Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Wing Nats at something other then a Gerding speedbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by hesketh View Post
    In addition to that .500 price break point, other issues are drilled, waffled and milled versus solid and magnesium versus aluminum. A .500 solid aluminum hub would be the cheapest. If the USRA specifed this hub ( or another similar version) as the approved hub then Sonic and Koford could do large runs of the hubs for all producers and gain economies of scale. Rubber could be proprietary between manufacturers but the hub would be standard and as cheap as possible.
    There is not a huge difference between aluminum and Mag. it is only about $0.20 a pair. So not restricting makes it easier at tech. a hand out tire would solve the problem in all classes but G7. even OMO should be a handout tire. All classes use the same tire.

My vision is. this

All Ceramic cars use the same chassis list. all .500 max handout tire. all spray glue unless host raceway has a slower track and picks it as a glue race.
    All Cobalt cars use the same chassis list .500 max handout tire. all spray glue unless host raceway has a slower track and picks it as a glue race Except G7.

All classes single mag except G7.

But what do I know.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

In regard to tires, .500 hub tires can work very well. We ran a .500 Hub Koford WX+ Spec tire in G12 ( $12.00 retail) @ Reggie's in June. TQ was in the 2.3's in 95 degree temps, high humidity ( no AC) . Qualifying was on RACE power as well. They held up very well. If you had no crash damage could easily do the whole race on one set.

Bernie Schatz

The difference in magnesium versus aluminum isn't in the material cost it's in the processing cost, because of the characteristics of magnesium the clean up and disposal costs after machining are higher then aluminum. At least that is what I have heard, which makes sense given that magnesium is extremely flamable in powder form. But then I'm not a machinist.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cambo3 View Post

2) Put a limit on the number of pairs that can be used in a race (race= consi, or semi, or main
    This is exactly what the governing body in F1 did some years ago, and in the exact situation: A few teams with loads of sponsorship money had piles of tires at their disposal as well as other money generated advantages (wind tunnels, test tracks). In short, the same few teams won year after year and within each race, the same drivers won and got pole...sound familiar?

Viewership and interest was down, and teams were dropping out or getting edged out due to an inability to compete, which of course lead to a lack of faith from sponsors, which leads to team death. A plan was devised to breathe life back into the thing and allow teams with fewer resources to be competitive and it worked.

Immediately thereafter, you saw what were once mid level teams up front and on pole and the perennial back markers even making an impression suddenly.

What happened? More people watched, new faces started to populate the podium, and a whole new era was born. It was a great idea that was of course shunned by the big guys, but in the long run, saved their a$$es.

The biggest benefit seemed to be that there was so much more competition so quickly that you had to win on the track as well as at the bank. Lets face it, Schumacher didn't win 7 championships driving a Minardi.

I think Paul's original idea (remember that?) is a good one. It would keep things interesting and keep racers sharp and flexible. It would also allow lower tier racers to feel a bit more equal. I also think that it'll never happen in a million years as long as the fast tracks exist.

Look at the bright side: Having a Nats at Elmsford for instance would create a BOOM in attendance at the next one on a Gerding. You'd be like people who escaped from a desert island.
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

Quote Originally Posted by hesketh View Post
    The difference in magnesium versus aluminum isn't in the material cost it's in the processing cost, because of the characteristics of magnesium the clean up and disposal costs after machining are higher then aluminum. At least that is what I have heard, which makes sense given that magnesium is extremely flamable in powder form. But then I'm not a machinist.
    I am telling you from Sonic the cost differnece is about .20 a pair. I know the clean up is more but the cost is not much.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

This....

http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...rs-is-FOR-SALE

I'm not saying that this is at all related to this conversation, but it seemed like it needed to be in here somewhere.....
    that's a wrap!

Quote Originally Posted by weedracer View Post

Look at the bright side: Having a Nats at Elmsford for instance would create a BOOM in attendance at the next one on a Gerding. You'd be like people who escaped from a desert island.
    Those are two words I never thought I would see in the same sentence. I would go to that race, I wouldn't race but the entertainment value would be worth the cover charge and there would be a cover charge.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

A big wing race at Elmsford would be very interesting. For those of you that have not yet seen (or raced on) the largest track at Elmsford Raceway in Elmsford NY, it is a very large track with flat corners and a huge bank.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Pacific Coast Hobbies
    PCH Parts Express
    www.e-slotcar.com
    800 258-7441 (inside the USA)
    805 988-8044 (outside the USA)
    We take most credit cards, debits cards, gift cards and PayPal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's not all it has. Lol

It would be a wild scene for sure.

It would bring the best and worst out of everyone and I really think that the next year's Nats would be VERY well attended.
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

Charlie, who was that kid

The one who used to call Lou the "Evil Mr Dill"
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

Quote Originally Posted by Bent rim View Post
    The one who used to call Lou the "Evil Mr Dill"
    He went by "DevilPain" here on Slot Car Talk... and I can't seem to remember his real name.

Remember we had that "I spotted Devil Pain" contest when he was posting on his way to PJ for the 2001 Nats?

Now I can't remember the name of the guy who won it... worked your counter & posted here a lot.

I think Devil Pain posted here a few years ago, then disappeared again.

Probably an IT wiz or stockbroker by now...

BTW - the 1984 Worlds was at Elmsford on the Nuvalari.
    Didn't youz guyz have a NE USRA type race there a couple years back?
    Elmsford is in their 50th year this year... I'll bet a lot of people have memories of racing there.

No matter what classes of racing are raced once a year at the Nats...
    There's still got to be some sort of entry level racing on a weekly basis at local raceways.
    Or some day it won't even matter.

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh No Mr Dill

The best stories come from that place. Like I said, I would go to watch. Devilpain we would have to get him and Jeremy Kranes to go again. Somebody talk Lou into bidding for it.
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

devilpain was/is Joseph Douglas

(From my "Aliases.xls" spreadsheet created 11 Feb 2001)
    Last edited by Zippity; 08-29-2015 at 04:03 PM.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

hey folks, i just posted info under race announcements major events for the 2016 USRA wing NATS. But wile Im on this thread I just wanted to share some info on the speed zone ptc g3 NATS track. The track is fast and smooth,BUT it is not a punch bowl. In the past few years if you have been just showing up at the NATS with no prior warm up race under your belt, you might want to re-think that this year.
    if you have your car perfect you might be able to punch orange and blue,but outside of that you will have to do the blip…… especially on red,white,purple and black. the track has 1- 90 amp power supply and cap on every lane. the power is crisp and steady at 14.2 volts per lane, so bring your choke for opens!! I have tested opens on this track and it does not drop below 13.9 volts. Gary just re braided the track and rewired it and tweaked it,since it hadn't been touched since it was setup 2 years ago.
    So the gest here is that it would be to you advantage to make at least one warm up as this track is not the norm from the past several years.I believe that everyone will like this track when they run on it.Its a blend of a little old and a little new so plug up and lets race!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JIMSPOVE View Post
    I remember Mikes track being state of the art when he built it. If he'd get it off the floor and put walls on it, it would be a great track.
    Jim,
    I owe you a few answers.

The track was made low for better visibility.

In the the process of adjusting it, it wound up real low, especially in the Finger.

When I moved to Westmont, I jacked it up as much as was practical.

As far as the walls, I don't get the negativity.

While not perfect, the plus's outweigh the negatives, 10 fold.

Beuf, passing Gugu on the outside, went through the bank wall and still won the heat and the race.

Is that somehow a negative?

I did the same thing at BP, in 2002, in the first heat, parallelogramed it into another time zone, and my car was crap for 39 minutes, and finished 7th.

The amount of equipment that got spared, and the resulting bad vibrations that were avoided, in the last 10 years, is in another stratosphere.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 08-31-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.