!

...... Again Paul & Monty and others

I'm sorry for getting off topic here, then again I'm not. As you very well know Monty it takes TWO. To the loyal readers of OWH I will try my hardest to play by the rules! But sometimes.....

Dave
    Last edited by The Vitter; 03-03-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast