Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Wing Nats at something other then a Gerding speedbowl.

Wing Nats at something other then a Gerding speedbowl.

First off I'm not anti-speedbowl or anti -Gerding tracks, in fact I do most of my racing at Port Jeff, most likely the fastest track in the world outside of Pilsen. However, we all are aware of the relentless evolution of wing car racing down a ever narrower line of development. Much of this development has come through the development of faster tracks by Gary , these have allowed for shorter cars less downforce, harder tires, more horespower, etc, etc. etc. At the same time we continue to drive more and more people of out wing car racing because of the intensity and cost. Pro Open this year was missing a lot of traditional names that normally I would have expected to see racing. I wonder whether as we get older opens become more and more problematic. I know I stopped racing them last year for that reason.

I think we need something to break this evolutionary path, people always wonder why we only have Nats at these types of tracks. It's because the rules allow only Nats attendees to vote on a Nats and the only Nats attendees are those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. One very easy way to break this pattern is to vote on a ByLaw change ( which require a vote of all members not just those at the Nats) which would require alternating tracks for a Nats between Gerding Kings and all other types of tracks (including non-Gerding Kings). This would allow other tracks to compete for a Nats, in alternating years, which normally wouldn't have a chance like Frank Sarkela, Speedzone's Engleman, Lucky Bob's Hillclimb, whatever. Also it would change the design emphasis away from speedbowl cars to driver cars. Fast guys will still be fast but more racers will believe they have a chance to compete. After all the biggest turnout we had in the modern era was at the Track in 2003 on their quirky driver track. I'm throwing this out to get some reaction, discussion and ideas.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Just to add one byproduct of this is that it would increase the available chassis and body options for driver wing car racing. You can't run a 4.10 superstiff Beuf on anything other then a Gerding so if you are trying to get wing car racing going at a non-Gerding track you are stuck trying to track down old out of production equipment.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Paul,
    I agree with your idea,100%.

During the Nat's, with thoughts that Frank might get the 2016 Nat's, I was actually pondering how I could work in a Nor-Cal vacation with some wing racing, next year.

I will add that Mimi and Roman had a big turnout, despite a bump/quirk/whatever it was, in the deadman, not because of it.

Also, if I race G7 again, it will be in Pro.(wink, wink)
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Mike,
    I bet you running pro again would get Beuf working even harder. (wink, wink!)
    JUST SHUT UP AND RACE!!!!

With all of the specs and controls the USRA has on the race cars it really surprises me that they have no track specs with regards to radius diameters, bank angles, and straight section lengths.

Food for thought, can you image a NHRA track running down hill at 15 degrees.

Bob K.

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Mike,
    I bet you running pro again would get Beuf working even harder. (wink, wink!)
    If I raced again, I would sooner accept my beating from Beuf before I raced Semi-pro like I saw someone did this past weekend.

I think his name rhymes with Sandy Cassermam. lol

Bernie was asking me on Sunday how laps did we used to
    run on the Purple Mile.

I said I ran the "record" at the Nat's with 500 even.

He then asked " How many do you think they would run now"?

I deadpanned back "Probably about 450". Double lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kurkowski View Post
    With all of the specs and controls the USRA has on the race cars it really surprises me that they have no track specs with regards to radius diameters, bank angles, and straight section lengths.

Food for thought, can you image a NHRA track running down hill at 15 degrees.

Bob K.
    When the first Ogilvie tracks starting appearing with short straights and big radius turns, I suggested we don't recognize them for records.

Guys acted like I was speaking Martian. Lol
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

I think that something along these lines could reenergize wing car racing, certainly not back to the hey days but at least breath a little life back into it. And after some intial bitching and moaning even the cureent crop of harcore wing racers would respond to the challenge with quite a bit of enthusiasm. Plus it would only be every other year, so its not like the world was ending.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Noble idea, Paul, but the wingers are already on FB, trying to whip Tracy into a World Record frenzy, with the upcoming G21.

Teflon guide slot inserts? ROTFLMAO.

Is the new wing group Pro-fast or Pro-sensible?

Maybe you can gain some traction with them.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Dear person whose name rhymes with Bike Priss:

Stop being obsessed with trying to criticize and demean other people's achievements. Why don't you take some of your hard earned inheritance and man up. Jump back in to full pro racing and put your money where your mouth is. I know under that mess somewhere is a human being.

'nuff said.
    Last edited by AndyWasserman; 08-21-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: update

Mike, I've heard that G3 in Atlanta isn't a speedbowl so it might serve as a test for the idea. I couldn't get a ByLaw change processed until next year in any event. If no one gives a $hit then thats that. But if there was enough interest at least there is a method available to get it to a vote.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Andy,
    I saw your original reply.

"Cancer and herpes"? How weird.

And your new reply is equally " non-explanatory".

If you think I'm the only one who questioned you running Semi-pro, you are confused.

I saw one on FB, immediately after you won.

If you were 75, with half your eyesight, I'd say " maybe".

If you had been some sort of ham n' egger
    Pro, I'd say a faint "maybe".

But I remember standing on a whole bunch of podiums with you and fully remember how excellent of a slot racer you are.

And when I see you ran at Port Jeff last year, and saw you finished 5th, the day before in OMO, to arguably, the top 4 active wing racers in the World, you racing Semi-pro was absolutely wrong.

You deprived a "real" Semi-pro the excitement of winning a Nat's.

Paul,
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but when you mentioned the Pro turnout in your first post, I couldn't help but to think of someone who entered the wrong class.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

No problem, seems the original topic is drawing a resounding yawn anyway, so you and Andy are at least spicing up the thread, lol.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Paul,
    You should take your case to FB.

That seems to be where the wingers hang out.

As far as G3 goes, by the Retro lap totals I've seen recently, I doubt it's much of a driver's track.

In Retro terms, on a 330 + lap King, cars get broken in a normal accident.

The same accident on a 300 lap track, like mine, you put the car back on and keep going.

While I can probably afford to tear up some wing car stuff up, I won't do it on principle.

My scenario on coming back to race wings was if I ran into a wreck, the marshal would put me back on and I would keep going, be it 24, 32 or 40 minutes.

I thought race speeds on Frank's track might be low enough to accomplish that.

I'm not traveling across the country to run 11 laps, like I saw this past weekend.

I would sooner drive around the country aimlessly, with my wife, pointing out the car window, going " Hey, look at that".

There is technology out there to protect the cars in half the crashes.

On any track, all you have to do is get a router with a flush trim bit, cut off the wall above the track surface, and install 1/8" thick Lexan.

Instead of trying to talk Tracy into something like that, to protect their cars, the guys are trying to talk him into something to make their already insanely fast cars, more insanely fast, to make it more impossible to avoid crashes, and to more thoroughly tear them up, in normal crashes.
    Last edited by swiss; 08-21-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    In regards to 2003 Nats at The TRACK in Gaithersburg, Md. It was successful IMO because we managed to engage many of the disenfranchised racers who wanted to do something other than race on dragstrips with turns.

As far as "Quirky" or "bumpy" or whatever else, funny how I've only heard that from those crybabies that were unable to figure out car setup, were marshaling the Main and certainly never saw a podium no matter how great they thought they were. ;-)
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?