Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant---I'll probably catch Heck from this but it needs to be said

DirtReaper ..

Thanks for sharing your story publicly.
    I run/ran into similar BS with building 'class' cars for MY son.

This could be part of the reason guys quit and move over to drag racing slot cars.

Or proxy racing ... LOL

Wish this was in the budget...couldn't find this anywhere else on the internet:

Life Like Pro Action 500 Slot Car Race Set - NASCAR
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-10-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fixed link

What's the right answer???

Race O Rama I hear you and feel your pain, my only suggestion is to worry about your raceway and not worry about what you cannot control. Other raceways have tossed the racers who have been doing this. Cut out the cancer before it spreads!! Just beware the ebay crap is going to happen no matter what you do. If a customer brings me a car I know he bought on Ebay and it doesn't work, he will drop dead when he gets his labor bill !!!

Had a guy buy a DiFake-o controller on Ebay, he came in and bragged to my face how he bought this controller for $200.00 on ebay, meanwhile I was selling DiFalco controllers for $300.00. He went to the track and the controller went up in smoke. I didn't laugh in his face, just smiled. When he asked me how much to fix it, without even looking at it, I told him $125.00. He said; now I will have paid $325.00 for this controller, That's right and you still do not have a Difalco you have a repaired DiFake-o.

As far as raceways having to sell stuff at 20% off they are not going to be around much longer, realize they have to sell twice the stuff to make the same profit. Stupid is as stupid does!! If a dist is still selling to someone without a raceway I would like to know who it is so I can stop using them or buy from them only what I need. Please PM me who is selling to whom, I'll say something.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

This has been going on for years and probably will continue till the much talked about(35 years now) total demise of commercial slots. See Doug's "The Back Door" thread. And d!#k heads like Ken-NOH! still get their parts direct from distributors. I don't see a problem with small "Cottage Industry" suppliers selling direct. Many of them offer their wares at a discount to raceways also. But they support the sport by supplying niche items in a niche hobby. But sellers like Ken-NOH! circumventing the very conditions laid down by the distributors themselves is unacceptable.

If your business depends on selling products used at commercial raceways and your business practices threaten the existence of these raceways......well,we call that stepping on your own d!&k.

Support your local Raceway....Or you won't have any.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    I'm not sure I follow your logic Sam, on one hand you're saying that Niche suppliers should be able to sell direct (cut the raceways out) but Ken O should not? How does that make sense. Saying that they help by supplying Niche parts to a niche hobby is a cop out I think as the raceway earns no cut. yeah I know all those racers that buy chassis or motors or whatever from the cottage guys will need braid and tires (if they're not already making their own, I'm sure that raceway owners staring at their monthly operating costs will be glad to hear that. As far as niche suppliers offing at a discount to the raceway, as long as they are willing to sell direct to racers, they are part of the problem. The whole thing boils down to this, for commercial raceways to survive it takes all players to be active in the process. Everyone has to have skin in the game so to speak.

Nobody is demanding that anyone do anything but let's not kid ourselves and think that we can do anything with the thousands of dollars of slot car crap we have without commercial raceways being around.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Simple....

Ken-OH does not produce anything. He does not manufacture low volume items used in particular slot cars. Unless you think Turbo-Blasting is a product? He is a re-seller, not a manufacture. Two different things.

Small manufactures often only supply a limited number of items in very small quantities. There is no way they would or could guarantee a constant supply to distributors. Even if there was a demand for these niche items.

If you can't understand the difference between a "Cottage Industry"type manufacture and Ken-OH I can't help you.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Can't supply in quantities demanded by distribution (you say) yet they still take $$ away from raceways. Not sure I get where that's right or in any way helpful to the survival of commercial raceways.

Here's a thought, so they can't supply the distribution chain, (not a big fan anyway though understand the need) so be it, why not support their local track. probably who's racers are buying direct from them anyway. Buy all you want BUT, across the local tracks counter.
    Last edited by RomanK; 10-11-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Sorry,
    This is still America and these guys are free to venture in capitalism. I'm sure the Cuban Slot Car scene is different.

What this is about is the established chain of supply as laid down by the very distributors that are the subject of this thread. Has nothing to do with vintage re-pop Dynamic brass guide tongues or low volume brass chassis components.

I own and operate a track. Sure, I wish I could ensure everyone in my area, entire East Coast for that matter, bought only from me. But, I need to make sure my business is resilient enough to handle competition. I need to diversify and build customer loyalty by earning it rather than compelling it. I don't have a right to be in business. I have an opportunity.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I do not buy any slot car stuff online, i buy all of the stuff from the slot car raceway i go to, because like to see what i am actually buying and to support that raceway.
    Buying on line to think about saving a few $'s and not buy from a raceway sooner or later that raceway closes up for lack of sales to meet the overhead and make a profit.

What happens when your local raceway closes his doors? Do you just abandon your favorite hobby or still stay interested by buying online.

That's a good question. I would try to find a raceway that is a reasonable driving distance if not then have resort online buying and setup my own home track.

My last local raceway closed in 2010. They were my primary source for slot racing parts. Unfortunately, there is not another track within a reasonable drive. I did find a club/home track to run some cars on. They carry a limited parts inventory. What I can't buy there, I'll buy where I choose, be it local stores, eBay, or online stores. Nobody gets hurt & I spend less money on slots than I once did.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

The model of buying only from a raceway is a myth - as are Pixies, The Tooth Fairy, Bigfoot, Yeti, Father Christmas and UFO's
    Last edited by Zippity; 10-18-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    The model of buying only from a raceway is a myth - as are Pixies, The Tooth Fairy, Bigfoot, Yeti, Father Christmas and UFO's
    I find most of my guys want to buy from the raceway. I've set up a system where they can message me and in order on Mondays or if they really need it I'll order when they ask. If I'm unresponsive they go to ebay. It's on me to be a better place to do business than ebay.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast